Enforcing breach of planning regs

Just curious here.

My neighbour had an extension built many years ago that goes right up to my boundary. I believe he was told there were not to be any windows in the wall bordering my property, and that this is a common condition. It was built to comply.

Some years later, he did put in a small window in this wall. To the best of my knowledge it was done about 15-20 years ago. I DID NOT OWN OR LIVE IN MY HOUSE AT THE TIME THIS WAS DONE.

The window is fairly small and has obscure glass.

He has now told a neighbour (NOT ME!!!) that he want to replace this window. Neighbour told him he needs to speak to me. So far, he hasn't.
(I have had words with him in the past about access to my property which is probably why he hasn't spoken to me yet.)

I'm OK with him replacing the window on a like-for-like basis, but I do not want it enlarged or changed to clear glass. Can I insist on this?

As a last resort, can the original planning permission be enforced to make him brick up the window altogether?

Comments

• pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,239 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Grow a plant in front of the window or build a fence in front of the window if he won't play ball.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You're on a hiding to nothing regarding having it bricked up.

Regarding replacement of the window, you should really just have a word and see what he plans. If it's the same size and obscured, no worries; I believe enlarging the window would require building control.

You always have the option of putting something up on your property which would render the window pointless, but there's no point having a conflict if it can be avoided.
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,417 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    HouseMouse wrote: »
    As a last resort, can the original planning permission be enforced to make him brick up the window altogether?

The original planning permission can't be enforced more than 4 years after completion.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,803 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Side facing opaque windows fall under permitted development
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    As above. After 4 years, it is unenforceable. Looks like you are stuck with it!!
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,803 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    phill99 wrote: »
    As above. After 4 years, it is unenforceable. Looks like you are stuck with it!!

Unless the house has PD rights removed, the window was legal in the first place.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • 27cool
    27cool Posts: 267 Forumite
    Nice to see a lot of very sensible replies to this thread.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure