Comments

• ferry
    ferry Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Fightsback wrote: »
    According to the service tag, your PC originally shipped with one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-ATI-Radeon-HD3450-PCI-Express/dp/B004MTFXMU

Can you confirm if this is the current card in your machine ?

There is no card installed, running from on-board.
    Interesting what you say about the kernel as I am quite sure my issue arose once I installed updates (only secure ones level 1-3)
    :j
  • emptybox
    emptybox Posts: 442 Forumite
    Options
    ferry wrote: »
    Interesting what you say about the kernel as I am quite sure my issue arose once I installed updates (only secure ones level 1-3)

Mint is very conservative with kernel updates. They are counted as level 4 I think.
    By default Mint doesn't update the kernel without user intervention.
  • Fightsback
    Fightsback Posts: 2,504 Forumite
    edited 18 October 2016 at 12:53PM
    Options

Ew, onboard. Pick up a cheap low profile pcie card, plenty of cheap ones on fleabay. AGP will not fit your machine. I'd recommend going for a minimum of radeon HD6000 series.

This not a recommendation but merely an example gleaned from the first hit:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XFX-Radeon-HD-6450-1gb-Graphics-Card-Low-Profile-Card-DVI-HDMI-/122181766779?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Make sure the card you choose matched the port you have eg, VGA or DVI and get one that has a HDMI output
    Science isn't exact, it's only confidence within limits.
  • Fightsback
    Options
    emptybox wrote: »
    Mint is very conservative with kernel updates. They are counted as level 4 I think.

There was a bucket load of power management rewrites and new code dropped around then and there were quite a few bugs. One I had to get fixed myself upstream at kernel bugzilla.
  • ferry
    Options
    Out of interest is the general feeling that an upgrade to 18 may solve the issue?
  • Fightsback
    Options
    Out of interest is the general feeling that an upgrade to 18 may solve the issue?

Well you nothing to lose, just make sure you back up any important data.
  • Fightsback
    edited 18 October 2016 at 1:34PM
    Options

For info:

http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1412.1/00705.html
  • emptybox
    emptybox Posts: 442 Forumite
    Options
    Fightsback wrote: »

That's interesting.
    I have Mint on a PC with a core2duo, 4GB RAM and a Radeon HD5450 graphics card and I didn't have any issues on 17.3 or the 3.19 kernel.
    It's running Mint 18 now, which ships with the 4.4 kernel provided you do a clean install.
  • Fightsback
    Options
    That's interesting.
    I have Mint on a PC with a core2duo, 4GB RAM and a Radeon HD5450 graphics card and I didn't have any issues on 17.3 or the 3.19 kernel.
    It's running Mint 18 now, which ships with the 4.4 kernel provided you do a clean install.

You get quirks in ACPI tables, there are some specific quirk work arounds added to the kernel. Not everyone gets hit by specific hardware problems if they don't have that hardware ;)

An old comment by Bill Gates

From: Bill Gates Sent: Sunday, January 24, 1999 8:41 AM To: Jeff Westorinen; Ben Fathi Cc: Carl Stork (Exchange); Nathan Myhrvold; Eric Rudder Subject: ACPI extensions One thing I find myself wondering about is whether we shouldn't try and make the "ACPI" extensions som It seems unfortunate if we do this work and get our partners to do the work and the results is that Linux w Maybe there is no way to avoid this problem but it does bother me. Maybe we could define the APIs so that they work well with NT and not the others even if they are open. Or maybe we could patent something related to this.
  • ferry
    Options
    Just doing a fresh instal of 18 on a spare HDD i had. When done will stick that in the problem PC and report back.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport