EDF Threat re Smart Meter

Can EDF do this.

[FONT=&quot]*Easy Online is a tariff backed with a smart meter. If you don’t book your appointment and complete your meter installation in accordance with its terms, we may end this contract on 30 days’ notice and transfer you onto Deemed contract terms and prices (which are typically more expensive). Smart meters are subject to availability and eligibility criteria set out in the T&Cs. Customers unable to book a smart meter installation appointment due to either installer availability or a complex meter type will not be removed from the tariff.

^Very rarely, your smart meter may be unable to send us an automated meter reading due to connectivity loss. If this happens we’ll try to contact you for a manual meter reading. If we don’t manage to get it from you, we’ll send you an estimated bill.

During installation we may identify that a smart meter isn't compatible with the current metering set up at your property. If this is the case, we’ll reinstall your existing meter and get in touch when we’re able to offer you a suitable smart meter.

Calls to UK wide numbers are included in any inclusive call plan you may have. If you don’t have an inclusive call plan, calls are charged at a national rate. Please check with your service provider if you’re unsure.

[/FONT]

Comments

• frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi,

if you sign up and agree to their T&Cs, then they can.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,586
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Yes.

If you don't want a smart meter then go for a different tariff or supplier that doesn't insist on on one.

In the end it's going to cost people who don't want a smart meter more for their energy than those who don't really care because the cheaper tariff will be conditional on having one.

It's your choice smart with cheaper energy or non smart and pay more.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Here is a paste of the Smart Meter section of their T and Cs

• Smart meters automatically send us your meter readings. It is your choice whether or not you would like to have a Smart meter installed at your property. By signing up to this tariff you agree to having a Smart meter fitted when we’re installing them in your area, and to us contacting you to ask you to book an appointment for its installation. However, if you do not wish to have a Smart meter installed you may, at any time, inform us that you are opting out of having a Smart meter.

No mention of stopping existing tariff.
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,552
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Energy providers are being pressed to install more smart meters. nine smaller ones who haven't yet signed up are being pressed to do so. Of the big six more of them (and some others) are offering tariffs which are cheaper for those with smart meters. It is (currently) your choice but some existing tariffs may be closed to you. It seems you have signed up to a tariff which requires smart meters when they are available and ready too install so if you don't want one then switch tariff or switch supplier.
  • I have just had interesting Webchat with EDF.I think they are just trying to bully people into having Smart Meters.Here is a transcript of the webchat.

[FONT=&quot]Welcome to EDF Energy Online Customer Service Team. You're chatting with Lahari. How can I help you?[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Stuart:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Hi,I have received an email from you telling me If I dont have a Smart Meter fitted my tariff will be amended and I will have to pay more.In your terms and conditions re Smart Meters it says I can opt out and there is no mention of altering Tariffs[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Lahari:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Hello Stuart. Do not worry please. We can opt you out of smart meter. Your tariff will not be affected. I will do this roght away. Would you mind if I take a minute for this?[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Stuart:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Are you sure my tariff Easy on Line Sep20 will remain and that I will not be affected in future On LIne tariffs[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Yes, please rest assured. As per the terms and coditions, the smart meter can be opted out without affecting the tariff.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Stuart:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Thats fine then.Please go ahead and opt me out.Thank you[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Sure. I am updating th smart meter opt out now and I will confirm.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Thank you for your patience. I have now opted you out from smart meter.\[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Stuart:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Thanks Lahari, Have a nice day Bye[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Lahari:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] It has been my pleasure, thank you for your time and have a nice day!
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]EDF Energy really values your feedback. Please click the ‘close chat’ button at the top right of the page to answer a few questions about your experience with us and thank you for chatting with me today. Goodbye.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Info:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] As requested, a copy of our chat transcript will be sent by email to {email address} at the end of our chat.[/FONT]
  • Old news I'm afraid cash in the attick.

News has been around since summer, much more immediately noticeable with mandatory smets install as contract renewals are actioned.

Still it's good to continually mention it and move it up the attention agenda. Best of.luck !
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • Lex_Marshall
    Lex_Marshall Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 5 February 2020 at 11:10AM
    I am in dispute with EDF over their insistence of installing smart meters. I am on their Simply Online tariff. When I signed up last October via MSE I was not aware of this insistence on smart meters otherwise I would not have signed up. Currently, you cannot miss the fact that you are signing up for such, but last October it was not clear.

Anyway, I have never had access to my contract with EDF neither on line nor by hard copy (I was not sent a welcome pack). If they slipped the smart meter thing into the contract then I would have picked it up and cancelled within the 14 day cooling off period, but no contract so no opportunity to react. The disagreement is on-going at present.

I notice that Stuart is on the Easy Online tariff and seems to have a “get out of smart meter clause” in his September contract. Just wondering if that still holds for new contracts. It seems I am able to switch from my current tariff to another EDF one without penalty, so this could be an option if things get really dark. I am thinking of involving the ombudsman at some point. I am also able to save about £90 by switching to another supplier highlighted by MSE.

As for smart meters, I just wish to choose to not have them. I like the idea of helping the Government not achieve its target, but primarily it is a matter of principle. Initial concerns about allowing a spy or hacker into ones internal network seem to have been dissipated by CESG making sure the smart meters hang off a different type of network to your internet one, so in theory there is no way across. However it would appear to be the case that the energy suppliers are able to switch household gas and electricity smart meters off remotely – presumably by just pressing a couple of buttons.

A security issue raised, but apparently disregarded by the Government, is the possibility of rogue code being hidden in the mass produced smart meters, that may activate sometime in the future to shut meters down en-mass and then maybe switch them back on again later – it is reckoned this would wreck the national electricity grid. Seems to be a recipe for utter disaster or for a good film.
    p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; line-height: 115%; background: transparent }
  • I have just had interesting Webchat with EDF.I think they are just trying to bully people into having Smart Meters.Here is a transcript of the webchat.

[FONT=&quot]Welcome to EDF Energy Online Customer Service Team. You're chatting with Lahari. How can I help you?[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Stuart:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Hi,I have received an email from you telling me If I dont have a Smart Meter fitted my tariff will be amended and I will have to pay more.In your terms and conditions re Smart Meters it says I can opt out and there is no mention of altering Tariffs[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Lahari:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Hello Stuart. Do not worry please. We can opt you out of smart meter. Your tariff will not be affected. I will do this roght away. Would you mind if I take a minute for this?[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Stuart:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Are you sure my tariff Easy on Line Sep20 will remain and that I will not be affected in future On LIne tariffs[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Yes, please rest assured. As per the terms and coditions, the smart meter can be opted out without affecting the tariff.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Stuart:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Thats fine then.Please go ahead and opt me out.Thank you[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Sure. I am updating th smart meter opt out now and I will confirm.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Thank you for your patience. I have now opted you out from smart meter.\[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Stuart:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Thanks Lahari, Have a nice day Bye[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Lahari:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] It has been my pleasure, thank you for your time and have a nice day!
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]EDF Energy really values your feedback. Please click the ‘close chat’ button at the top right of the page to answer a few questions about your experience with us and thank you for chatting with me today. Goodbye.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Info:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] As requested, a copy of our chat transcript will be sent by email to {email address} at the end of our chat.[/FONT]

I have an almost identical webchat from them, when I signed up to the tariff last year. They assured me I could stay on the tariff without a "smart" meter.

Here's the thing. "Smart" meters are useless, and their roll-out is costing us all dearly. If it ever comes to pass that I have to have one, either due to legislation or a very competitive pricing model that it would be foolish to turn down, I will insist that readings are supplied at the maximum interval (weekly or monthly, whatever it is), I won't ever interact with the supplier again (except when changing supplier), so no manual readings from me under any circumstances or any other communication, and I'll chuck out (probably recycle) the in-house unit.

You want to be more efficient in your use of energy? Then switch something off.

[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

What is your actual tariff called?

I have just had the same email but was never informed of this by the MSE switching or by EDF

I'm on Electricity: Simply Online 1 Year Fix Sep20v4 | Gas: Simply Online 1 Year Fix Sep20v4

Thanks in advance @Cash in the attic
  • Hi, I am on Easy Online Sept20 Tariff,but I suspect it would apply to all tariffs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure