Renovations and Repayments II: New Year, New Start, New Diary.

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,176 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Fab results for January :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • kelpie35
    kelpie35 Posts: 1,781 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Well done Alex on what you have achieved this month.

Please try to ignore the comments from your parents, you will find a way to do this I'm sure.

Looking forward to seeing your goals for February.

Take care.
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    AlexLK wrote: »
    JMother responds before I do turning the conversation to how I will likely waste the money and how "it's probably gone before it even touches the account". Mrs. K. tells my mother we are saving the money and mother responds with "so, he's paying his own debts for sports cars and goodness knows what else now, is he?" Followed by "perhaps the two of you should grow up and give my grandson a decent education" after my wife said we aren't in debt but would like to improve the kitchen, hence saving. :mad: :mad: :mad:
    I'm afraid if my mother had spoken to me like that I wouldn't have needed deflecting tactics Alex as I'd have been out the door :mad:. Is that typical of what she says? Neither wonder you've been so screwed up for so long. I'm sure you're familiar with Larkins poem, but honestly Alex that is. not on. Mrs LK must have tremendous willpower not to get up and walk out and it is really unhealthy for Little LK to hear this. :mad:.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,458 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 January 2018 at 11:00AM
    I would also have managed that particular encounter somewhat differently, but my reaction would have featured expletives!

We know one family where there's an element of domineering parents/'generous' with strings and snippy comments, but they have had enough and are buying parents out of family house/cutting ties re. shared investments etc. It is causing them a lot of stress, but they want to be in a position where their finances are completely separate and they can tell parents to butt out.

There is no point offering help and/or generosity over the years if it will be held as a rod to beat you with.

Alex - if your Dad is effectively living in the past - is it because he doesn't have anything to focus on in the present? I know spending time with his son and grandchild should be enough to keep him occupied, but he needs something for himself. It sounds a bit like he domineered his way through several decades of money making, retired and sits around pining for the days when he was a 'big deal'...
  • Alex I think you might benefit from developing some standard responses to your parents especially your Mum.
    e.g.
    -You should be giving your son a decent education
    - He is happy and learning well

-We sacrificed for your education
    - We have chosen the approach that suits him best. He is happy and learning well.

Don't engage in a discussion
    -You will waste your salary
    - We will use it to meet our financial goals

- You are going to throw it away on a sports car
    - We have financial goals we are working towards successfully.

You can't win the argument with your Mother because she doesn't want to or can't shift her view of you. However, it takes two to argue so if you disengage she doesn't get the feedback / reward and the springboard for her next comment. It just turns into a pointless monologue.
    MortgageStart Nov 2012 £310,000
    Oct 2022 £143,277.74
    Reduction £166,722.26
    OriginalEnd Sept 2034 / Current official end Apr 2032 (but I have a cunning plan...)
    2022 MFW #78 £10200/£12000
    MFiT-6 #28 £21,772 /£75000
  • daisy_1571
    daisy_1571 Posts: 1,187 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    LadyGnome wrote: »
    Alex I think you might benefit from developing some standard responses to your parents especially your Mum.
    e.g.
    -You should be giving your son a decent education
    - He is happy and learning well

-We sacrificed for your education
    - We have chosen the approach that suits him best. He is happy and learning well.

Don't engage in a discussion
    -You will waste your salary
    - We will use it to meet our financial goals

- You are going to throw it away on a sports car
    - We have financial goals we are working towards successfully.

You can't win the argument with your Mother because she doesn't want to or can't shift her view of you. However, it takes two to argue so if you disengage she doesn't get the feedback / reward and the springboard for her next comment. It just turns into a pointless monologue.

Great ideas here LadyGnome, I've said it before there is no winning with mother as she will always find a way to turn it against Alex. Let her do that all she wants but just don't let it get to you.

I personally would have stopped sharing stuff with her long ago, just being polite, talk about the weather, TV progs, music or other 'safe' subject but certainly not giving her ammunition - keep your plans etc to yourself and keep giving LGs inspired standard responses to any of her views. It's a shame, you may feel you are not sharing your life with her but frankly she has given up any right to be part of your hopes, plans and thoughts with her continued nastiness over many years. Don't let her keep bringing you down. Your father made his choice and he HAS to deal with her, you don't, you can limit the time she has to snipe by limiting contact. Whenever you do that your natural enthusiasm comes through in your posts, when you have been with her too much your posts get more bleak. See you father on his own, you seem more able to deal with his way of looking back.

Take care

Daisy

Ps is it only me who sometimes gets a vision of this household like Ronnie Corbett 's mum and dad in 'sorry' - sorry Alex :ono idea how far off the mark I am there but it sometimes comes into my head unbidden. I think Corbett 's mum would have been eaten alive by yours though :rotfl:
    2022: 3🏅 4⭐ 2023: 5🎖🏅🏅 🎖🏅6 ⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion. Take hold of every moment - anon I'm a clutterbug butterfly 🦋 The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If you aren't already using something in your home, you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I agree with daisy- stop feeding them personal information and make bland conversation, you know it will be used as ammunition.
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,458 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It's a shame that we have to suggest 'managing' Alex's parents - I'd dearly like to be able to have a serious conversation with my Dad - even if it was just for him to make snippy comments and act like a !!!!! :D Unfortunately I've got a Dad who refuses to engage in any conversation about life beyond his job or most recent holiday - maybe I'm being managed? :rotfl:
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,176 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    & unfortunatly my dad is no longer here.
    Many conversations I wish I had had about financial matters.
    Families!!
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    beanielou wrote: »
    Fab results for January :)

Thanks, Beanie. :)
    kelpie35 wrote: »
    Well done Alex on what you have achieved this month.

Please try to ignore the comments from your parents, you will find a way to do this I'm sure.

Looking forward to seeing your goals for February.

Take care.

Thanks, Kelpie. :)

Need to think about my February goals. Just how a month has already gone, I don't know. :eek: :D
    gallygirl wrote: »
    I'm afraid if my mother had spoken to me like that I wouldn't have needed deflecting tactics Alex as I'd have been out the door :mad:. Is that typical of what she says? Neither wonder you've been so screwed up for so long. I'm sure you're familiar with Larkins poem, but honestly Alex that is. not on. Mrs LK must have tremendous willpower not to get up and walk out and it is really unhealthy for Little LK to hear this. :mad:.

:rotfl: I think I know the poem you're talking about.

It can be typical. She's not always like that but often is.

My wife has heard it all before. My son doesn't like my parents much; he's quite scared of them. Father is devastated his actions in the past have led to my son much preferring his other grandparents. I think mother is too but she won't admit their actions has led to his mistrust.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills