LG Vent

Ok I'm going to have a vent at LG.

Our washer dryer basically needed rebuilding from scratch around 3 months ago. It was still under the manufacturers warranty so after a bit of persuading I managed to get LG to offer me a full refund for the product. All well and good.

But before I could get the refund the unit needed to be returned to their warehouse. I totally get this, obviously they have probably been bitten by people returning a totally different product after they have been paid out. At this point I was thinking it will be picked in a few days, they will take it straight to LG and I will be paid out in a couple of weeks.

Well it didn't start well. Firstly it took the logistics company a few weeks to come and collect the unit. And when they did it was one bloke in a poxy pick up van. I actually wasn't home at the time so my 70yr old Father In Law had to help him lift the unit into the van. What kind of moron turns up on their own to collect a washer dryer?

A few day later LG told me my payout date was hopefully going to be the 28th May which I wasn't particular happy about. My main issue was with word "probably". After a few conversations it turned out that the unit still had turned up in their warehouse even though LG were aware it had been collected.

After a few more phone calls and emails trying to establish if I would be paid out on the 28th May I've just received a call from LG saying it will be the middle of June because they still haven't received the unit. They reckon they have chased the logistics company up but couldn't give me any further assurances to when the unit might actually get to their warehouse. So it might not even end up being the middle of June.

Not having a washing machine is a total pain. It means daily trips to the laundrette which neither myself or the wife really have time for.

My gut tells me that something is a miss with the logistics company to be honest which means this could go on and on. Sadly I really don't have the spare cash to go and buy a new machine. I always ensure products like this are fully covered so if they do go wrong I don't have to fork out for new units.

I've just emailed the CEO so perhaps that might bear some fruit.

As anyone else had this sort of thing with LG or indeed with other companies?

Comments

• Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Consumer rights issues aside, why not ask on local freecycle/cheap selling groups for your area or even buy a very cheap basic machine to tide you over?

Something like
    https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7379239

If you are using a laundrette every day at an average of £3-£5 per load you must be spending a minimum of £21-£35 a week on washing for just a single load with no drying, just a few weeks worth of doing that could buy you a basic machine.

But chances are you could easily pick one up free or at least less than £50 for a second hand one locally.
  • JasonHand
    JasonHand Posts: 197 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Fosterdog wrote: »
    Consumer rights issues aside, why not ask on local freecycle/cheap selling groups for your area or even buy a very cheap basic machine to tide you over?

Something like
    https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7379239

If you are using a laundrette every day at an average of £3-£5 per load you must be spending a minimum of £21-£35 a week on washing for just a single load with no drying, just a few weeks worth of doing that could buy you a basic machine.

But chances are you could easily pick one up free or at least less than £50 for a second hand one locally.

Thanks Fosterdog. LG are compensating for the laundry costs but only after everything has been resolved.

I appreciate what you are saying in regards to buying / getting hold of a working unit. But washing machines are a pain to initially get in fitted and then removed because of their weight and I really don't want to go through that process if I don't have to.

I guess when it gets resolved I'll get a tidy sum for the replacement unit, the laundry costs and a gesture of good will.
  • wild666
    wild666 Posts: 2,117 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    What I do with all electrical goods I return is attach a note with all the serial number and that and stick it in the box, as yours was a washer I would have taped it to the inside of a dry door and said after all the numbers REFUND REQUESTED. I also scan a copy of the note and take a photo of it placed in the door/box. then if any dispute arises that there was no note enclosed you send a copy of it and where it was placed in or on the item.
    Someone please tell me what money is
  • What's a note got to do with it?

LG haven't (they say) received the item back yet. They accept it's been collected by their courier/white van man.

OP - if LG accept it's been collected from you by their agent, tell them that's their problem to sort out with their agent, not yours. Tell them you want a refund now.
  • Paul_DNAP
    Paul_DNAP Posts: 751 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Rampant Recycler
    I would politely, but firmly, tell them to get their act together before you start a small claims court action for the replacement and costs in lieu of the warranty cover.
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
  • JasonHand
    What's a note got to do with it?

LG haven't (they say) received the item back yet. They accept it's been collected by their courier/white van man.

OP - if LG accept it's been collected from you by their agent, tell them that's their problem to sort out with their agent, not yours. Tell them you want a refund now.

Yep, this is the way I see it. They have the contract with the logistics company therefore what happens after its left my house really shouldn't be my problem. I have told them I'm going to escalate this further and I've contacted trading standards.

I actually wouldn't mind waiting as long as they can confirm I will definitely be receiving the refund by a given date.
  • JasonHand
    Paul_DNAP wrote: »
    I would politely, but firmly, tell them to get their act together before you start a small claims court action for the replacement and costs in lieu of the warranty cover.

I'm beginning to think I might have to do this. Luckily I have a ring doorbell so I actually saved video footage of the washing machine being taken
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure