SVS Securities - shut down?

MK62
MK62 Posts: 1,442
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
Forumite
edited 3 August 2019 at 6:12AM in Savings & investments
I tried to access my account this morning and it just times out (eventually).

There are some rumours online that it shut down yesterday, but it's not exactly plastered all over the place, and I've never heard of the sites carrying the rumours (so no idea how reliable they are).

https://www.shareprophets.com/views/44019/breaking-svs-securities-shutting-down

https://www.valuethemarkets.com/2019/08/02/svs-securities-another-broker-bites-the-dust-how-much-trouble-is-aim-in/

I did a quick search on here but came up with nothing.....this kind of thing is usually on here pretty quickly though tbh....

Comments

• jamei305
    jamei305 Posts: 635
    Forumite
    They are currently being chased by creditors for £50 million, which may or may not be related:

https://www.thebureauinvestigates.com/stories/2019-05-07/how-major-banks-turned-a-blind-eye-to-the-theft-of-billions-of-pounds-of-public-money
  • pafpcg
    pafpcg Posts: 878
    Forumite
    Oh, drat!

I couldn't login yesterday (2nd Aug) to withdraw an expected dividend payment. I sent an email but have had no response.

I guess I'm now an unsecured creditor for the £200 dividend and locked-out from the three investment trust holdings I had with them as nominees.
  • jamei305
    jamei305 Posts: 635
    Forumite
    Now mentioned in ThisisMoney: https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/investing/article-7317981/STOCK-WATCH-50-50-bet-HSBC-share-buyback-lose-lose.html

No doubt more mainstream sources will cover it tomorrow.
  • Toki
    Toki Posts: 288
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Am I right in saying the first £50k in an ISA is protected by the FSCS? Anyone been through similar with Beaufort Securities? What happens from here on?

Thanks in advance.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,068
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 4 August 2019 at 7:06PM
    It would appear I've dodged another bullet! Left them soon after they rebranded SVS-XO and hiked their fees.
    Toki wrote: »
    Am I right in saying the first £50k in an ISA is protected by the FSCS? Anyone been through similar with Beaufort Securities? What happens from here on?
    The first £50k£85k, whether in an ISA or not, is covered by the FSCS, though I doubt it will come to that. No reason to think at this stage that their clients' investments have not been ringfenced. Most likely another firm will take on these accounts.
    pafpcg wrote: »
    I guess I'm now an unsecured creditor for the £200 dividend and locked-out from the three investment trust holdings I had with them as nominees.
    You won't be an unsecured creditor unless there has been fraudulent activity going on behind the scene. Cash held on the platform should be ringfenced also.
  • Toki
    Forumite
    masonic wrote: »
    The first £50k, whether in an ISA or not, is covered by the FSCS, though I doubt it will come to that. No reason to think at this stage that their clients' investments have not been ringfenced. Most likely another firm will take on these accounts.

You won't be an unsecured creditor unless there has been fraudulent activity going on behind the scene. Cash held on the platform should be ringfenced also.

Thanks. Assuming the worst, I have individual shares held, is this covered by the FSCS also?
  • masonic
    Forumite
    Toki wrote: »
    Thanks. Assuming the worst, I have individual shares held, is this covered by the FSCS also?
    I can understand why you might think you would not be covered. FSCS cover does not apply to losses within individual shares, ITs and ETFs. However, this situation is not one in which your investments have lost money, it is one in which your FCA authorised investment firm cannot meet its obligations to you, so regardless of what you have invested in you have coverage for the value of your investments up to the £85k limit (increased as of April this year).
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    The first £50k, whether in an ISA or not, is covered by the FSCS.

Surely that would now be 85k for failures occuring after 1st April 19?

https://www.fscs.org.uk/what-we-cover/investments/
  • masonic
    Forumite
    Alexland wrote: »
    Surely that would now be 85k for failures occuring after 1st April 19?

https://www.fscs.org.uk/what-we-cover/investments/
    It would, and your post crossed with my edit when I realised just that ;)
  • Toki
    Forumite
    I can understand why you might think you would not be covered. FSCS cover does not apply to losses within individual shares, ITs and ETFs. However, this situation is not one in which your investments have lost money, it is one in which your FCA authorised investment firm cannot meet its obligations to you, so regardless of what you have invested in you have coverage for the value of your investments up to the £85k limit (increased as of April this year).

Thank you again. Appreciate your help I should have said that I am DIY (no advice from SVS of Financial Advisor) and hold in SVSXO. Total around £25k in individual shares, Vodafone, Tesco etc.

Hopefully you are right and will find out more tomorrow. Noted Alexland, think you are right. I was reading an old post which stated £50k.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback