PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

shortbread recipe

Comments

• champys
    champys Posts: 1,101 Forumite
    an old lady i used to know made fantastic shortbread and told me the secret was using icing sugar instead of ordinary sugar. has anyone ever tried this? is it true?
    "Remember that many of the things you have now you could once only dream of" - Epicurus
  • freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Hi champys, I usually use granulated as it's cheaper (my recipe calls for caster), but I don't see any reason that you couldn't use icing or maybe half and half?
  • Ianna
    Ianna Posts: 581 Forumite
    This recipe looks fabulous...can I make it without cornflour though?
  • Shortbread

Unbelievably easy and unbelievably tasty!
    Just rub 125g butter, 50g caster sugar and 175g flour together in a big bowl until it looks like bread crumbs. Add a tablespoon of milk to the mixture and knead for a minute or two until it forms a smooth ball of dough then pop in the fridge for half an hour.
    Turn onto a floured surface and roll out the dough until it's 1cm thick. Cut out biscuit shapes using a biscuit cutter or upturned cup. Reshape the scraps and cut more rounds. Place the biscuits on a baking tray and !!!!! with a fork.
    Bake in a 180 degree oven for 15 minutes. This is the only tricky bit ... leave biscuits to cool on the tray.
    You can store them in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks but they'll probably be eaten well before then.
  • sandy2_2
    sandy2_2 Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    Women's Institute recipe

225g (8oz) softened butter
    115g (4oz) icing sugar
    225g (8oz) plain or SR flour
    115g (4oz) cornflour
    caster sugar to dredge

Cream butter and sugar, then blend in flour and cornflour. Grease a swiss roll tin and press mixture in firmly. Bake at 150 degrees c (fan oven) for 40-50 mins until golden in colour. Leave to cool in the tray for 10 mins and dredge with caster sugar. Cut into fingers and put on wire rack to cool totally.
  • Trishh_2
    Trishh_2 Posts: 275 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks Looby, sounds easy enuff :beer:

I'll let you know how I get on with that one.

Cheers
    :beer:
  • Trishh_2
    oooops! Missed your post there Sandy. Thanks for the recipe, sounds yum as well! It's hard to get a shortbread that actually does taste like the real thing.

• Hee hee I've just noticed it didn't let me type "p r i c k" with a fork!!!!:rotfl:
  • Trishh_2
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Well I've taken a batch of shortbread cookies out of the oven .... made Christmas Tree shapes :j

I used Sandy's recipe as I hadn't tried one with cornflour in it, before. They're gorgeous!
    I'll have a go at Loobys recipe for the next batch. Thanks again to both
    of you :beer:
    cookiesdi4.th.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business