Abandoning a house

aardvaak
aardvaak Posts: 5,833 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
My house which I own outright is very large 4000 sq ft part 17 cent. it is a nightmare to heat as no central heating and hot water it leaks water from the roof and loads of water pipes, threadbare carpets and lots of fused lights, full of clutter.

I have had enough and plan to abandon it to whatever - can anyone stop me - tough if they can.

Comments

• missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    It has to be worth something? Why abandon, sell it.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • aardvaak
    edited 19 September 2019 at 11:49PM
    missile wrote: »
    It has to be worth something? Why abandon, sell it.

Believe me it is not saleable apart from the fact there is clutter everywhere judging by how people tart their house up for sale this is unsaleable, therefore valueless, it is also full of clutter which seeing homes under the hammer is a putter off

It is in a rural are

It is not listed it is mine surely I can do what I like with it including taking a bulldozer to it if I could be bothered
  • ka7e
    ka7e Posts: 3,083 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    It must have a monetary value, even as a potential building site! At least get a valuation - from a local auction firm if estate agents aren't enthusiastic. Totally run-down, rural, doer-uppers are some people's idea of heaven.
    "Cheap", "Fast", "Right" -- pick two.
  • aardvaak
    edited 20 September 2019 at 12:11AM
    ka7e wrote: »
    It must have a monetary value, even as a potential building site! At least get a valuation - from a local auction firm if estate agents aren't enthusiastic. Totally run-down, rural, doer-uppers are some people's idea of heaven.

As I have said it is full of clutter that I can not now be bothered to remove as seen on homes under the hammer that seriously puts people off and on there it is usually have a basis to start here I don't know where anyone would start

This place is making more and more depressed to the point of desperation
  • Isn't this a repeat of a thread from a year or two ago?
  • Isn't this a repeat of a thread from a year or two ago?

There was another thread by another poster who insisted his home had no value, but I think that was a flat rather than a house..

As others have said all land has a value and if the OP wants to be totally free of this property they should sell it, unless they want to go on paying council tax on a property they no longer occupy.
  • aardvaak
    I now feel so depressed that I sit on here most of night and hardly have any sleep - I can't
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    What do you really want from these two threads?
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    It has probably got worse but as a building site that won't be an issue.

Why did you not sell last time you had a moan in feb 2018.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5800983

Earlier this year you were talking about major renovations that you could not afford.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6040165

Not sure when you inherited but there are posts back as far as 2013 that suggest you needed to review your plans for the property based on your resources.

I suspect you are in Suffolk(Ipswich area?) and that will be a building plot worth some money

Probably enough to free you from your burden and buy a small place outright.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    OP has a history of just letting things drift along and not taking positive action.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5579632
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2786522
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family