PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Weekly Flylady Thread 15th July 2019

Natty68
Natty68 Posts: 3,328
Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
Forumite
edited 18 July 2019 at 10:05PM in Old style MoneySaving

What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

Thank you Valli for last week's thread

It is your responsibility to read the forum rules, please follow them on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have something Flylady-related!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don’t stress about catching up.

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
WM ~ Washing machine
TD ~ Tumble dryer
SC ~ Slowcooker
BM ~ Breadmaker
DW ~ Dishwasher
SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
NN ~ nice neighbour
Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
ETA ~ Edited to add
Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!

MAD half hour - Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stooping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

IF ANYONE WANTS ANYTHING ADDED TO THE LISTS, WHEN EACH DAY IS DUE TO BE ADDED, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO LET ME KNOW

Right here goes:

Monday - Kitchen and Dining Room
Level One

Clean the sink, drainer and taps
Wipe the work surface you can see
Level Two
Hoover and mop the floor
Sort out and wipe out the fridge
Level Three
Clean the WM filters and drawer
Wash the window
Wipe over the hob and oven door
Extras
  • Clean some shoes
  • HHI
  • Deal with a hotspot

Tuesday - Living room, Hall and downstairs Loo
Level One

Drink plenty of fluids...it's going to be a hot one today.
Hoover/wipe the sofas
S&S the sink and toilet
Level Two
Dust the electricals, front, back, sides and underneath
Hoover the floor
Wipe the windowledge
Level Three
HH tidying, decluttering, sorting
Wipe some paintwork, skirting boards, behind the toilet/sink
Extras
  • Order pet supplies or make vet appointments
  • Clean out pets/pet bedding
  • Check you know when sports day/end of term is
  • No pets or kids?read a book or do some craft

Wednesday - Master Bedroom and Landing
Level One

Drink plenty of fluids...it's going to be another hot one today.
Change the bed, hoover the matress, turn it if you can
Level Two
Hoover the stairs, landing and bedroom
Wipe the window ledges
Level Three
Dust any dusty bits
Deal with hotspots/floorobes
Wipe the bedstead
Extras
  • Arrange for boiler service or chimney sweep
  • Recycle any paper/magazines lying around
  • Do something you want to do rather than feel you should

Thursday - Bathrooms
Level One

Drink plenty of fluids...it's going to be another hot one today.
Clean toilets and sinks
Level Two
Change the towels
Hoover and wipe the floor
Wipe the splashbacks
Level Three
Clean out the plug holes
Shine the mirrors
Clean the bath and shower
Extras
  • HHPaperwork
  • Declultter a drawer
  • Me Me Me time

Friday - Children's Bedrooms or spare rooms/rooms of Doom
Level One
Strip, wash and replace bedding
Level Two
Hoover floor
HH tidying or decluttering
Level Three
Wipe the skirting boards
Wash an item of soft furnishings
Clear then dust a flat surface (or 2)
Extras
  • Find a new recipe to use
  • Sort out your receipts/purse
  • Check dates on passports/MoTs/insurance etc
Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
Declutter challenge 2023 🏅 ⭐️⭐️
DH declutter challenge award ⭐️

Comments

• ionafan
    ionafan Posts: 4,402
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks Natty. I always have the best intentions of continuing flying through the week, but never quite make it. Maybe this week.... My hotspot is my desk!
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,916
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    ty.. I'm lurkying!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,321
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Thanks Natty, I'm in this week!

DS is off to London for the week with his boyfriend so I'm hoping to be much more productive as he's meeting him at 8am in town Monday morning so I'll be "child free" until about 8pm Saturday night :dance: I'll miss him but it's going to be nice for him not to be here under my feet or hogging the TV/sofa or complaining whenever I ask him to do a job :o

My plan for the week as a whole is to get my work account 100% up to date, then do my tax return and tax credits renewal, and YAY for the complicated "technically still at school until the 30th August but will be going to uni so hasn't got a job" bit on the renewal. So far the council have sent me 5 council tax bills these past 2 months alone and my bill has gone from £7 a month to £80, then down, and up then down again :rotfl: I'm just going to pay whatever the latest bill says the amount should be.

Also this week I need to go and have a blood test done, then pick up the first packet of antibiotics of a 3 month long course :( Not looking forward to that, but if it finally gets rid of this infection it'll be worth it!

Plans have already had to change as DS has a parcel arriving in the morning which I need to stay home for, so Monday is going to be spent on household admin jobs. I have a massive list of things to do still (excluding taxes/work related stuff!) and I'm hoping to be able to get through them all without a teen in the way (either physically or through the amount of noise he creates which means I can't concentrate) and without a hyper anxious dog as he'll probably sleep for most of the week.

Back in the morning with a list. :wave:
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • BadCat18
    BadCat18 Posts: 1,042
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Thanks for the thread... count me in!

I’m up ridiculously early but despite being shattered I couldn’t sleep....

Full day of paid stuff today, also need to collect the cats from the cattery this morning and am going out this evening. Flying time will be limited to a brief session before and after work. Fortunately everything was done on Friday and we’ve been away so haven’t been here to mess it up again!

I also have some house admin to do, will write it on the list for this week. Decorator coming in a couple of weeks to refresh our bathroom and we haven’t chosen a colour for the paint yet so also need to get on and do that!

Sending hugs to those in need. Have a good day all. X
  • FrankieM
    FrankieM Posts: 2,454
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Morning

I'm in for another week, and also hoping to get something done before and after work, even if it's just level 1s and dailies :)
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,809
    Forumite
    Thank you for all the lists x

OH due home some time this afternoon / evening.

So I am putting off doing the washing until tomorrow.

To do
    Hoover downstairs
    Clean kitchen
    Do floors
    Food shop
    Tip run
    Go and see the folk where I volunteer and see how I get on.
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • roundtuit
    roundtuit Posts: 3,947
    Forumite
    Morning everyone :wave:

No problem, Natty - just glad to see you back :D xx

Also good to hear from jojo xx

dancemum - thank you for your kind thoughts last week xx and Frankie :wave: you are not alone :D xx

I certainly feel better than I did this time last week - even though I have done a lot of 'peopling' over the weekend.

Natty - I had to smile at 'wipe the work surface that you can see' - even I can do that :D

I'm ready for work - as in showered, dressed, packed up, breakfasted - and the bed is made. I'll put out the rubbish / recycling, feed the birds, fill the birdbath, and replenish Sweetie's seed and water before I set off.

Wishing you all a good day
    Rxx
    IT ONLY TAKES SMALL DAILY ACTIONS
    FOR MAGIC TO HAPPEN
    Rosemary Ikpeme
    :D
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,703
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Well I'm here. I really don't expect to fly much though.
    Last week of school. And it will be mad and sad, my friend and colleague retires. Fingers crossed she'll love her gift!
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • I'm in a holiday home for 3 weeks (connected to hubby's work)
    So the only flying I really need to do is to cook a meal each night, keep on top of the washing and hoover under Pickle's dining room chair multiple times a day - there's carpet in the dining room... WHY??????
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • BadCat18
    BadCat18 Posts: 1,042
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 15 July 2019 at 7:54AM
    Hi again

Wash x 1 just finished, don’t know whether to chance putting it out as it’s very grey here.
    Aired and made bed.
    Quick tidy of living room done.
    Kitchen done... all levels (cheating slightly as most of it was done on Friday!!)
    Clothes sorted from airing cupboard, put away the non iron stuff and left the rest for DH to do this evening.
    Paid stuff now, then collect the cats. After work I will s/s en-suite and then I can go out this evening with a clear conscience!!

Have a lovely day all x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport