Claiming ppi when on debit management help

Can anyone help me on how I go about claiming PPI back when I am on a debt managment plan as I have been told I can't go through these companies that assist you to do it.:eek:

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    as I have been told I can't go through these companies that assist you to do it.

The reason for this is that you may not see the refund if your complaint is successful. If you are in arrears, have defaulted or had amounts written off part of your debt (even as part of an agreed settlement) then the lender can use the redress against those. However, the CMC will bill you against the redress amount in full.

So, you need to make your complaint the conventional way. Which is actually better than using a CMC and much easier than you think.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Souly wrote: »
    Can anyone help me on how I go about claiming PPI back when I am on a debt managment plan
    Anyone can make a PPI complaint without recourse to Claims Management Companies.

Just write letters of complaint to all the lenders you had PPI with, detailing why you think your PPI was mis-sold.

Remember, though, the fact that you are on a DMP means it's likely that any money you might be awarded will be offset against arrears or defaults you have.
    Be prepared, therefore, to receive nothing personally even if your complaint is successful.

Before actually making your complaint, you would be wise to contact the charity or company who arranged your Debt Management Plan. They will advise, based on your personal circumstance, whether it is even advisable for you to make a PPI complaint.

You'll get more in depth advice on the bankruptcy board of this forum. Here is the link:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=136
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport