Any tips for getting National Trust membership discounted?

Have been dithering over National Trust membership for husband and myself wondering if I will get enough use to pay almost £70. We are going to Northern Ireland for a few days and will go to a couple of properties and several beaches where you pay for parking so would get some good use right away.
Just wondered if there were any offers anyone knew of? Thank you

Comments

• Although married, I have a single membership for the National Trust which is obviously cheaper than joint. Every time we go I only have to pay for OH and of course the parking at properties is covered by my membership.

We find it quite amusing when some of the snootier NT stewards say "Perhaps your friend would be interested in joining" as they look him up and down. They obviously think we are an illicit couple LOL!
    "Go placidly amid the noise and haste and remember what peace there may be in silence": Desiderata
  • I personally wouldn't bother. OH has membership but just to get the free parking when hiking.
    Save £200 a month : [STRIKE]Oct[/STRIKE] Nov Dec Jan Feb Mar Apr
  • moneylover
    moneylover Posts: 1,660 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    yes, actually it might be a good idea to get single - a lot of what I need covered when we go to Northern Ireland next week is parking. I will go back to the NT website and take another look.
    Would I have to be driving or is just being in car enough?
  • I think as long as one of the people in the car, be it driver or passenger, has a National Trust membership that is OK to cover the car park.

I don't drive and it has never been queried anywhere we have visited.
    "Go placidly amid the noise and haste and remember what peace there may be in silence": Desiderata
  • apt
    apt Posts: 3,188 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Parking charges tend to be a lot lower than in Northern Ireland than England. The high charge I came across was Giants Causeway which is £6 until the 'visitor experience' opens when the parking charge is replaced by a visitor charge. However, you could avoid the £6 by parking at the nearby pub and having a drink there.
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Use a cashback site.
  • LunaLady
    LunaLady Posts: 1,625 Forumite
    I got mine through Quidco - I got 10% cashback on our membership.

We go to Belton House alot, and Wimpole Hall. After three visits I made the initial outlay back in savings.
    SPC #1813
    Addicted to collecting Nectar Points!! :D
  • LunaLady
    LunaLady Posts: 1,625 Forumite
    Also, once you have been a member for a year, they send you an offer to renew.
    SPC #1813
    Addicted to collecting Nectar Points!! :D
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Many years ago we joined the Scottish NT which gives you access to all the English and Welsh NT places (not sure about NI) and was a lot cheaper than joining the English NT!

If you pay higher rate tax you can get 25% tax relief on your membership, or if you claim tax credits you can offset it against the income you declare and get more in tax credits.
  • moneylover
    moneylover Posts: 1,660 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    LunaLady wrote: »
    Also, once you have been a member for a year, they send you an offer to renew.

I think that to get cheapest on website you have to do direct debit though so I suppose automatic renewal.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure