50 something man seeking to save to retire before 60!

Comments

• Anyone been tempted by those ''Black Friday'' offers?:D. Honestly, when I logged into my email account I found 33 emails offering me allsorts. Logged off feeling like Victor Meldrew lol

Me too. I don't bother looking now unless there is something specific I NEED. If there was you can usually find it same price outside the Black Friday deals. Being a Saving,Sorting,Spending Gal now I am no longer tempted by discretionary spending.

They use it to get rid of discontinued stock anyway or items that are not selling.

Also I loath American imports be they traditions, language or chlorinated chicken! I read in the Waitrose magazine that people are doing Thanksgiving now! Heaven preserve us.
  • I avoid Black Friday deals like the plague. Yes, there may be some genuine bargains, but last year there were also 13,000 'Black Friday' scams! - so buyer beware.
  • MrAPJI
    MrAPJI Posts: 112 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    but last year there were also 13,000 'Black Friday' scams! - so buyer beware.

I can quite believe it. Well I can't top MoL's 33 offers, but I did receive a really 'dodgy' one. It was an invitation (with a big BlackFriday discount) to go to a venue in London where there would be the opportunity to meet lots of Russian ladies who are looking to marry. I promise you, I haven't been looking at any dating or dodgy sites lol. Goodness knows how I came to receive this email - heck, maybe someone set me up :)
  • Anyone been tempted by those ''Black Friday'' offers?:D. Honestly, when I logged into my email account I found 33 emails offering me allsorts. Logged off feeling like Victor Meldrew lol

Not in the same league for having had as many offers in my inbox:rotfl:

But there's no chance I'll land up feeling like (female version of) Victor Meldrew here. I've got my list made out of what I still intend to buy yet (ie clothes to fit in with the "wardrobe" I've worked out for myself and two sets of curtains for the house). That's the list...that's it. Other money I have available will be basically on "consumables" - rather than goods (eg on social life or adding to my savings). I'm on a mission to "up my game" re clothes - having reached the age where I think women should dress in a more elegant/sophisticated way - but, apart from that, nope.....

One of these fine days I'm going to do a major revamp on the garden of this house. On a longer term list - as I'm trying not to think just how much that will cost....:cool:

So - I know what "consumer goodies" I have left to get basically (apart from that garden revamp) and am resistant to advertisers trying to tempt me into anything I haven't decided on.

Recalls one of the few lessons back at my very progressive (albeit State sector) school days latterly - where they were analysing adverts and pointing out to us what emotions the advertisers were trying to appeal to in us. Better late than never trying to remember that....:cool:
  • MrAPJI wrote: »
    I can quite believe it. Well I can't top MoL's 33 offers, but I did receive a really 'dodgy' one. It was an invitation (with a big BlackFriday discount) to go to a venue in London where there would be the opportunity to meet lots of Russian ladies who are looking to marry. I promise you, I haven't been looking at any dating or dodgy sites lol. Goodness knows how I came to receive this email - heck, maybe someone set me up :)

Now that does sound 'dodgy' :D
  • MrAPJI wrote: »
    It was an invitation (with a big BlackFriday discount) to go to a venue in London where there would be the opportunity to meet lots of Russian ladies who are looking to marry. :)

Go on, I dare you :D.
    Actually, I do have some knowledge of the kind of set-up you are referring to. One of the guys who used to work for me actually attended one of those functions. It was some time ago, so I don't remember all the details. However, I do remember him paying a hefty fee to attend, (although this may have been a membership fee allowing for several functions) and in order to do so, the level of income was a determining factor. We were all ''very wary'' of him signing up and there were no words of encouragement for him doing so.
    Anway, to cut a long story short, the guy met a girl who he eventually married and they are still together. He had to meet a load of conditions stating what a Russian bride would expect and there was actually a list. I found the whole matter a bit odd to be honest - but each to their own :). I've met the lady a few times and have to say she's lovely - extremely kind.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 24 November 2018 at 10:57AM
    Man of Leisure - was that you just admitting to this?:rotfl::rotfl:
  • Man of Leisure - was that you just admitting to this?:rotfl::rotfl:

Not Guilty M'lady :D
    No, I met the girl of my dreams when I was at uni and we've been together ever since :)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 24 November 2018 at 12:28PM
    Not Guilty M'lady :D
    No, I met the girl of my dreams when I was at uni and we've been together ever since :)

:think::think::think::think::think::cool:

Not quite answering the question I asked...:cool:

I think Apji might still be wondering if someone set him up here....

Mind you - I've had emails before now of a :silenced::eek::rotfl: nature too - and I was left thinking "They obviously don't know I'm a woman then - to be offering me "Hot women"...:cool:"

Shame that the payslips that turn up regularly from the same email address each time aren't really mine though.....:rotfl: - and I'm not going to investigate what sort of company it is that wants me to click on the link from them.....:cool:

Thinks....wonder if it was that innocent phrase someone on MSE looked up one time (in pursuit of recipes as I recall) and lots of us found ourselves on a very different website to what one would have expected (ahem.....) that turns that sort of email up at times through the wonders of the Internet and all the odd "connections" it makes...
  • crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Anyone been tempted by those ''Black Friday'' offers?:D. Honestly, when I logged into my email account I found 33 emails offering me allsorts. Logged off feeling like Victor Meldrew lol

I try to ignore "Black Friday", I was stung a few years ago, bought a gift for my wife and it was faulty electronic tablet which my wife wanted. After a bit of hassle returning it to ASDA I was told by customer service that they use the opportunity to off load all the "end of line and poor selling items blocking warehouse space".

I decided after that I'd rather pay a little more and get things we need/ want when they are needed rather than as bargains! My current lap top was a refurbished one from my local computer shop. Not fancy but does what I need, MSE, FB, internet searches and e-mail.

My e-mail gets filled with junk and spurious offers too................no Russian Brides though.
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback