IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Trouble entering VRN for ANPR malmonitored parking

Options
I visited a hospital today that uses ANPR and pay on exit.

I entered the VRN only to discover it was wrong, so I entered it again but taking absolute care that I put the reg in correctly.
Three more times it appeared wrong.

I eventually discovered that the cuff of my jacket was triggering the characters on the touch screen as I reached across to type.
Imagine how many people just look at the keyboard when they type, and would then press the pay button.

So now we have another reason why ANPR should never be used in car parks, and a possible reason why so many mistakes are made.
I married my cousin. I had to...
I don't have a sister. :D
All my screwdrivers are cordless.
"You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    You should film yourself doing this, and send the video to the Parking Prankster! :D
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • twhitehousescat
    Options
    If it was an ANPR type car park , why did it accept a VRN of a non existent car?
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 March 2018 at 10:15AM
    Options
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    You should film yourself doing this, and send the video to the Parking Prankster! :D

I plan to on my next visit.
    If it was an ANPR type car park , why did it accept a VRN of a non existent car?

Precisely.

The system unbelievably said, "you have 1 minute to exit the car park" once payment was made. It took us longer than that to walk to the car. The barrier wouldn't lift when we got there, and we had to press the call for assistance button. My Lovely Cousin was all ready for a rant but the barrier was raised without query.
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    MPs are on your side WRT scam parking tickets at hospitals, however, this is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences.

Parking Eye, Smart and a smaller company have already been named and shamed, as has Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each year). They nearly always lose) and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P.

The problem has become so rampant that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Watch the video of the Second Reading in the HofC recently.

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

and complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind most of these companies may well be put out of business by Christmas..
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Watch the video of the Second Reading in the HofC recently.

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

and complain in the most robust terms to your MP.
    @TD - this is Fruitcake (forum stalwart with 41,000 posts to his name) who has started this thread, not some wet behind the ears newbie! He knows all this stuff.

Twitchy hair-trigger finger on your copy and paste template on this one. :D
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    Oops, talk about teaching one's grandmother to suck eggs, sorry FC.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The_Deep wrote: »
    Oops, talk about teaching one's grandmother to suck eggs, sorry FC.

No worries chap. I would rather be told twice about something important than not at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business