Ways to earn a few quid when retired

13»

Comments

• 50Twuncle wrote: »
    This link appears dodgy - it directs me to an infected site - you have been warned !

I know a couple of people who have done extra work with casting collective, which is quite legitimate - looks as if there is a missing letter in the stated site!
    2021 - mission declutter and clean - 0/2021
  • We have done house/ petsitting and although we don't do much now, it was a way to earn a bit and save money on your own utilities (because you are living in someone else's home).

My son rents out his garage occasionally. Last time he charged £50 for six weeks. This was with the car just being in the garage the whole time, it did not involve anyone coming and taking it in and out.

My husband makes a little bit by doing pet portraits in pastels, he works from photographs of the animals.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,299 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    This link appears dodgy - it directs me to an infected site - you have been warned !

Missing letter now corrected
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hi, in the summer I work for a language school and take foreign students on trips. Its only minimum wage but it means I can go to London, Oxford, Stonehenge etc for free and show them our heritage. I earned about a 1000 last summer doing this and lost weight and made loads of new friends with the adult students and teachers.

Try emailing your local language summer schools if you live in a touristy area. :j
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • Local councils need temporary staff for elections - of course we have local elections in England coming up in May. You have to do a 2 hour training course (you're paid for that) and then a full day at the polling station. Some are busier than others. It's a long day (you have to get there at 6.30 a.m. to put the booths up, and then doors open at 7.00 a.m.) and it closes at 10pm. I was paid nearly £200, including payment for the training session. You're sitting down all day, and you can eat and take something to read, and you can chat to other staff.

If you contact your local council - the Electoral Services office, then they can tell you if they need any more staff for this year. Even if they don't, get your name down on the register and they will automatically contact you in years ahead.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,217 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Ref the temp election staff. My friend does this, but be aware you do not have a choice of which Polling Station you will be required at but you can of course turn it down

Same for eat etc, depends upon who is in charge, some polling stations are in say village hall so have kitchen facilities, others may not have

Still worth doing though
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • surfsister
    surfsister Posts: 7,527 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    some good tips here! thank all
  • KONG
    KONG Posts: 856 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Very good tips!
    "Sealed Pot Challenge" Member No. 938
    "Virtual Sealed Pot Challenge 2011" Member No. 7
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,472 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Friends of mine did house sitting to look after pets full time for about 4 years. They actually sold their own house as they spent so little time there. They didn't charge to sit but all utilities were paid by the house owners and, although not mandatory, most left them full fridges and freezers. They did a few abroad where even a car was provided for them. They got a lot of repeat business, and word of mouth stuff, because they were so highly regarded.
    Another friend does a lot of stuff on fleabay, also lots of car boot sales. To the best of my knowledge they have not registered as a trader nor are they declaring the not insubstantial profits they are making on either. Not a course of action I recommend. Occasional car boot sales can be a way to make decent lumps of money if you have the right stuff to sell.
  • Old_Grey_Mare
    Old_Grey_Mare Posts: 103 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Corona wrote: »
    Local councils need temporary staff for elections - of course we have local elections in England coming up in May. You have to do a 2 hour training course (you're paid for that) and then a full day at the polling station. Some are busier than others. It's a long day (you have to get there at 6.30 a.m. to put the booths up, and then doors open at 7.00 a.m.) and it closes at 10pm. I was paid nearly £200, including payment for the training session. You're sitting down all day, and you can eat and take something to read, and you can chat to other staff.

If you contact your local council - the Electoral Services office, then they can tell you if they need any more staff for this year. Even if they don't, get your name down on the register and they will automatically contact you in years ahead.

They need other staff for elections as well.

I was a verification assistant for the local elections. I arrived at 9pm and finished just after midnight. I received £56.

I’m a count assistant on Sunday for EU elections. £75 flat fee.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure