Three Different Pensions

My husband is 60 this month and will be drawing three small pensions. Each company have advised him of the amount and that they will tax him on an emergency tax code month1.
Is it possible to visit our local Inland Revenue Office to ask them to sort it out as there are three diffent tax offices involved, or does he have to contact each one? He has a fear that he will be overcharged on his tax.

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    If they are personal pensions, they can be amalgamated into one annuity using the open market option or transfer option. These can often mean better pension income and one tax office.

If they are occupational schemes, that option will probably not exist. The main one (if over the personal tax allowance) should have the tax code and the others put on BR or 0T. Then you should complete a tax return each year to make sure its correct.

Alternatively, you can ask the IR to split the tax code but that can often depend on the tax offices concerned and the amount of the pensions.

When your husband gets to 65, it will be mostly irrelevent anyway as the state pension eats most of the tax code and only 1 of the pensions then will keep the tax code and the other 2 will go BR.

There is nothing to fear about overpayment as long as your husband fills in a tax return each year. You dont need to receive a tax return to complete one. You can download one or ask the IR to send one.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure