University Challenge x 2

Comments

• Hi Lizzie and thank you - someone had told me this at work actually but I chose to put it to the back of my mind - I think it needs to come back to the front!! It's scary stuff x
    Just one figure from now on - Total Debt as at 27.8.18 - £44,061.26.

Target to be under £40k by 31.12.18.
  • You can SORN a car online. It stays SORN'd until it is taxed. However, you'll only be saving the money on the tax (if paid monthly), the insurance will stay the same unless you remove your daughter from your policy but this may not even change your premiums, and will almost definitely add an admin charge. Maybe worth it if you'll have it SORN'd for the full uni year though. I'd ring insurance company and ask them for a quote to remove your daughter, they'll be able to tell you the costs involved, any refund due, and then you'll have 30 days to decide if it's worth it as the quote will be saved. If it's going to be SORN'd for a longer period, could you sell the car to get rid of the repayments? May be worth it, then buy a cheap run around when your daughter comes back for the summer. Just a thought.

Have a fab holiday!
    Restarted my journey toward financial stability on 1st September 2021 - I will succeed!

Total debt - £39888.13 @ 31.08.21

Current debt - £21270.51 @ 29.12.2023
    Paid to date: £18617.62

DFD: Aiming for end of 2028
  • Hi Jane, just wanting to send you big hugs - you are having it tough at the moment; just try to also look after yourself. I don't have words of wisdom, others have given some good ideas, just wanted to know you are being thought of. You are doing the best you can, which is what matters. Try to bring the grocery bill down, see if you can find a wholesale butcher, I use one and it is so much cheaper than the supermarket prices
    Starting Total in September 2019 = £38287.77
    Current Total = £25534.10
    33% of debt paid off so far

Debt Free by Christmas September August July June 2023!
  • Hi Narola

That's so kind of you, thank you for your kind words it means a lot. Xx

I've taken MSE advice and started the process to switch energy providers as I was on BGas and their offer is coming to an end.

Went with OVO so here's hoping for the best.

• MissShoes
    MissShoes Posts: 1,283 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Could you Airbnb your DT's rooms when they're away? Or get some short term lodgers or students in like Brizzledoes?

That way rooms could be free for when DTs visit after each term but could generate an income for you?

Shoes x
    • DFD 4th July 2015
    • MFD 1st October 2021
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Plain_Jane wrote: »
    Hi Narola

That's so kind of you, thank you for your kind words it means a lot. Xx

I've taken MSE advice and started the process to switch energy providers as I was on BGas and their offer is coming to an end.

Went with OVO so here's hoping for the best.

Ovo are great, I have been with them for a while. An easy to use website and very good customer service should you need to contact them x
  • Thanks Dawn

I saw they had a good rating on the MSE email this week. Looking forward to changing from BGas. Do you know what happens to the smart meter BGas put in? Does that have to be removed??

• Hi MissShoes sorry I missed your post the other day. We only have a small 3 bedroom house which really wouldn't lend itself to airbnb and the DTs would be back some weekends. I really want their rooms staying as they are (well a lot cleaner and less cluttered)!!

It's been a restful time in Devon we've not eaten out once! Home on Monday and will be bringing some £££ home. It seems a long time between paydays to see the debt starting to go down. I'm worried that DT1's car is going to need a service as it is at 60000 miles - she can leave her car at her bf's who lives near the uni but will still be coming home from there so I think for her safety it would be best to get it done. More £££ though.

She has got an interview already for a job when she is at uni and she doesn't even move there until next week so I'm really proud of her.

Been reading a lot of diaries this week and it does seem like debts can go up before they come down and I know people are struggling more than us and we have our health so that's the main thing. It's just going to be a long hard journey.

• Well done to your DD. Hope the interview goes well. Thinking of you as the time comes for your DDs to move.
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • Thanks Honeysuckle

You too. It's a bit of a limbo time isn't it?

Last day in Devon today and should be taking £200 back - yeah!!!

Need to put £100 back in the EF as used it to get DT's bus pass the other day and I'm figuring £50 each for first week groceries.

From this payday onwards then it is sorting out getting those cc debts down!!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport