UPDATED: Air Source Heat Pumps/Air Con - Full Info & Guide, is it cheaper to run than mains gas?

Comments

• richardc1983
    richardc1983 Posts: 2,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    jeepjunkie wrote: »
    Does it not sit on big rubber feet then the slabs?

Shouldnt make any difference to how the sensors work. THe only issue you could have is ice build up underneath the unit if it freezes when the condensate defrosts then refreezes.

However as stated above the pipe sensors and air sensor are not mounted underneath the unit.
    If you found my post helpful, please remember to press the THANKS button! --->
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    At least Ally 74 knows what a defrost cycle is, and that it shouldn't be happening.

Many householders wouldn't have a clue, and the fault would just go undetected untill they started screaming about sky high bills!
  • Ally74
    Ally74 Posts: 101 Forumite
    Does it not sit on big rubber feet then the slabs?

No, straight onto the slabs.

Waited in for the engineer today but just had a call to say he will be out tomorrow now.

He said he will be looking at the sensor when he comes and that a moisture problem has more or less been ruled out. I will mention the refrigerant charges to him.
  • Hmmm... mine sits on big anti-vibration rubber feet. Also means if we get heavy snow it should still sit above the snow. Friends seem to be the same unless wall mounted.
  • lovesgshp
    lovesgshp Posts: 1,413 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Ally74 wrote: »
    No, straight onto the slabs.

Waited in for the engineer today but just had a call to say he will be out tomorrow now.

He said he will be looking at the sensor when he comes and that a moisture problem has more or less been ruled out. I will mention the refrigerant charges to him.

Should be sitting above the slabs on rubber feet as JJ says, otherwise the base will rust away quite merrily and no air circulation available.
    As Manuel says in Fawlty Towers: " I Know Nothing"
  • richardc1983
    Geotherm wrote: »
    Should be sitting above the slabs on rubber feet as JJ says, otherwise the base will rust away quite merrily and no air circulation available.

My unit has sat on the slabs directly for the last 3 yrs and no problem with rust. Yes snow used to build up in front and behind when it was snowing which is one of the reasons I have had the unit now mounted on the wall.

Whilst it was mounted this way I never had an issue with defrost cycles. Get them to check the refrigerant charge of the unit etc. if it is going into defrost without any actual ice on the back something is telling the controls that a defrost is needed. This can usually mean an overcharge or undercharge of refrigerant.

He also needs to check the calibration of the sensors. Not likely these at fault as it is a new unit.
  • lovesgshp
    lovesgshp Posts: 1,413 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    My unit has sat on the slabs directly for the last 3 yrs and no problem with rust. Yes snow used to build up in front and behind when it was snowing which is one of the reasons I have had the unit now mounted on the wall.

Whilst it was mounted this way I never had an issue with defrost cycles. Get them to check the refrigerant charge of the unit etc. if it is going into defrost without any actual ice on the back something is telling the controls that a defrost is needed. This can usually mean an overcharge or undercharge of refrigerant.

He also needs to check the calibration of the sensors. Not likely these at fault as it is a new unit.

Sorry Richardc1983. IVT units specify 50mm above the slab.
    Sensors can go wrong, as with anything else electrical feeding information back. Over a number of years, I have known it to happen in different situations.
    To check the refrigerant, there is normally a "sight glass" in which you can see if there is excess air, approx 30 secs after the compressor starts ( on the first start, the air is common ),this is like on some cars for aircon and shows it needs recharging.
    As Manuel says in Fawlty Towers: " I Know Nothing"
  • Geotherm wrote: »
    Sorry Richardc1983. IVT units specify 50mm above the slab.
    Sensors can go wrong, as with anything else electrical feeding information back. Over a number of years, I have known it to happen in different situations.
    To check the refrigerant, there is normally a "sight glass" in which you can see if there is excess air, approx 30 secs after the compressor starts ( on the first start, the air is common ),this is like on some cars for aircon and shows it needs recharging.

I dont doubt that it is better to have it mounted off the slab but I was just saying I have had no issues with how my outdoor unit was mounted other than the snow and the large lake of ice that would build up in front of the unit during extreme cold temps. Even if it was 50mm above the ice would still build up.

Sensors I agree can and do go wrong I just wouldnt expect it on a new unit but if they still cant find the fault after checking the sensors etc then given the unit is new they need to replace it.
  • I dont doubt that it is better to have it mounted off the slab but I was just saying I have had no issues with how my outdoor unit was mounted other than the snow and the large lake of ice that would build up in front of the unit during extreme cold temps. Even if it was 50mm above the ice would still build up.

Sensors I agree can and do go wrong I just wouldnt expect it on a new unit but if they still cant find the fault after checking the sensors etc then given the unit is new they need to replace it.

The rubber feet bring it much higher of the ground than 50mm as the unit require a good flow of air all around it.

May I ask if you get vibration through the wall etc? When we enquired about this nobody would put it on the wall for this reason even though we have seen loads on walls... It's fine where it is as it gets the sun and is well off the ground etc but thought i'd ask...

Cheers
  • richardc1983
    The rubber feet bring it much higher of the ground than 50mm as the unit require a good flow of air all around it.

May I ask if you get vibration through the wall etc? When we enquired about this nobody would put it on the wall for this reason even though we have seen loads on walls... It's fine where it is as it gets the sun and is well off the ground etc but thought i'd ask...

Cheers

Not noticed any vibrations yet being inverter. It has rubber mounts that touch the wall to try keep vibration at bay.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback