Once more unto the breach...

I am still sorting out huge amounts of clutter from various sources and have listed a whole load of items for free on Facebook Marketplace.

Despite the things being free I have been careful to take good photos, I have added a description, stated clearly my postcode and 'collection only' , where something hasn't been tested I have clearly added to the description something like 'This kettle/ lamp. scanner (whatever) has not been tested, has been in storage and is not new- this is free and has no guarantees. For items like jewellery batches I have clearly stated 'costume only, metal alloy or man made (as appropriate', I seriously could not be clearer if I tried.

I really don't know why I bother though, in less than an hour I've had 2 people ask me to post jewellery items and asking me to confirm the carat weight of the gold content. I've also had someone desperate for a piece of small furniture who after agreeing today would be fine to collect then turned round and said they actually wanted me to run it over to them tonight as they are busy all day, so can I make it after 9pm when they get home from the Bingo (this person actually lives around 15 miles away!)

I am now one of those awful people who have just added a line to my description, that makes me sound picky - I've basically said that all the info is in the description, any requests to post or deliver will be ignored.
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Comments

• pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    I got to the point where I gave up and took everything to the charity shop. I concluded my time and sanity was worth more.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,193 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I got to the point where I gave up and took everything to the charity shop. I concluded my time and sanity was worth more.

I have just come back from dropping a whole lot of smalls, mainly jewellery off at the charity shop.I had a rather annoying man, even worse than the normal ones and I'd had enough.

I had a bunch of costume listed, clearly marked alloy, man made, plastic etc. As soon as they were listed he just sent a message 'yes', he followed that up about 5 minutes later with - I need close up photos of the brooch at top RH of pic with blue beads. I didn't respond immediately and about 10 minutes later I go- I need photos PLEASE, I want a close up of the mount holding the stones, you can do this on a good smartphone using the magnifiaction tool when photographing, make sure you take from all angles.

followed by ' also the back, ultra clear and magnified though, each bit on it's own with marks highlighted - your current pic is on a grey background, please use white, a table cloth or sheet will do. Natural light is best or by a window if not.

I did respond with 'this is costume jewellery, please read description' and I got back ' sorry, but I'm 30 minutes away and frankly not going to waste my time without a bit of effort on your part - then sent me all the photo requests and instructions again with the added request that I also magnify and photograph a couple of other bits '

I removed items from sale, plus others where I am getting daft PMs and have just donated it all at a charity shop.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    You can pick them from the first message can't you? I know there are the generic 'is this available' messages, but then you get the rude 'yes' or 'Address pls' and you just know what's coming.

Last one I had I was giving away a perfectly good dining table and had a guy demanding photos of the chairs. He was quite angry that I wasn't giving any away with it. That was the point I also deleted the lot, filled the car and went to the local hospice shop.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    My husband was thinking Facebook Marketplace might 'suit' him. I think this thread is going to convince him that it won't.
    Thank you for sharing your experiences!
  • Gotta love Facebook buyers, people who ask where you are but don't know how to put a postcode in Google maps are my favourite, it's obviously far easier for me to explain than them look at a map.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,193 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    My husband was thinking Facebook Marketplace might 'suit' him. I think this thread is going to convince him that it won't.
    Thank you for sharing your experiences!

I actually do very well on marketplace - not so well on local selling groups anymore though. The weekend before last I had about 7 collections and managed to off load a lot of things for a very good price. I also regularly list and post items using paypal without any issue. The moment I try and give anything away though it all goes horribly wrong.
    Gotta love Facebook buyers, people who ask where you are but don't know how to put a postcode in Google maps are my favourite, it's obviously far easier for me to explain than them look at a map.

I'm completely fed up of people who don't read the description at all, and ask things like 'how tall is this' or 'what size' when it's clearly already there. I now just have a slightly curt response saying 'as per the description - and then just cut and paste what I wrote originally. I even wondered if some people don't even know the description is there- although it looks obvious to me as there is a clickable link that says 'more' under the photo.
  • soolin wrote: »
    I'm completely fed up of people who don't read the description at all, and ask things like 'how tall is this' or 'what size' when it's clearly already there. I now just have a slightly curt response saying 'as per the description - and then just cut and paste what I wrote originally. I even wondered if some people don't even know the description is there- although it looks obvious to me as there is a clickable link that says 'more' under the photo.

Had people ask how much is it, you have to enter the price when you list and it's right there at the top. Even on a phone you can't miss it.

Don't bother putting much on Facebook as the questions just take so much time.

Started putting in the description, will be marked as sold when gone, is at xxx, please message with day and rough time you want to collect.

It should take 30 seconds to sell something, one person was sending messages for over an hour at 11 o'clock at night. My wife was answering and kept asking me what to say, I said tell her that your husband is annoyed because he's trying to sleep!
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,303 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    I have only had one minor hassle giving stuff away, but I have no compunctions about not replying to people except for whichever response I like, or not until it has gone.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I find a lot of people list things under the free category when they aren’t, so it’s worthwhile stating it again in the listing
  • janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I think my antennae are now finely tuned so when people start being imperious, forget a simple please or thank you or are downright rude, I immediately stop contact.....

I know with Ebay too that when people request to collect at a later date but are very pleasant than I am happy to help. Not so with people who want me to relist and offer a BIN price for tuppence halfpenny.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure