50 something man seeking to save to retire before 60!

Options

Comments

• crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi

Bugslett- Mrs CRV would love to blame me for all the clutter, but I'm not the one collecting boxes of materials and fish tanks, although I seem to have tools in every room!

Mr C- It is quite a task, my sibling kept literally everything she was ever given, bought or won. It makes it a challenge because of the distance 4 hour drive there, work then 4 hours back, so now we're onto the last room, with lots of treasured possessions I decided packing it up, bringing it back and then sorting it was the best use of time.

Sorry that you don't like the place you are in much, but it may be more bearable knowing it is only for six months so you have an end date?

Happyandcontented= that is the problem for almost everyone, there are treasured photos that meant a lot to the owner and some were treasured but they lose meaning when they are gone.

My course was useful this morning and now I've to start on my shed. At last!
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
  • crv1963
    Options
    Good/ bad news on the future proofing, the heating and hot water have packed in, apparently a blockage somewhere in the system, so we need a power flush at £699! The Gas Man asked what was wrong with the Labrador and we hadn't noticed his swollen ear. Turns out he's got an infection, another £100 gone and more to go!

Had to cancel my overtime to allow access today for the power flush, so looks like I'm 10 days off now so gardening while they spend the day flushing all the pipework. Taking stuff from the shed to the tip and laying a paving stone base for my new lean to shed for the gardening tools.
  • Mr_Costcutter
    Options
    Sorry to hear that crv. At least the problem with your
    system has happened during summer and not in the midst of winter. Those power flushes are really costly though - hope it resolves the problem. Also hope the lab recovers quickly.
  • bugslett
    bugslett Posts: 416 Forumite
    Options
    At least doggy's ear is not serious. And you get the good weather in which to do the garden!

Never heard of a power flush before!
    Yes I'm bugslet, I lost my original log in details and old e-mail address.
  • crv1963
    Options
    bugslett wrote: »
    At least doggy's ear is not serious. And you get the good weather in which to do the garden!

Never heard of a power flush before!

Power Flush apparently is where they shut all the radiators off, pump water through all the pipework relating to the boiler then through each radiator one at a time, takes about 8 hours and should leave the system like new. That's the theory, I'm just waiting to be told that we need this and that also replacing!

Dogs ear is just another glich!
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,556 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    bugslett wrote: »
    I can confirm seeing is not a cheap hobby, !

I love it!:j
    In your case it's "I came, I saw, I squandered" (to plunder a well known phrase!!)
    Enjoy that 'narrow' boat- guess they come cheaper than wider editions. At least you won't need jabs and visas.
    :think: .......Seriously: have lots and lots of fun!!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • bugslett
    bugslett Posts: 416 Forumite
    Options
    Katiehound wrote: »
    I love it!:j
    In your case it's "I came, I saw, I squandered" (to plunder a well known phrase!!)
    Enjoy that 'narrow' boat- guess they come cheaper than wider editions. At least you won't need jabs and visas.
    :think: .......Seriously: have lots and lots of fun!!

New phone and it does very strange things with the auto correct.:o

I could get the boat lifted across to france and set off on a european leg!

I still think a power flush sounds as more like a steroid packed smoothie that a weight lifter would have for breakfast:p
    Yes I'm bugslet, I lost my original log in details and old e-mail address.
  • crv1963
    Options
    Quick update- back to work tonight after 9 days off with annual leave and days off.

Have made progress with the shed- 4 days removing rotten parts and stripping roofing, followed by the rebuilding of it, helped on the 3 hottest days so far this summer by my Mum and then Mrs CRV joining us. Got a few more days work to go though, still to cover the roof timbers with tiles, fit the floor, tongue and groove the inside, electrician is coming next week to re-wire it and then it all needs painting.

Every day is a school day at 80 I taught Mum how to use a nail gun and Mrs CRV how to use a jig saw. I learnt that it is less frightening using power tools ones self than watch a loved one doing so!

Quotes coming in for house repairs- and a couple due for a loft conversion in readiness for retirement- I get a refurbished shed and Mrs CRV gets a cosy sewing room.

Although only 9 days off I am with Marine_life on his recent retirement news, the more time I'm away from work the less attractive it becomes. I really am after enjoying doing the things I want becoming more wed to the idea that if I can go by the end of the year then maybe I should. I'd love to learn to motorcycle but I'm torn by the thought that one it'll add an expense I don't have and the money could be better spent elsewhere and bring retirement a few or even 6 months nearer.
  • Mr_Costcutter
    Options
    The thought of ''stepping into retirement'' is a scary one for many - for so many different reasons. But life is short and I'm firmly of the belief that if financially it is possible to retire - then go for it :). I doubt that I'm alone in saying that when one door closes, another is bound to open. Ill health forced retirement upon me and it was a blessing in disguise. It made me stop in my tracts to evaluate and appreciate all that was good in my life.
  • crv1963
    Options
    The thought of ''stepping into retirement'' is a scary one for many - for so many different reasons. But life is short and I'm firmly of the belief that if financially it is possible to retire - then go for it :). I doubt that I'm alone in saying that when one door closes, another is bound to open. Ill health forced retirement upon me and it was a blessing in disguise. It made me stop in my tracts to evaluate and appreciate all that was good in my life.

Food for thought, especially as it was my own ill health that prompted the research and planning process for us. Sibling unexpected death at 60, 12 weeks ago brings home the reality of mortality.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback