Digital version of Xbox games

book12
book12 Posts: 2,557 Forumite
I would like to purchase a digital game for the xbox from the Microsoft/Xbox store website, instead of purchasing thr physical copy of the game.

Queries below:
  • Do they accept PayPal as a payment method?
  • Once the game is downloaded, can it be played straight away? Or is the download a setup file where I click on it and then it will install the game?
  • If my xbox is broken and can't be repaired, does that mean I need to purchase the digital game again? Or can it be downloaded again for free from my account?
  • After the purchase do I click on a link in the email to download the game? Or will it automatically download onto the Xbox?

Comments

• unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    book12 wrote: »
    I would like to purchase a digital game for the xbox from the Microsoft/Xbox store website, instead of purchasing thr physical copy of the game.

Queries below:
    • Do they accept PayPal as a payment method?
    • Once the game is downloaded, can it be played straight away? Or is the download a setup file where I click on it and then it will install the game?
    • If my xbox is broken and can't be repaired, does that mean I need to purchase the digital game again? Or can it be downloaded again for free from my account?
    • After the purchase do I click on a link in the email to download the game? Or will it automatically download onto the Xbox?

I haven't used a 360 in years so my answers are with xbone in mind and may not apply to 360 (couldnt see if you mention one or the other).

1. Yes they accept paypal. With MSE in mind, you can also buy MS £50 cards online for ~£45 sometimes (also has benefit of enabling you not to link any reoccuring payment method - great if you have kids who play and you don't want to roll the dice with your card/bank account) but always do research on where you're buying from.
    2. It downloads & installs all on its own in the one go - you can usually (always possibly) start to play before it has finished installing. It might take a while though.
    3. With xbox, (not quite what you asked but I'll get there, just leading up to it) you can set your console to your home console - and share your gold subscription with anyone who logs in to your console (again, great if you have kids/other gamers in the house). Anyone who signs in to that console will also be able to play any games you have purchased. You can change your home console but I believe you can only have 1 at a time. You can also (I believe - been a while since I've done it) sign into another console that is not your home console and download and play your games - but other users of that console will not be able to access them.
    4. Once purchased instead of having the option to buy, when you visit that title it will give you the option to download it. The same is true for any games purchased elsewhere (its sometimes a lot cheaper!) & redeemed via digital code.
    Alternatively, once purchased if you go into apps & games, your title will appear under the "ready to install" tab.
    However I believe newly purchased content will automatically try to install if there is enough room on your hard drive. Not 100% sure on that so don't want to say with certainty (there may be a setting for it?)
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    The above post is pretty much spot on, there's not much changed from the 360 to the One in regards to digital purchases. Microsoft tie purchases to your account not to your hardware so if your console is broken or you upgrade it you can download your digital content again.

With regards to point 4, this is correct as well - there's a setting which you can choose to automatically download to your home console. If you don't have this set you can simply go into the games and apps section on the Xbox One and choose to download it there.

The only point I'd be aware of is that Xbox One games are generally huge so you need a decent internet connection (fibre or high speed cable) to be able to download them in a reasonable amount of time.

John
  • book12
    book12 Posts: 2,557 Forumite
    I guess I would go down the gift card route to purchase the digital games. Don't have to divulge personal and card Paypal details. Found some on Amazon where they give you the code by email once purchased. Example - Xbox Live £10 Credit [Xbox Live Online Code] https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B018FBCUZI/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489433286&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=xbox+credit&dpPl=1&dpID=61njY5sP8RL&ref=plSrch

I did read the reviews of the online code on Amazon which is mostly positive, but some reviews mentions that the online code given doesn't work. Have you guys have this experience before? Why does it happen?

When downloading the game from the store have you got into a situation when the game won't work when the download completes?
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    book12 wrote: »
    I guess I would go down the gift card route to purchase the digital games. Don't have to divulge personal and card Paypal details. Found some on Amazon where they give you the code by email once purchased. Example - Xbox Live £10 Credit [Xbox Live Online Code] https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B018FBCUZI/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489433286&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=xbox+credit&dpPl=1&dpID=61njY5sP8RL&ref=plSrch

I did read the reviews of the online code on Amazon which is mostly positive, but some reviews mentions that the online code given doesn't work. Have you guys have this experience before? Why does it happen?

When downloading the game from the store have you got into a situation when the game won't work when the download completes?

The only time I've had a code not work was for a 12 month gold subscription. Apparently you can only have 3 codes accumulated on your account (what they later told me after being told incorrect information a few times) and it didn't matter that the 2 previous subscriptions had expired because I had entered the next code before the previous one expired (duh, so my gold wouldnt run out!).

Never had any problems downloading & playing - sometimes games crash to dash during gameplay but I've only had it happen rarely.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    If you are only after the digital version of a game its always worth checking on CDKEYS etc.
    http://www.cdkeys.com/
    Sometimes they have some great offers on.

For everything else , post #2 is bang on the nose :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure