PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    In the 40s we had bombs dropping on us. In the 50s we had the dawn of nuclear power scaring us. In the 60s wehad the threat of WW3 with the Cuba crisis. In the 70s we had arab terrorists. We've always got something but we just get up in the morning and get on with life. Life goes on, always.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,903
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I seem to recall the IRA chucking their weight around a bit, & then the A-rabs & now the Russkies again? As you say, life goes on.

Right now, resitting my First Aid At Work & while they do let you negotiate aspirin for those having a heart attack, they don't teach tourniquets. Frankly, phew. Besides which, if you need to know, ambulance control will tell you how. An idea which chills me thoroughly, working in Manchester & surrounded by handy computer cables, but seemingly the construction guys are more appalled at the idea that a 6 year old might be more confident using a defib/AED than they are...

Great fun watching the newbies go from frankly terrified to altogether more "er, it works like that?". Apparently two have children who 'already know first aid', and tomorrow's morning debrief will probably include coaching mothers in "well, I asked the lady from the Red Cross and she says..." They will have rolled each child into the recovery position "for practice". Possibly several times, once they find how much fun it is.

The ex-RAF electrician is a doting papa - he wants to learn the Whole Flowchart with all the variables for babies, children & adults which (given our course is targeted at grown ups) means he'll have to read up a bit. (I then want him on speed-dial for reference.)

Odd things dug included a rubbish tip of empty shippams paste jars. (My Brownie collection of glassware consisted of 9 different sorts of shippams jar, and an old lemonade bottle. Dashed exotic to me, back then!) These days I rather prefer dowsing to digging but I absolutely get that a new plot does not give you that choice!
  • We don't have the resources, personnel or finance to start wars these days, we don't even have the finances to fix the pot holes in the roads! all we can do is make a song and dance about it and have our political say and rant, we have nothing effective as a deterrent against the vast entity that is Russia and the thought that our sanctions, which are the only real weapon on the table, will have them quaking in their shoes is laughable. Sadly we are not the nation or power that we once were are we?

A very great sadness is the news of the death of Professor Stephen Hawking this morning, human kind has lost one of it's brightest and best, the sun is a little less bright today because the shining light that was his excellent mind has gone out.

Mrs LW, no-one has the resources to fight a war nowadays. The UK economy is twice the size of the Russian economy and the combined western European economies (ie NATO countries) are fourteen times the size of the Russian economy. So no, we are not the imperial power that we were (and good thing say I) but we are not the smallest minnow in the pond by a long shot.

Very sad news about Prof Hawking, used to see him in the street sometimes when we lived down that way.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    PP I don't know about that. We haven't got much of an army left, we havent got planes or ships - we're a banana republic now :(
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    mardatha wrote: »
    PP I don't know about that. We haven't got much of an army left, we havent got planes or ships - we're a banana republic now :(
    We are no longer the big kid on the block. We''ll be back to Dad's Army with imitation rifles the way things are going.... ;) Which is why allies are important. But these days a lot of damage can be done economically without even resorting to physical violence (though chemical weapons may be an issue). I'm just gobsmacked that we are expelling 23 diplomats. 23? What on earth are/were they all doing?
    But we don't need external aggressors here. Pineapple manages to do things to herself by herself. Was using a telescopic lopper yesterday when the mechanism got caught up in a tree branch. While yanking it back through the branches it caught on another branch which then sprung back smacking her directly in the eye. Finally the worst of the pain has subsided and I can see out of it. Should have been wearing my safety goggles. Plus I could have done with a sterile eye wash or something. I'm a preparedness failure! :(
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460
    Forumite
    Oh Pineapple! That's not good :( I do have safety goggles fairly available, because I was drilling metal to make a teeny tiny rocket stove, but I don't wear them, ever, to cut branches :( I have an eye bath, but I've no idea where it is :o

**pulls Pineapple off the failure bench**
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • pineapple
    Forumite
    Karmacat wrote: »
    :( I have an eye bath, but I've no idea where it is :o
    I used the little measuring cup that I have for dog meds. It probably had traces of lactulose in it :eek:
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    RAF transport planes have been flying over today, very low, relatively slow, same for the last two days
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Oh Pineapple! That's not good :( I do have safety goggles fairly available, because I was drilling metal to make a teeny tiny rocket stove, but I don't wear them, ever, to cut branches :( I have an eye bath, but I've no idea where it is :o

**pulls Pineapple off the failure bench**
    :) I recall from a first aid course in about 1990 that you're not supposed to use eyebaths, as there is a risk that they just slosh whatever it is you're trying to remove around where it scratches your eyeball. Although first aid practise seems to be changed so frequently that it's possible that eyebaths are back in play.

We were taught to use a bottle of sterile solution to irrigate the eye, difficult to do on oneself as you're supposed to allow the liquid to run out of the outer corner of the eye. Being careful to capture it in a disposable cloth, if its something which is an irritant, so that you don't wash it over the patient's skin.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • pineapple
    Forumite
    Yes I sloshed some solution in it first though as you say it is difficult. It was a lot better this morning so I went to the chemist to see what they had to ease the remaining irritation. I was told you ought to get any eye injury seen by a GP. Though the NHS site says - 'if not better within 24 hours.' Anyhow I called in at the surgery on the way back and was offered a telephone consultation. So by the magic of the telephone my eye has now been examined. :huh: I was told what to watch out for and to come in if it wasn't healing :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure