PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What do you do for Christmas dinner?

Comments

• 23rdspiral
    23rdspiral Posts: 1,929 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver! Xmas Saver!
    we have panetone fried in brandy butter for breakfast. then i go to my nans with my parents, and my OH goes to his folks. then after lunch, we go to his folks for supper and i and OH stay there. it's complicated. but it gets everyone seen, whilst nan hangs in there! So i dont have too much to cook. but i'd love it when one day everyone comes to us.... ahhhh...
    Relax, Breathe, Love 2014 Challenges:Cross Stitch Cafe Challenger 23. Frugal Living Challenger. No buying cleaning products. I used MSE advice to reduce my car insurance from 550 to 325!! & paid it off in full!!!
  • Hi,
    I don't recommend a marriage breakup at Christmas time.

My goal for 2009 - is to be debt free by New Years Day 2010! :T (I'm a bit early. DFD 20/11/2009) :o
    BarclayPlus Loan (8%): £10,918 £10,340 £9,951 £9,622 £9,288 £8,953 £8,615 £8,273 £0 :j
    Egg CC (16.9%): £2,441 £2,010 £1,760 £1,482 £1,082 £97 £0 :j
    Barclaycard (0% BT): £840 £740 £640 £466 £322 £228 £109.10 £0 :j

You seem to have managed to get your debt down quickly since last Christmas, (coincidence or not), so well done. :beer:
  • JayJay14
    JayJay14 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    I think there will only be 3 of us this year but I'll still be going the whole hog as it were.

Dinner will be an M&S chicken. It's in the freezer now and I will bone it out on Xmas eve and stuff it with sausagemeat and stuffing and sew it back up. We will have this with Roast and Mash, 3 or 4 veges to be confirmed, pigs in blankets (HM) plus roast parsnips, onion rings, more stuffing and anything else I can think of:D

Pud will probably be ice cream but we will most likely eat it about 3 hours later:rotfl:

Breakfast is always croisants and the rest of the day is just lazing arround. I do try to prep up as much as I can before the day though as it is my holiday too.

This year I don't think I'll be getting quite so many of the 'extras' in as I will most likely eat most of it if I do......
  • champys
    champys Posts: 1,101 Forumite
    I haven't decided yet, I cook something different every year. It also depends whether there will be anybody joining our Christmas meal, like friends or neighbours as some of those have restrictions in what they can eat.
    I have been reading in a French cookery magazine about doing 'poularde de Bresse' for Christmas, and that might tempt me this year. DH is very keen on scallops, so if I can get them fresh around that time and the price is just about affordable, we might have them for starters. Brussels sprouts from the garden are a must, and so are parsnips. Roast potatoes, I think. For dessert, I saw in the same magazine a chocolate-meringue semi-freddo - that would do the trick. (I have made Christmas pudding, but that gets an outing all on its own, either Christmas Eve or Boxing Day or New Year). Some nice cheeses and a good bottle of wine.
    It sounds like a plan. But as said, it could all still change depending on any guests joining us.
    "Remember that many of the things you have now you could once only dream of" - Epicurus
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I like Turkey (and can cook it quite well now that I have discovered my oven temperature gauge is not accurate and bought a separate thermometer!!!). But the rest of the family love goose so we alternate year on year. This year it's goose. At least there will be lots of lovely goose fat for roasties. Lidl are doing frozen goose for£20 so it's good value
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • Mags_cat
    Mags_cat Posts: 1,427 Forumite
    This year I'm getting Christmas done for me :T

I'm off to my folks for a few days, and have an invite to a mate's (who live close to the parents) for Boxing Day so I won't be having to buy any food until New Year.

Just need to take a few bottles of bubbly (and one obligatory bottle of port) and that's me sorted.

I usually spend Christmas on my own (by choice!) so this year I'm looking forward to a change :D
  • I start the morning at about 7 and put the Turkey in to roast (The smell of Turkey and Pine from the bowls of branches that I cut on Christmas eve, is the wake up call for the rest of the family)
    The veg, cranberry stuffing and pigs in blankets are prepared on Christmas Eve as the mince pies and trifle.
    So all is well with the world and as we open the pressies I have a well deserved glass or three of Baileys.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • Ches
    Ches Posts: 1,120 Forumite
    I worked it out that I have cooked 46 Christmas dinners so no problem to me. I cook a large gammon joint in the oven on Christmas eve and we have slices of that with fried eggs for breakfast on Christmas day. I make mince pies and sausage rolls on Christmas eve some of which we have for supper. I usually do a lamb casserole for Christmas eve dinner. Christmas day I cook turkey, a large beef joint (OH dosen't like pork) roasties, yorkies, pigs in blankets, stuffing, roast parsnips in parmesan, sprouts with chestnuts, carrots and gravy. Sweet is Christmas pud, sherry trifle for those who prefer something a little lighter, mince pies, custard and cream. We have cold meats and salad for tea if anyone has room.

I think any roast is so easy to cook because its just shoving things in the oven at the correct time. I have never spent all Christmas day cooking and I always have plenty of time to sit and relax with a glas of wine (or 2)etc.

One household rule that is set in stone. I DO NOT WASH UP on Christmas day.
    Mortgage and Debt free but need to increase savings pot. :think:
  • I always have plenty of time to sit and relax with a glas of wine (or 2)etc.

One household rule that is set in stone. I DO NOT WASH UP on Christmas day.[/QUOTE]

A girl after my own heart ;) - I have never washed up on Christmas Day or Boxing Day.
    That is the job of DH and kids
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • piglet6
    piglet6 Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    If it was up to me, I would buy it all in from M&S (guaranteed to taste OK, with minimal fuss/effort and washing up!).

However, luckily for me I am married to a chef, so I don't have to worry about these things! We start Christmas Day with "Little Pig Pie" (a large sausagemeat pie) for breakfast with coffee and Bailey's. Sounds horrific, but it is a family tradition! :p

Christmas dinner is usually in the evening and we always have chicken (because none of us like turkey!) with sausages and stuffing and lots and lots of veggies. On Boxing Day we always have Beef Wellington - another "big" meal but mostly because we have Christmas Day with my parents, but Mr P's parents always join us on Boxing Day so that is our celebration meal with them. In the way of veggies, over the two days we will certainly have roast/mashed potatoes, roast parsnips, sprouts, carrots, peas, cauliflower, broccoli, swede/turnip mash, mange tout/sugar snaps, cabbage (white/green/red!) and anything else that looks good in the supermarket in the days running up to the 25th (we all love veggies - almost more than the meat! - and we also love bubble and squeak with cold chicken/beef between Christmas and New Year, so tend to overcook veg quantities in preparation! :rotfl:).

For dessert, on Christmas Day it has to be Christmas Pudding, and on Boxing Day we have a Pannetone with a cream/marmalade/brandy/champagne sauce. :T

Traditionally, we always buy a cheese board and biscuits, but we are yet to manage to eat it on Christmas or Boxing Day (eyes bigger than belly syndrome!) so we tend to eat it for lunches/suppers between Christmas amd New Year... ;)

Piglet
    x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family