TUI plane seat reservation

Comments

• martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    jpsartre wrote: »
    There is no cost to the train company to allocate seats to passengers so there's no cost to include.
    They have to set up the web site to allow seat reservations and on the train either cardboard tickets need to be placed on seats or something plugged into the electronic seat reservations system.

There must be costs involved in this which as has been said is built into the ticket prices.
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Fair enough, there are obviously some costs to offering advance seat selection. Let me rephrase the point then: The charges for advance seat selection that are in place with many airlines do not reflect the actual cost of offering this product.
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,356 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 October 2018 at 6:34PM
    Perhaps it varies between train companies ?

I know that certain bus operators charge a small fee for reserved seats - and others simply don't offer the option.

I have limited experience of flying except as a couple, and we've never been seated separately in 40 + years of package holidays, flight only deals and air connections to join a cruise ship.

We have been allocated aisle seats in the same row a very few times which is not an issue for us, although I understand some punters consider that as separate seating.

On two occasions we have had grandkids in the party and the airline tried to have me pay extra to sit the group together - I challenged top management to justify this and they relented both times as a "goodwill" gesture.
  • I for one welcome the fact that you can reserve seats in advance, and I don't even mind paying for it. It means I can guarantee some peace and quiet sat away from my children for the duration of the flight, whereas in the past the airline always used to just seat us together!
  • MataNui
    MataNui Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    Even paying to reserve doesnt mean you get what you want with some airlines.

We booked with Jet2 and payed for and reserved 2 extra leg room seats for both the outbound and return journeys at the time of booking.

When we boarded the plane on the outbound we found the seats were not extra leg room, just standard. The seat numbers were what we reserved though. Turns out the plane configuration was different to the one on the booking (two seats by the door were on the other side of the aircraft) so our 'extra leg room' were not extra leg room on that plane. It was a good job i had the email confirmation with me that proved i had payed for the extra leg room so they moved us once everyone was seated. Exactly the same problem on the way back.

Had they sold those seats and not been able to move us i bet they wouldnt of refunded the money.
  • MataNui wrote: »

We booked with Jet2 and payed for and reserved 2 extra leg room seats for both the outbound and return journeys at the time of booking.

When we boarded the plane on the outbound we found the seats were not extra leg room, just standard. The seat numbers were what we reserved though. Turns out the plane configuration was different to the one on the booking (two seats by the door were on the other side of the aircraft) so our 'extra leg room' were not extra leg room on that plane. It was a good job i had the email confirmation with me that proved i had payed for the extra leg room so they moved us once everyone was seated. Exactly the same problem on the way back.

Had they sold those seats and not been able to move us i bet they wouldnt of refunded the money.

They probably would had you contacted them, dont be negative.

Anyway I see the OP has flounced off, probably because everyone didnt agree with him.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    MataNui wrote: »

All airlines do this. You don't reserve a seat, you request a preferred seat. Every airline's T&Cs will state that you aren't guaranteed the seat you selected and can be moved elsewhere.
  • zagfles wrote: »
    All airlines do this. You don't reserve a seat, you request a preferred seat. Every airline's T&Cs will state that you aren't guaranteed the seat you selected and can be moved elsewhere.

In the case of extra legroom though you are paying more than for a normal seat, so they should refund you if due to other circumstances this changes to a bog standard seat.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    In the case of extra legroom though you are paying more than for a normal seat, so they should refund you if due to other circumstances this changes to a bog standard seat.
    They should but probably don't have to.
  • pingu
    pingu Posts: 1,467 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    i have never paid and never will
    i always arrive early so check in staff have no excuse only once was told we are going to be separated cos they were waiting if customers may pay to sit together wife(very nervous flyer) just said no way she was sitting on her own they called the supervisor who said ok but if there is a paying customer we might have to move(once boarding card issued how they were going to do that)

i have noticed even schedule airlines started to charge if you want to pick a seat.

with thomas cook it depends on holiday package in june we got to pick the seat and 20kg luggage but last week we didnt and standard 15kg.

my tip is arrive as early as you can also if lounge is booked you want to make most of it!
    Honesty is the best policy doesn't matter which web site
    you are on!

if i had known then what i know now!

a bargain is only a bargain if you really need it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure