Here we can all be heard for a little while. Part 3

Comments

• Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Izadora wrote: »
    The "I'm gonna get eaten but..." one, where someone was having a moan about their friends being able to afford better holidays.

And that led to argument about who was the more Irish? :huh:
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• Lambyr
    Lambyr Posts: 437 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Pyxis wrote: »
    And that led to argument about who was the more Irish? :huh:

No, the Irish argument is on the thread about whether it's wrong to want a weekend to yourself/family.

I don't know what prompted that one. It's 20-something pages in and it's too baffling to try and go back and figure out a cause. :D
    She would always like to say,
    Why change the past when you can own this day?
  • Izadora
    Izadora Posts: 2,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 August 2016 at 6:57PM
    Lambyr wrote: »
    I don't know what prompted that one.

One of the OP's in-laws is Irish.

One poster commented that she hoped it was the mother, as she'd now got an image of a stereotypical Irish matriarch in her head.

Another poster related a story of her family who lived in the wilds of Ireland.

A different poster took exception to how she portrayed Irish people and it all kicked off from there.

Seems perfectly reasonable to me :D
  • Has D ever had treatment for his night terrors, Georgie? I used to get those and they are simply awful, at the time you cannot define between your dreams and reality at all. They are absolutely terrifying. In my case we just kept increasing the antipsychotic until I was too drugged to wake up anymore, I still scream and cry in my sleep but I am rarely aware of it now. D has my sympathies, there are several techniques for controlling them if he ever wants to try. I hope today went as well as it could and enjoy the film.

Well done on your first week, Lambyr! E's dad is a wise man. When I was a manager I always asked staff if they would mind...?, or if they were willing to...? or could you do such and such for me please? The way requests are phrased has a huge impact on how people feel about responding and it makes for a far happier work life. As does thank you, I would tell anyone with anyone working for them to use as many thank you's as possible.
    Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened - Anatole France

If I knew that the world would end tomorrow, I would still plant apple trees today - Martin Luther King
  • Lambyr
    Izadora wrote: »
    One of the OP's in-laws is Irish.

One poster commented that she hoped it was the mother, as she'd now got an image of a stereotypical Irish matriarch in her head.

Another poster related a story of her family who lived in the wilds of Ireland.

A different poster took exception to how she portrayed Irish people and it all kicked off from there.

Seems perfectly reasonable to me :D

Ahh, thanks! Now if I only knew where the "dumping" thing I mentioned above came from... :D

I do hope that they have never seen the I'm Alan Partridge episode where he spiels off his stereotypes about the Irish... :whistle:
    Well done on your first week, Lambyr! E's dad is a wise man. When I was a manager I always asked staff if they would mind...?, or if they were willing to...? or could you do such and such for me please? The way requests are phrased has a huge impact on how people feel about responding and it makes for a far happier work life. As does thank you, I would tell anyone with anyone working for them to use as many thank you's as possible.

Indeedy! While I would obviously do it all anyway, it does feel nice to be asked politely to do it! And he has said thanks each time I've done something :)

Before I became a carer, I had an office job. Our boss was one of the "I want this done" types, only with the added fun of changing his mind after you'd done it and wanting it done differently... Wasn't very fond of that job!

E's dad's business is very people-focused, so I guess he knows what type of carrots to dangle. I've been giving myself a crash-course in what it is he actually does since I'll eventually be writing website copy for him.
  • Alan Partridge! I love Alan Partridge, Lambyr! I have everything on DVD!
    Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened - Anatole France

If I knew that the world would end tomorrow, I would still plant apple trees today - Martin Luther King
  • Lambyr
    Alan Partridge! I love Alan Partridge, Lambyr! I have everything on DVD!

I also love Alan Partridge! A-haaaaaa! :D

I will never, ever tire of the episode in series 2 of I'm Alan Partridge where he hurts his foot. :rotfl:

Oh and "Dan! Dan! Dan! Dan! Dan! Daaan!! Dan! Dan! Dan! Dan! No, he's not heard me... DAN!"
  • Waves_and_Smiles
    Waves_and_Smiles Posts: 5,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 19 August 2016 at 7:30PM
    WaSp and I have been known to mimic the "Dan's" when we are in car parks. :rotfl:

Also "Smell my cheese!" comes up a lot and neither of us can hear an Abba song without cracking up laughing.

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,731 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Family dynamics - aargh.

ER is still at home. Denying dementia diagnosis but refusing to do anything for himself because "why should I when the children should do it for me." Also saying some very unpleasant things about the children who are caring for him and generally being hard to be around.
    Can't walk in the house to use the toilet but then walks a mile unaided to a friend's house when he wanted something - you get the gist.
    I'm working on the basis that it doesn't matter so much what the diagnosis is because either way the end result is that this is how he is, it's not going to change now, the professionals have done what they can, so it's walk away or live with it.
    Parent however is struggling massively with seeing how ER is now. To the extent that all I'm getting is continual rants about how they're putting it on and parent not wanting anything to do with them any more. Not helped by being the main emotional support for the caring children.
    I can see why parent is reacting as they are. It's a younger sibling and it's hard for them to watch. But it's making me feel a bit useless because parent and I are repeating the same conversations and going round in circles. It's (rather selfishly) getting to the point where I don't want to keep listening to the same sagas over and over again. But I'm not sure what else I can do to help parent come to terms with it all.
    Comments or collective wisdom? (Please don't quote).
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • That's a tricky one elsien, it depends how much your parent is willing to accept. I would say protect yourself firstly and know that it is fine to say that you have had discussion before, you feel that it is going round in circles so would prefer not to discuss it at this time.

I agree with how you are approaching this, whether your relative accepts the diagnosis or not this is their current behaviour so this it what needs to be lived with. How much are the children involved aware of the diagnosis? How do they feel? Really, this is about them as the bulk of the work is falling on them and they should be the ones getting support the most (as well as ER obviously).

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback