IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Unfair parking charge. Didn't even do it. :(

Gazbaz77
Gazbaz77 Posts: 52 Forumite
edited 13 March 2018 at 4:05PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
The keeper received one of these parking charges through the post for apparently overstaying in their local tesco car park for over 4 hours. Thing is, the driver never did. The driver must have been there around 2.30pm and returned at 7pm. So they've clearly missed the drivers car exiting and returning in between. The keeper can't get through to the !!!!! over the phone. The keeper has been down and spoken to the manager of the car park and he says he can't do anything. So the keeper will probably have to go through the appeal process. The keeper knows the advice used to be ignore these notices but belives things have changed recently? Anyone know?

Comments

• Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 March 2018 at 2:30PM
    The advice to ignore has not been given here since the law changed in 2012.

Never, never, never, ever 'phone a parking scammer.

Pease also edit your post to remove information about who did what. Only ever refer to The Driver and The Keeper, who are two different people. ;)

Once you have done that, please read the Sticky thread for NEWBIES then send the template appeal you will find there.

Please also tell us the name of the PPC.

Please also complain to your MP.

These are some of the comments made by the MPs in Parliament concerning the unregulated parking industry (Feb 2018):

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2018-02-02/debates/CC84AF5E-AC6E-4E14-81B1-066E6A892807/Parking(CodeOfPractice)Bill

''Rip-offs from car park Cowboys must stop''; unfair treatment; signage deliberately confusing to ensure a PCN is issued; ''years of abuse by rogue parking companies''; bloodsuckers; ''the current system of regulation is hopeless, like putting Dracula in charge of the blood-bank''; extortionate fines; rogue operators; ''sense of injustice''; unfair charges and notices; wilfully misleading; signage is a deliberate act to deceive or mislead; ''confusing signs are often deliberate, to trap innocent drivers''; unreasonable; a curse; harassing; operating in a disgusting way; appeals service is no guarantee of a fair hearing; loathed; outrageous scam; dodgy practice; outrageous abuse; unscrupulous practices; ''the British Parking Association is as much use as a multi-storey car park in the Gobi desert''; and finally, by way of unanimous conclusion: ''we need to crack down on these rogue companies. They are an absolute disgrace to this country. Ordinary motorists and ordinary residents should not have to put up with this''.

These are the exact words used, so you should quote them to your MP in a complaint and ask him/her to contact Sir Greg Knight MP if he wants further information about this scam.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Well, if youd read a little bit before posting, you would have found the NEWBIES thread.

Read it. POst 1. then edit your post to avoid the identity of the driver beign blatantly obvious.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,555 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Gazbaz77 wrote: »
    Received one of these parking charges through the post for apparently overstaying in my local tesco car park for over 4 hours. Thing is, I never did. I must have been there around 2.30pm and returned at 7pm. So they've clearly missed my car exiting and returning in between. Can't get through to the !!!!! over the phone. I've been down and spoken to the manager of the car park and he says he can't do anything. So will probably have to go through the appeal process. I know the advice used to be ignore these notices but belive things have changed recently? Anyone know?

Have you missed the NEWBIES thread, if so, go and read it and use the template. PLEASE DO NOT HIT 'REPLY' AND ASK FOR A LINK...

PLEASE if this is Highview, just search the forum for 'Highview' and read all the very very easily won appeals done recently.

No questions about which box to tick on the Highview appeals page - never again do we want to have to answer that! Obviously NOT the driver one.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Gazbaz77
    I've edited it and will look a the newbie thread. On phone so can't really see the forum page as good as I will be able to on my laptop when home. Will reply to anything then. Thanks.
  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,050 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    was this car park a tesco car park, or one attached to a retail park?
    what parking company is it?
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,614 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 March 2018 at 4:12PM
    Gazbaz77 wrote: »
    I've edited it...
    The whole point of editing your post was to ensure that the driver was not identified.

You have failed to do that.

It was the driver that parked the car, but it was the keeper that received the PCN through the post.

It is the keeper that is about to appeal.
    When the keeper appeals he will take great care to avoid giving clues to the driver's identity.

As Fruitcake said:
    Fruitcake wrote: »
    Only ever refer to The Driver and The Keeper, who are two different people. ;)
  • Gazbaz77
    Right I have edited my post again and hopefully got it right this time. :)

The car park is a retail car park not a Tesco one.

and the PPC is Premier Park.

Now at home on my laptop, so off to read the newbies thread and follow the advice on there.

Thanks all.
  • Gazbaz77
    edited 13 March 2018 at 4:27PM
    Ok I know what needs to be done now. Just a quick question regarding this section..

'You can (carefully!) add a little to the template above, 'in order to resolve the dispute I attach copies of...':'

Should I add a bit explaining that the driver didn't even overstay and they might want to check their cctv. I could also attach a screen shot of the drivers tesco clubcard statement showing. two separate transactions on that day, obviously nothing with the drivers name on. or should i just send the template alone?
  • nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    They dont have CCTV. Just ANPR. Only records numberplates.

Send proof of two visits, and state that the vehicle went to the site twice that day.
  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,050 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    next question, do you have a smartphone?
    Do you know who owns the retail park?
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure