PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2019 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• cuddlymarm
    cuddlymarm Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Hi Elsie
    Thanks for doing the challenge again.
    I’m still here and plodding along on my yearly challenge. We go on holiday on the 3rd July so although my figures will be looking good it’s mainly because I haven’t needed anything. Any spare cash is going off my cc though which is a positive step. I didn’t realise how much food I had in but this will be the third month of running tin, cans and packets down because we move out for a month for renovations ( we have been told some time in September)
    Once that is done I will be restocking for winter/Brexit/emergencies. I really don’t like empty cupboards, it make me unsettled. But also managing to eat properly, sensibibly and frugally. That sounds a bit boring but it’s not really. We eat really well without spending a fortune.
    Anyway guys good luck for a new month
    Bye for now
    Cuddles
    🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    O.M.G. June is flying, longest day tomorrow.
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Thanks for running the Challenge, Elsiepac.

Please put me down for £120 for July, although the way prices are rising, my DH and I may have to consider putting up the GC budget. Our July follows the calendar month.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,666 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Thank you, elsiepac; I'm going to aim for £400 again. We have 3 birthdays in July but they're all grown-up now so take-always & meals out will come out of my "entertainments" fund. For us it's a 4-weekend month & the only extra expense that might skew my plans is cat-food; I'm going to try them on tins again, as one of the ex-kittens is clearly attempting to grow into an actual snow-leopard & constantly steals everyone else's food. Which means opening more pouches... sigh!
    Angie - GC April 24 £432.06/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    We haven't been around for May or June challenges but we'll join back in for July please.

2 adults, the OH and I, and the budget is to cover all food (apart from date night) and non alcoholic drinks. July goes 1st to 31st.

Budget £200.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,553 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Budgets updated to here
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • Hello, can I join in this month?

My budget is £200

2 adults & 2 old lady cats 🐱 I try to cover all food, toiletries and household cleaning as well as cat paraphernalia.

Wow summer solstice tomorrow! On my bucket list to get to Stonehenge for sunrise!

Pix
    Xx
    🎄The most wonderful time of the year 🎄
    #14 - PAYDTBX23
    #23 - 1% debt challenge
  • Evening all

In again for this month please.

£200.00, this is for 2 adults, 3 cats and 5 chickens and includes all groceries, alcohol, toiletries and pet food.
    Month runs from 01st.

Thanks
    GMAT
    Lost my way for far too long but now back on board to lead a more simplistic lifestyle

Mar PP - UU 24 (£279.46), TA 2 (£ 13.99) IN 12 (£89.81)
    Apr PP - UU 27 (£324.94), TA 3 (£38.50) IN 53 (£216.65), GA 6 (£40.97)
    May PP - UU 0 (0.00), TA 0 (0.00), IN 0 (0.00), GA 0 (0.00)
  • thriftmonster
    thriftmonster Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi, can you put me down for £300 for this month please. I get paid on the 21st so my month runs from the 21st to the 20th. We are at Centerparcs for a week but are planning to take all meals with us and it is carefully meal planned so hopefully won't go over.

Ds2 is home all the time and ds1 and dgf will be home for the holiday. I also have visitors next weekend.

Spend so far - £22.03 (Lidl) but includes for ds2's and dad's birthday cake for this weekend and some chocs for dad as well.
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,553 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 22 June 2019 at 5:24PM
    Budgets updated to here

My new month starts on 26th which is Wednesday. I'm provisionally saying £200 but there is a small possibility I'll be moving house to a slightly more expensive but very lovely place if I'm accepted by the landlord with a guarantor, scary stuff. If I'm not then I'm going to really focus on getting my spends more under control and try and get some little savings built up because this (very stressful) week has really highlighted to me how crap I am with money and I do not like this feeling.

One thing I want to do is stop having so much stored. I guess it's one thing being well stocked up but I keep a lot in my kitchen and I don't think I need to keep so much.
    So for July (whether I move at the end or not), I am going to try and actually use what I have here and not panic if I get near the end of something. Because half of it has sat there for ages anyway so why am I storing it?!
    I've also done a clear out of kitchen cupboards in terms of utensils, pots and pans etc and have a pile for the charity shop. I have a lot left still which is mostly "occasional" stuff, but not sure I want to be rid just yet. I also cleaned all the cupboard doors (amazing how dirty they get and you don't notice until you are wiping them down!!) and currently have the oven cleaning itself with one of those terrifying kits!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport