Grand Central train - left early without me!

Options
I booked to go to the Cake n Bake Show in May this year as a present for my sister. It was too early to book train tickets, which I did on July 10th online. I had to enter my email at the time. I printed my tickets that said 8:05am departure. We got there just after 7:50, but by the time we reached the platform the train had gone at 7:55am. The Northern Rail man was very helpful and called Grand Central who insisted the train left at 8:05am, the Northern Rail man said he was wrong as it had already left. He suggested to the Grand Central man that it was their fault, as we WERE there on time according to our tickets, and they should pay for 1st Class travel (an upgrade) via another operator. The GC man said he would only consider refunding us any extra expense. I had to pay £188.40 for two single standard class super off-peak tickets on my credit card. I lost an hour and the day was spoilt.
I wrote to GC CS in York and got a reply from CrossCountry via email. I then got a cheque just to cover the £188.40 and an explanation that they had been expecting engineering work which didn't happen and they had tried to contact everyone via email and somehow we were missed. Considering I did not put my email on the complaint letter, amazingly they found my email from their records.
Question is - SHOULD I ACCEPT THEIR OFFER? It strikes me they have pretty much done the absolute least they could get away with :mad:, so what should I do next?

Comments

• newfoundglory
    newfoundglory Posts: 1,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 15 October 2012 at 7:42PM
    Options
    To be honest, i'm surprised you got your £188 back! Getting cash from a train operator is like getting blood from the hardest stone in existence.

What you have to realise, is that typically train operators will always try and find someone else to blame - to maximise profits.

You already had them for £188 (their fault, which they'll deny), so I doubt you will have much luck getting any more off them :rotfl:

I am wondering if you could take them court for breach of contract, but i'm not sure how you'd you reach a suitable amount to claim as you haven't lost anything...
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If that covers your consequential losses and only set you back an hour then an easy yes.

Being an hour late shouldn't have ruined the whole day.
  • sun-n-moon
    Options
    Take the money. S..t happens.
  • Livingthedream
    Options
    I think you've done well to get your £188 back without to much of a fight, However, I would cash their cheque and chance my arm, a letter thanking them for refunding your tickets but stating how disappointed you are, that due to Grand Central's incompetence you had a rotten day and have lost faith in their company and won't travel to London with them again.

You never know you might get some travel vouchers in the post as recompense to try Grand Central Trains again.
    Whoa! This image violates our terms of use and has been removed from view
  • Standy
    Standy Posts: 37 Forumite
    Options
    I think you've done well to get your £188 back without to much of a fight, However, I would cash their cheque and chance my arm, a letter thanking them for refunding your tickets but stating how disappointed you are, that due to Grand Central's incompetence you had a rotten day and have lost faith in their company and won't travel to London with them again.

You never know you might get some travel vouchers in the post as recompense to try Grand Central Trains again.

I have tried to follow what you suggested as I was minded to anyway. I shall let you know how it goes!
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,285 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A note to those people who suggested legal action: train operators have a special legal status and are exempt from most of the laws about liability that apply to other entities.
  • Livingthedream
    Options
    A note to those people who suggested legal action: train operators have a special legal status and are exempt from most of the laws about liability that apply to other entities.

That's quite a broad brush statement, whilst I know and understand the special legal status the Railways have regards to Byelaws and RA 1889 these regulations don't remove any liability the Railway has to it's passengers once a contract is formed between them.

So could you please give a reference to this special legal status that exempt them from liability.
    Whoa! This image violates our terms of use and has been removed from view
  • Standy
    Standy Posts: 37 Forumite
    Options
    Result! Also got two free tickets to London at a time of our choosing for nothing, so I'm happy and will forgive Grand Central!:beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure