MBI and Northern Powerhouse Developments

Comments

• Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,931 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    nagromed wrote: »
    I have already withdrawn from the purchase although I did put down £500 deposit to reserve the room pending legal purchase but "refundable for any reason" as promised in their marketing literature.

Did you pay the £500 via credit card?
  • No, by bank transfer and you are probably going to say I am only covered when using a credit card but as refund is clearly promised in the marketing literature and I have a firm of solicitors supposedly representing my interests, I still expect payment to occur even if delayed.
    While on my soapbox, does anyone have the problem that with sites like trustpilot and scam broker.com it seems impossible to post a review even when signed up and dutifully logged on ?.
    Maxcfd.com based on many (95 %) damning reviews are clearly a scam outfit and although I have steered clear of them, what can be done collectively to expose these guys via
    the police, credit card company or some independent crusading group that tracks them down and applies pressure legally or using social media or whatever to bring the scammers to book. It seems most victims recount their situation but eventually concede the money is lost and the scammers move on untouched to the next unsuspecting punter..
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,596 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    No, by bank transfer and you are probably going to say I am only covered when using a credit card but as refund is clearly promised in the marketing literature and I have a firm of solicitors supposedly representing my interests, I still expect payment to occur even if delayed...

Unfortunately if you're paying solicitors it's probably throwing more money away but I hope you have some luck resolving it. Please update us how you get on
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • I think the firm of solicitors TQ Property Lawyers are OK and have not asked for any payment.
    They quoted conveyancing, registration costs etc. but we never got to that stage. NPD has just now sent me a form to fill in with my account details etc. so their moves are at least indicative of payment.
    Time will tell and I will confirm if and when payment is received. The "if it sounds too good to be true it probably is" rule links in with commercial mortgages, apparently running at around 3 to 4 percent, so why would NPD offer ten percent to retail investors unless conventional mortgage lenders had already universally refused them. Should have thought about that a bit earlier !
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,931 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    No, by bank transfer and you are probably going to say I am only covered when using a credit card but as refund is clearly promised in the marketing literature and I have a firm of solicitors supposedly representing my interests, I still expect payment to occur even if delayed.

I would expect nothing. But they may give you the £500 for the sake of a quiet life so they can get on with taking other people's money.

Don't give any money to your solicitors, it won't make any difference. One letter could swallow up the £500 if you do get it back.
    While on my soapbox, does anyone have the problem that with sites like trustpilot and scam broker.com

Scam Broker is exactly what it says on the tin, a website that helps you find scams. Checked the website and there are three get-rich-quick binary options / forex websites advertised at the top. It's one of those Google-baiting "Is BancDeForex a scam, yes it is, you should invest in 94Options instead which totally isn't" websites. Ignore it, leaving a review won't do any good.

Trustpilot is of course a reputable site but as it relies on companies for income, it has more of an incentive to take reviews down when their customers complain about them than it does to leave truthful reviews up. (Their customers are the companies who are reviewed on it, not you. The customer is the one who pays. You are the product.)

You didn't say exactly what problem you were having with your review. Are you having it taken down or are you not able to post at all? If the latter it sounds like a query for tech support.
    why would NPD offer ten percent to retail investors unless conventional mortgage lenders had already universally refused them. Should have thought about that a bit earlier !

8-10% is the sweet spot for this end of this particular market. Lower and people have no incentive to leave the regulated arena. Over 12% and they start thinking "too good to be true".
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,201 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    @ NorthernPD

You need MSE's permission to post as an official company spokesperson

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/site/forum-faqs

scroll down to Companies posting on the forum
  • Posting on behalf of Northern Powerhouse Developments

'Good Afternoon Forum Users,

My name is Tara and I am the sales and aftercare manager for NPD.

I would like to answer your queries on Northern Powerhouse Developments and want to begin by advising that an email was sent to all clients in 2016 and again in 2017 stating the following:

“In, 2015, the substantial growth of MBi resulted in the decision to consolidate the different development and operational businesses throughout the care, leisure and student industries. Northern Powerhouse Developments has been set up to solely focus on the sales, construction and renovation of the hotel portfolio whilst Giant Hospitality Group (formally MBI Hotel Management) provides operational and management control of all our hotel based projects.

Northern Powerhouse Developments has also been allocated to administer the sales of Smithy Bridge, Clifton Moor & Hawthorn Care Village. Our day to day duties will include quarterly updates, arranging site viewings, launch days and any administration relating to annual returns payments. Contractually everything remains the same, there are no changes to the terms of your purchase.”

I can confirm that all the care homes will be built to exceed CQC regulations and once they are built, they will then be sold. At this point, clients will be released from their purchase as per the terms of their contract.

The reason for clients being offered a “divestment” is given the strategy of the business is no longer within long-term operational services to care, we will be selling the care homes once they’re built. Many clients purchased with a preference to longer term income and therefore divesting remains in line with their longer-term aspirations.

Any client who reserves pays £500 reservation fee which is fully refundable if a client chooses to withdraw from the purchase. I can confirm the client mentioned above will receive a refund for their reservation fee. @nagromed if you have not received your refund, please contact me on 01422 344772.

Please note that NPD have dedicated in-house teams to manage all elements of the business. With regard to the comments above; our sales teams both pre-and post-sale would happily assist. Our sales administration team are on hand to ensure all client purchases transact smoothly whilst our aftercare team focuses on clients past the point of purchase, they regularly speak with clients, meet them on site and send quarterly updates to ensure they are always in the know. Should you want more information on NPD’s internal teams please visit our website.

Should anyone feel they require further information from NPD regarding any of its policies or procedures and or existing opportunities we are on hand Monday-Thursday 9am-5pm and Friday 8:30am-4:30pm on 01422 344772.

Thank you

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Hello all,
    I too am a Hotel room investor in NPD, so read all the above & took note.
    So apart from Ashpan who started the thread & other similar investors who!!!8217;s !!!8216;Deal!!!8217; has changed,
    Is there anyone out there that Hasnt received their % income payments ?, or indeed its dried up !
    My inbox always seem to have its fair share from agents promoting this product, but now I haven!!!8217;t
    seen literally anything with regards to investing in NPD !
    (Apart from their own in-house advertising team !)
  • ashpan wrote: »
    i invested in a care home development company a couple of years ago, then known as MBI Property Investments, but now known as Northern Powerhouse Developments. I Purchased a room in an off-plan care home with the idea of a return on my investment commencing in december 2019. They have recently written to me saying that the company has now been split into 3, with the care home i was investing in being transferred to a leisure company that speciaised in selling hotel rooms. They have told me that they plan to sell the care home i invested in as soon as its built as the new CQC guidelines mean that the size of the rooms wont make it financially viable. I have three choices currently, transfer my investment to a hotel room in the next 4 weeks and they will add another 10k to the investment and i will get my returns 12 months early, leave the money in the off plan care home or sell my room in the hotel once ive purchased it. Im pretty confused and disappointed with the whole situation as how do i know that they wont again change things when the time comes to realise my investment. I need to know if i can get out of this as they havent kept their side of the deal ie by constructing a care home and having my room up and running to be able to offer me a return on my investment.
    Has anyone else invested in either MBI or Northern Powerhouse Developments ?

Are you able to share whether your issues have been solved to your satisfaction? Thanks
  • Finbarr123 wrote: »
    Hello all,
    I too am a Hotel room investor in NPD, so read all the above & took note.
    So apart from Ashpan who started the thread & other similar investors who!!!8217;s !!!8216;Deal!!!8217; has changed,
    Is there anyone out there that Hasnt received their % income payments ?, or indeed its dried up !
    My inbox always seem to have its fair share from agents promoting this product, but now I haven!!!8217;t
    seen literally anything with regards to investing in NPD !
    (Apart from their own in-house advertising team !)

Hi - have you invested with NPD and is your experience satisfactory?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure