PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Buying slow cooker

Options
After reading all about slow cookers on here and seeing all the excellent recipes I've decided to invest in one myself. Got two to choose from in my local electrical store, both of which are good value, and wondered if you could offer any advice on which model to choose. Theres the anthony warrel thompson one (see http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000C78PT/203-0135550-4278329) and the good old morphy richards (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000C6WH1/ref=br_lf_li_1_2/203-0135550-4278329) one.

I plan on cooking soups, stews and casseroles and we are a family of two adults and one child (aged 7).

I really dont know which one to get, would appreciate your advice !

Karen x

Comments

• calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have a 3.5L one for two people and it is massive.

Mind you I have only ever cooked rice pudding and a gammon in it so far :rotfl: need to get a joint of meat to try out in there.

Anyway will you be cooking chickens if so then you will need a bigger one. But the amount in size is referring to the size of the crock and not the working capacity as I am sure the MR one has a cooking capacity of 4.5L so about three quarters full. Not sure on the AWT one.

But I am sure some kind slow cooker expert will be along soon with better advice then I can give.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • crossleydd42
    Options
    Surprisingly, size is also important with a slow cooker - I'd go for the 6.5 litre Morphy Richards one with a family your size.
    "Some say the cup is half empty, while others say it is half full. However, this is skirting around the issue. The real problem is that the cup is too big."
  • studentnurse
    Options
    I'm just a bit worried about not being able to fill it up ! Thanks for the advice x
  • studentnurse
    Options
    The MR model is only £24.99 in Currys at the minute, with the AWT one at £29.99, just in case anyone else is looking around for one at the minute.
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    I have this one, about £41 on ebay or £50 from Amazon, also from John Lewis I think.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002APCJM/qid=1132442024/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/202-3225545-6142240

We are a family of six and it is big enough for a stew for us, cooks large quantity of rice but only steams a small amount of veg. We don't eat meat so don't need one that will take a chicken. I'm really pleased with it as a slowcooker and rice cooker.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi studentnurse,

I wouldn't be without my slow cooker but it's years old, so I can't really advise on buying a new one.

Here are some older threads that may help though:

Which Slow cooker?

Slow cooker!!!

I wanna: large slow cooker

Pink
  • SummerWren
    Options
    Hello,

I recently got a slow cooker (the Anthony Worrell Thomson one) but found it was too big for my family (only 3 of us) and it seemed to boil the food instead of slow cooking it as I couldn't fill it enough. I ended up returning it and getting the Cookworks 3.5 L round slow cooker from Argos (19.99) which seems to be just the right size and makes some nice meals!

Summerwren.
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've already got a slow cooker which I've had about 5 years and use it about twice a week. But the other day I decided to look at the slow cookers in Asda and couldnt believe how much they have advanced in that time. It makes my plug it in and switch it on one look inferior. But I suppose they all do the same job!! :)
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • Karina1234
    Options
    I just bought afew hours ago a 3.5l slow cooker from argos. Was £23.00 noe £11.49. Bargain. would normally only cook for two people so big enough. Ceck argos. Others are on sale as well if you want bigger.
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Karina1234 wrote:
    I just bought afew hours ago a 3.5l slow cooker from argos. Was £23.00 noe £11.49. Bargain. would normally only cook for two people so big enough. Ceck argos. Others are on sale as well if you want bigger.

Karina,

Was that the cordon Bleu one. As that is the one I have. I had £5 in nectar points so only cost me £6.49 even bigger bargain.

Not a very good recipe book. But does what I want and even on the highest setting the wheel on the electric meterl does not that move that much.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family