IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Suspicious Email....

Hi,

i just received this email, i have had no paper correspondence and every time i try to call the number it got to a voice message saying all lines are busy and to try again.

does anyone know if this is something to worry about or a scam or something.
From: Recovery Parking Warrants / Gwarantau Parcio Adennill <RecoveryParkingWarrants@cardiff.gov.uk>
Date: 23 July 2018 at 08:50:38 BST
To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: Parking Fine / Traffic Offence(s)
Dear Sir/Madam

Re: Parking Fine / Traffic Offence(s)

A Notice of Enforcement letter was issued on (09/07/2018) to address an outstanding Parking/ Moving Traffic Fine.

We are contacting you as your details have been linked to this fine.

For data protection we are unable to divulge any further details, please therefore call our offices on 02920871280 so that the matter can be discussed in more detail.

Please be advised that if the debt is left unpaid, an Enforcement Agent will visit and may seize your belongings. These belongings may then be sold to pay the money that is owed.

These actions will incur further costs;

£235.00 + 7.5% on debts over £1500.00 if it is necessary for an Enforcement Agent to call at your property.
£110.00 + 7.5% on debts over £1500.00 if it is necessary for goods to be removed or sold.

***Please ignore this email if you have already addressed this matter within the last 7 days***

Yours faithfully

Cardiff County Council
Recovery Section

Cyngor Dinas Caerdydd/ For City of Cardiff Council
Gwasanaethau Corfforaeth/ Corporate Services
Blwch SP 9000/ PO Box 9000
Caerdydd/ Cardiff
CF10 3WD
E-bost /Email: RecoveryParkingWarrants@cardiff.gov.uk
Ffôn/ Tel: 02920871280

Comments

• Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    If it is genuine: -
    1. How did they get your e-mail address
    2. It looks like a council ticket and you should therefore take it to Pepipoo. Link here.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Just had the off the wall idea. Try the main Cardiff number and ask to be transferred to the Parking department
  • Thorsson
    Thorsson Posts: 166 Forumite
    I looked and it appears to be a Cardiff Council number, but there are no phone numbers on the Parking Notice pages. The email looks genuine as well. I doubt there is a "Parking Department" per se - the email says Recovery Parking Warrants.

Why not email back and ask if they can prove that this is genuinely from Cardiff Council. If you are not aware of any Parking Notice, say so and ask for a copy.
  • Thorsson wrote: »
    I looked and it appears to be a Cardiff Council number, but there are no phone numbers on the Parking Notice pages. The email looks genuine as well. I doubt there is a "Parking Department" per se - the email says Recovery Parking Warrants.

Why not email back and ask if they can prove that this is genuinely from Cardiff Council. If you are not aware of any Parking Notice, say so and ask for a copy.
    The trouble here is the new data protection laws.
    They will say they can't divulge any information until you confirm your identity.
    You will then refuse to confirm your identity, because you don't know that it's genuine.
    Then you will go round in circles.

I would try and get hold of someone at the council to check if this is genuine. They will have a department somewhere, even if you have to email them rather than speak to a human being.
    Although a practising Solicitor, my posts here are NOT legal advice, but are personal opinion based on limited facts provided anonymously by forum users. I accept no liability for the accuracy of any such posts and users are advised that, if they wish to obtain formal legal advice specific to their case, they must seek instruct and pay a solicitor.
  • nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    INdeed, just call the council and ask to be transferred to the department that deals with parking or parking warrants.

NEVER call a number from an unknown company directly from an email address. It can easily be a scam.
  • Thorsson
    The trouble here is the new data protection laws.
    They will say they can't divulge any information until you confirm your identity.
    You will then refuse to confirm your identity, because you don't know that it's genuine.
    Then you will go round in circles.

Thanks for that info. This looks a scenario that could happen only too easily when dealing with a council.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ever been to Cardiff, Thorsson? I haven't.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Coupon-mad wrote: »

You might get your chance this year CM? Neil Warnock will be offering his own version of a 'keeping a welcome in the hillside' (crazy frog, or what?)
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Thorsson
    Coupon-mad wrote: »

Yes. I've been to Cardiff a couple of times. Is that relevant?
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Just wondered. You know.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure