Getting your bike 'stamped' / 'marked'

Whatever you wish to call it. As a form of identification in a way. I don't know what people typically do, post code, mobile number maybe, name.

How do you go about getting this done?

Comments

• esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    There was a pop-up police information point in a local town a few years back where they were offering to register your bike in case it gets stolen.

All they did was take the frame number (which is etched under the bottom bracket) and stick on a tiny sticker.

You can register your bike (and any other valuables, such as laptops, etc.) yourself on the Immobilise UK National Property Register:

https://www.immobilise.com/
  • Oh right so they don't actually stamp it as such then - i mean irremovable stamping (or something that would need to be ground off for example)?
  • esuhl
    Oh right so they don't actually stamp it as such then - i mean irremovable stamping (or something that would need to be ground off for example)?

No. There should already be a unique frame number on the bike (like a car's chassis number). The police just register it on the Immobilise database for you.

The sticker is about 4cm x 1cm. It's supposed to make it easier for the police to identify stolen property (and it has a barcode they can scan), and to warn potential thieves. But the sticker is so small and easily removed, that I'm not sure it serves much purpose.

I think you might be able to get a pack of these stickers yourself from the website to stick on your valuables.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,781 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You can get a kit that will mark the bike with some permanent ink with a unique reference number that you log with the firm, you can apply it yourself, it's not too hard to do if you follow it properly

https://www.bikeregister.com/
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    There's a few issues with all this.. I found a mountain bike dumped by my back garden gate last year, and after a little while retrieved it and shoved it in my shed. Surprise, surprise, the frame number had been filed off.. I phoned the police who made a note and then I phoned bike register as there was a sticker and a code on the bike visible under UV light, but no sign of it on their register and no reports of any theft. Apparently it was a British Transport Police code, but was told the details from their marking days did not always reliably get to the register. Had another call from BTP to confirm the details and then I heard no more..

If you do register your bike I suggest you do it yourself.
  • Emily_Joy
    Emily_Joy Posts: 1,230 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 21 April 2018 at 4:20PM
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    You can get a kit that will mark the bike with some permanent ink with a unique reference number that you log with the firm, you can apply it yourself, it's not too hard to do if you follow it properly

https://www.bikeregister.com/

In my experience, if your beloved and registered bike subsequently gets stolen and resold, you would be better off to chase the Bike Register yourself. I've posted my story here.
  • So in short ... get a better shed seems to be the answer :) lol
  • Emily_Joy
    Emily_Joy Posts: 1,230 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    So in short ... get a better shed seems to be the answer :) lol

After spending some time over Xmas trying to figure out whether the bike I bought is actually stolen or not (perhaps I've watched the Blue Carbuncle way too many times :)) I would recommend to register it in all three online registers with photographs and keep it indoors, whenever possible.
  • esuhl
    There's a few issues with all this.. I found a mountain bike dumped by my back garden gate last year, and after a little while retrieved it and shoved it in my shed. Surprise, surprise, the frame number had been filed off.. I phoned the police who made a note and then I phoned bike register as there was a sticker and a code on the bike visible under UV light, but no sign of it on their register and no reports of any theft. Apparently it was a British Transport Police code, but was told the details from their marking days did not always reliably get to the register. Had another call from BTP to confirm the details and then I heard no more..

If you do register your bike I suggest you do it yourself.

When the police did it for me, they took my details and said I'd get an email. It took about six weeks, but the email did come through confirming that it had been registered on the Immobilise database.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,781 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    So in short ... get a better shed seems to be the answer :) lol

Asgard sheds, top quality solid (I sit on it to cut the hedge) and tough as nails. Mine is bolted into concrete and under our bedroom roof, no-one is stealing my 3 without a fight
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure