Are private hearing aids better than NHS?

Comments

• Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    I have been wearing an NHS hearing aid for years, been changed a couple of times for a newer one. I have recently had a hearing test, a mould made of my ear, and a brand spanking new one issued to me. It's fantastic. When out walking I can hear noises a long way off. They are being improved all the time, the latest ones are brilliant. Can't fault it. Free batteries from the health centre across the road, make an appointment at audiology at the hospital if I need to see someone. No need to pay privately.

ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • Archergirl
    Archergirl Posts: 1,767 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    The batteries may be free to you, but they are not free, the NHS has to pay for them....just saying.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Archergirl wrote: »
    The batteries may be free to you, but they are not free, the NHS has to pay for them....just saying.

Well, fancy that! And where do you think the money to run the NHS comes from? That's right - me, from over 50 years of paying NI contributions and everybody else who has paid all their working lives.

Just saying.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Ilona wrote: »
    I have been wearing an NHS hearing aid for years, been changed a couple of times for a newer one. I have recently had a hearing test, a mould made of my ear, and a brand spanking new one issued to me. It's fantastic. When out walking I can hear noises a long way off. They are being improved all the time, the latest ones are brilliant. Can't fault it. Free batteries from the health centre across the road, make an appointment at audiology at the hospital if I need to see someone. No need to pay privately.

ilona

That's the problem with mine. I can hear things and people down the road, but not the person walking with me. :p
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Ilona

Cheeky beggar. What do you think I have been paying into for 45 years of my working life. Hardly ever used the NHS, one major, 2 minor operations, no long term health issues, fit and healthy at 69 because I eat the right foods and do plenty of exercise, and no medications don't need any. I think I am entitled to a hearing aid and batteries.

Just saying

ilona
    I love skip diving.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    pollypenny wrote: »
    That's the problem with mine. I can hear things and people down the road, but not the person walking with me. :p
    I think that should be solvable - or at least improvable - with adjustment!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Anybody out there have experience of Phonak BD90 rechargeable hearing aids? I'm just about to purchase a pair from Specsavers but of course I have only their recommendation to rely on! Thanks
  • Archergirl
    I know what you are saying re free batteries but paracetamol and aspirin is also available on prescription from the NHS but they are so cheap to buy I think people should buy them themselves, also hearing aid batteries if you can afford to. Just because we have all paid in ( I also worked full time for 47 yrs) doesn’t mean we have to take out every penny we can.
    I am not trying to annoy anyone it’s just what I think, sometimes people wouldn’t even think to just buy them. Where I live you have to go to the hospital to collect them, by the time you pay for parking it’s not a lot of difference, unless you want to spend half the day going by bus.....
  • Ilona
    edited 29 October 2018 at 8:03PM
    I know what you are saying re free batteries but paracetamol and aspirin is also available on prescription from the NHS but they are so cheap to buy I think people should buy them themselves, also hearing aid batteries if you can afford to. Just because we have all paid in ( I also worked full time for 47 yrs) doesn’t mean we have to take out every penny we can.
    I am not trying to annoy anyone it’s just what I think, sometimes people wouldn’t even think to just buy them. Where I live you have to go to the hospital to collect them, by the time you pay for parking it’s not a lot of difference, unless you want to spend half the day going by bus.....

Ok I get your drift, so, I shouldn't be having a free flu jab, a free mammogram, a free cervical smear, and a free bowel cancer test, just because I can. Wondered what your thoughts are on this.

Deafness is a disability, it is the only disability I have, so I would like some help with it.

ilona
    I love skip diving.
  • Archergirl
    My thoughts are have the tests,they pick up things early so prevent further problems, (a cervical smear saved my life) all I said was batteries, not even hearing aids, can’t really see a problem sorry.
    My reasoning is that they are not ‘free’ they have to be paid for by the NHS, any way in which we are able to mitigate the cost to the NHS must be a good thing. If it is a hardship to you by all means get them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure