Default Las Vegas guide and MSE thread 2019

Comments

• nvh
    nvh Posts: 1,652
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    pebblesmax wrote: »
    I think it’s understandable if it’s temporary due to the construction near Linq at the moment.
    do you know what they are constructing?
  • pebblesmax
    pebblesmax Posts: 2,279
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Another convention centre is what I’ve heard. Not sure that is gospel though. Will try to find a link tomorrow. Off to bed now.
  • dontone
    dontone Posts: 4,871
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    nvh wrote: »
    do you know what they are constructing?

I posted a YT video about a week ago where it involved the Hawaiian Marketplace.
    The same bloke keeps posting updates that shows a lot of construction going on and buildings that's opening next year or so.
    I'm sure there is going to be at least 2 new convention centres. One may be at the Linq. I know there is going to be a new bridge a bit further down from there.
    Every time I see a video of Vegas now, I don't recognise half of it. Perfect excuse to go back I think. ;)
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin':T :j
  • Goldust
    Goldust Posts: 526
    Forumite
    Hi all,

Off to Vegas on Sunday with friends. The lousy exchange rate isn't helpful but is it worth driving to the "further out" shopping malls to get the best bargains?

I'd like a pair of trainers and some sunglasses and I wondered if all the malls are similar price or if you can get a better deal by travelling a bit...
  • pebblesmax
    pebblesmax Posts: 2,279
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    North and South outlets are reasonable. Going out to Primm probably won’t be worth it if you have to rent a car. I’ve seen items slightly cheaper, but not enough to warrant a car for the day.

Not in the last couple of years anyway.

Disclaimer: depends what you’re shopping for.
  • dontone
    dontone Posts: 4,871
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 18 July 2019 at 10:21AM
    Goldust wrote: »
    Hi all,

Off to Vegas on Sunday with friends. The lousy exchange rate isn't helpful but is it worth driving to the "further out" shopping malls to get the best bargains?

I'd like a pair of trainers and some sunglasses and I wondered if all the malls are similar price or if you can get a better deal by travelling a bit...

We always got to the south outlet near the airport for the bargains. If you type in 'south outlet las vegas' you can sign up as a VIP. We did it in 2016, took the printout to the customer service desk and got a booklet with deals and discounts in it. They won't spam you or anything, I think I've had about 4 emails in 3 years.

Even if you don't sign up, you can look at the map. I highly recommend Skechers, VF, and Levi's. They are quite a bit cheaper than over here. And there is a place where you can buy an extra suitcase too. ;)

We prefer there than the Fashion Mall. I'm not a massive fan of there, some of the shop workers are extremely pushy. South Outlet is more chilled out.
    Happy shopping.

p.s don't forget. American sizes are different to what they are here so don't forget to try things on. I love it 'cos I can get away with being a size 8 in jeans when I go over. It's wonderful :D
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin':T :j
  • Brats64
    Brats64 Posts: 465
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    We always shop at both North and South outlet malls.

You need to go to both to get best deals, each mall has things the other doesn’t have, there will be good bargains in both.
    We also shop at Town Square and Fashion Show Mall...But FSM is mainly to eat at Grimaldi’s Pizza.
  • Goldust
    Goldust Posts: 526
    Forumite
    Thanks all.... I went to FSM years ago and it wasn't particularly cheap... will try the others.

I'm fine to drive out to Primm (we have a car anyway) and I think some of the group would like to cross the border just for the experience of being in California I guess.

Is there anywhere scenic on or around that route to make it worth out while?
  • John259
    John259 Posts: 1,085
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 18 July 2019 at 3:15PM
    Goldust wrote: »
    Is there anywhere scenic on or around that route to make it worth out while?
    Just south of Primm on I-15 there's a big ascent of Mountain Pass, and the view from the top heading in the other direction (north, towards Las Vegas) over the huge valley ahead is most impressive. Otherwise I-15 south crosses the Mojave Desert all the way to Victorville.

But if you're ok with the mileage, I-15 north goes past Valley of Fire State Park, through the Virgin River Gorge to St George (and then way up north to Salt Lake, etc). Just north of St George there's a good quality state highway east to Springdale and Zion National Park which is a magnificent place.

Map: https://goo.gl/maps/KaVkEw8rezmbcLDg8
    Zion: https://www.nps.gov/zion/index.htm

UPDATE:
    Video about Zion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DI_F51ZtzI
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
  • Love this thread!

Is there anyway of working out roughly how much you need / should take to vegas?

It’s my partners birthday and already flying her first class with a resort room at the wynn for 8 nights (possibly 9 cannot remember exactly).

Do hotel offer good deals for upgrades at the desk generally speaking?

We go late November and have no specific plans. We will have a rental car as I got an amazing deal on Range Rover too hard to pass up.

Ta
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport