How much do you pay for your gas and electricity?

Options
Hi,
I was wondering how much you guys pay for your gas and electricity? I have a combi boiler with EDF energy, and the bills are literally doubling every quarter, but they are refusing to come out and check the meters. I live alone in a 2 bed flat, i keep the gas switched off all day, except for:

5 minutes to heat the water so i can wash dishes
10 minutes to heat the water so i can shower (usually 3 or 4 times per week)
1 or 2 hours to dry clothes (once a week)

Yet my bill says im using £26.52 per day?

Comments

• bengalknights
    Options
    £5 a day 7 bed property 4 receptions rooms (2 houses merged to 1)
  • couriervanman
    Options
    Are you growing something in your attic;)
  • MovingForwards
    Options
    £16 pm for gas
    £28 pm for electric on a pre-pay meter
    Both with (British) Scottish Gas.

I'm in a 2 bed, 60's ex-council flat in Scotland.

Why do you out the water on for washing dishes if it's just you? Wouldn't it be cheaper to boil a kettle?

Is everything (electric) switched off / unplugged when not in use? Obviously not fridge / freezer.

Can you not hang your clothes outside to dry? Or air-dry them inside without the use of radiators?

What is your cooker? Gas/electric/both and what do you use hob/oven/daily combination of both?

How often do you read your meters? Have you checked to make sure the meter you think is yours is the one EDF are billing you for? Are your bills actual or estimated?

Have you kept a daily meter reading log for a month and reported the figures to EDF?

Have you lodged a complaint with them? If so, what did you say and their response?

Lastly, What type of flat are you in? Small/medium/large block? Modern /older/ old purpose built? Or old/older house conversion?
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Vegastare
    Options
    So do they break down the cost i e gas /usage/cost per month and electric.
    Is this estimated or do you have a smart meter for billing or do you send readings and submit. How to they get the quarters readings!
    The price is way out...if you use so little, plus this quarter being summer should be lower. Is this a new build I wonder because could be problem with the other flats when the electric and gas was installed. A comment dropped into a chat with another resident might give you an idea what there cost are

I could see more expense if you had underfloor heating, hot tub etc but no way £175 for a flat. The only thing that eats electricity is the dryer.

As for EDF I would formally ask why they are refusing to not come out and check....say you want there reason so you can escalate your query to the regulator....might help
  • Talldave
    Talldave Posts: 2,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi,
    I was wondering how much you guys pay for your gas and electricity? I have a combi boiler with EDF energy, and the bills are literally doubling every quarter, but they are refusing to come out and check the meters. I live alone in a 2 bed flat, i keep the gas switched off all day, except for:

5 minutes to heat the water so i can wash dishes
    10 minutes to heat the water so i can shower (usually 3 or 4 times per week)
    1 or 2 hours to dry clothes (once a week)

Something's obviously wrong, the question is what? Is it just gas that you're apparently using loads of?

Can you read your meters daily and post some readings on here?

Are your bills based on actual meter readings? Are the meter serial numbers on the bills the same as on your actual meters? Have you tested the meters you think are yours to ensure that they are actually yours?
  • falcieri
    Options
    I'm with Bulb. I have a 2 bed flat with gas central heating combi boiler and electric shower and gas hob. Evened out over a year I use about £27 worth of dual fuel a month.
  • Novice_investor101
    Options
    2 bed mid terrace, live alone, electric shower & combi boiler for heating. I sometimes use a 1.5kw fan heater in my bedroom & a gas fire in the lounge. I pay £49 a month for duel fuel, which builds a hefty credit over the summer to spend on being able to use the heating more in the winter without worrying about cost. My actual bills in the summer are about £20 a month.
  • SonOf
    SonOf Posts: 2,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How much do you pay for your gas and electricity?

I don't because this forum is not the gas and electric section. Its the alternative fuels section (eg. oil, wood etc).

You may have got more responses had you posted in the energy section.
  • RelievedSheff
    Options
    We are currently paying £61 per month dual fuel with British Gas in our new build 3 bed detached with combi boiler, electric shower, washer dryer, dishwasher etc.

We have been in this house since April and have built up quite a lot of credit to use over the winter months.

I suspect next year we will be able to drop the direct debit amount down to closer to £45 per month. As an example we have used less than £10 of gas since June and use roughly £1 per day on electric when averaged out over the month.
  • frugalmacdugal
    Options
    Hi,

Wow :eek:, nearly £800 a month, I don't use that in a year.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure