IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Assistance requested - LBC received

Options

Comments

• psycho101
    psycho101 Posts: 17 Forumite
    edited 14 June 2018 at 10:05AM
    Options
    Thanks for the help so far.

So I called CCBC as suggested. Interestingly the first advice was to fill in the form myself to defend/dispute claim on the basis that no individual defendant named.

I challenged this, on the basis that no individual should be expected to fill it in, and if a claim against an individual would subsequently be raised by Gladstone's an individual defendant would not necessarily want this to be the only point of defence.

They agreed in the end, and the advice changed to sending all of the forms back to them blank, with a covering note to say that this cannot be responded to as there is no individual defendant named.

I plan to keep this covering letter short and sweet, and unsigned (simply perhaps, 'the residents of x address')

I am sure this is not the end of course. But do let me know if there is anything I am doing that is a mis-step at this point?

Thanks,
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,350 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Make sure you keep copies of all the documents you are returning to the CCBC. They might be needed further down the line to prove, for example, the robo nature of the G's operation and their lack of any due diligence, consequently wasting your and the court's time and resources.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • psycho101
    Options
    Hi there,

I could really use some further advice if someone is able to help me please!

As per thread, I was issued with a Claim Form by Gladstones, which failed to name an individual defendant (surname only). I called CCBC and received the advice that a claim couldn't be pursued without an individually named defendant - therefore I should return the forms blank with a covering note explaining that there was no named defendant.

I have now been issued with a Judgement for claimant in default (fine plus costs). The judgement letter contains warnings of goods removed from property if it's not paid etc. I called CCBC again today, explaining all. CCBC told me that they had noted my correspondence, forwarded my last letter to Gladstones and marked the claim as 'not served' (ie claim not served correctly). But Gladstones have still progressed, treated the claim as that I have not responded, and the system has automatically allowed them to process to the point of this judgement.

Naturally, I've queried how this has happened, and whilst the CCBC people on the phone agree that it's not been administered correctly, shouldn't be progressed without an individually named defendent, and no one in my household had the opportunity of defending the claim, they state there is nothing they can do but log again the problem and my phone call. They advised one of three courses of action I could take at this point:
    (1) pay the whole fine,
    (2) do nothing/return the claimant letter again to them with another covering note saying 'not known at this address' - but the caveat that CCBC couldn't guarantee a warrant would not be automatically applied for by Gladstones and the bailiffs would still be round;
    (3) Try and contact Gladstone's and explain their admin fault - no guarantees they wouldn't still say 'don't care' and progress with warrant anyway.

I would really appreciate any advice. I am pessimistic about the latter 2 options, but can't bring myself to believe that Gladstones are able to use a claim they have not administered properly in order to force a payment / bailiff / CCJ, and there is not another course of action I could take to defend a claim that has not been served correctly?

Many thanks,
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    You have another alternative

Apply for a set aside

See the faq #2 for advice and Google too to get up to speed on this
  • psycho101
    Options
    Thanks for the response Quentin. I’ve had a good look at the info on the Set Aside process that is on this forum, and what I can find on google.

A question I have though: the N244 form still asks for the name of the person completing the form as well as a defendant’s name. With Gladstone’s failing to name a defendant and not wishing to acknowledge that I am in any way responsible, what is the best way of completing this??

Advice gratefully received!?!

Another thought, because CCBC deemed the initial claim for Gladstones as ‘not served’ is there any mileage in trying again to push back with them that they should not have then administered the Judgement for Claimant in default? Rather than accepting the ‘it’s been processed now, nothing we can do’ response?

Because I find myself in this bizarre situation where Gladstone’s haven’t named a defendant, and yet the threat of bailiffs looms over my family’s household, I’m wondering if I’ll have to employ a solicitor in order to defend.

Any help is really appreciated
  • Quentin
    Options
    To whom is the judgement addressed??
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    To whom is the judgement addressed??

My thoughts exactly.
  • psycho101
    edited 18 July 2018 at 7:22PM
    Options
    It's simply addressed to a surname again - same as the claim form was
  • Quentin
    Options
    If you decide on applying for a set aside then It should be apparent to the court when reading the grounds for the application include the claim being not served correctly why the defendant name is unidentifiable, and merely a surname
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It would appear that there is a judgment that cannot be enforced. I'd write to the judge (in your own name) asking what to do and explaining. The court staff cannot give legal advice.

This should have gone straight back to the judge and, ideally, C should have been notified by return that the claim form was defective.

This is obviously defective and needs to be set aside. It cannot be enforced against any individual.

I'm not even convinced the o/p can or should apply to set aside when the judgment isn't against him (technically speaking)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure