Comments

• Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 3 October 2015 at 8:47AM
    Options
    sounds wrote: »

Hi,

5p is not a large amount of money but I do believe we the British public are being conned.Conned into providing funding for good causes. You can avoid being "conned" by providing your own bags. If its not a huge charge let the shops pay it! If the bags are free for customers, customers will not restrict how many they use.

I sort of see the logic of charging for bags for food after all its single use like the bags but I don't fancy bringing home my £50 jumper or white shirt from Marks & Sparks, in a bag that's had last weeks potatoes in with all the mud. After paying £50 for a jumper paying 5p for a bag is irrelevant. The thing thats get me is I will have to buy a bag and I will be advertising the company all around town that I bought my garment from, Turn the bag inside out. I know that's the extreme end but I hope you get my point. Food yes clothes no! On the other side of things impulse buying will go out the window. 5p not a lot but its the principle of the matter for me.

Perhaps I will try on my proposed clothes purchase in the shop, order on line and have it delivered to store, it comes ready wrapped!!! Great idea. That'll teach them.

As for those who have their food delivered let the driver take longer to bring it in and take your time unloading it, means it will cost the store more as they will be doing fewer deliveries each day. Another subversive plan. Why punish the shops for government policy?.

You can keep your free bags if you can find a better way of reducing this.

plastic-bags-middle-east.png
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    MSE_Helen wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

From 5 October, supermarkets in England will charge 5p for carrier bags. So I wanted to know:

1. What are your views on the charge? Is it good/bad/don't care - and why?
    2. And do you have any MoneySaving tips for getting around the fee?

Other than reusing you own bags there is no sneaky way around it. Like getting a free bag with your freshly cut steak oozing blood but sneaking your box of corn flakes in with it, if the checkout operator sees you do this then they have to charge. :)
  • sarahj1986
    sarahj1986 Posts: 1,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I understand why they are doing it. The recycle aspect if it is a big one. I have been hoarding bags for a couple of weeks which I keep in my ruck sack. If I do going shopping I take that with me for heavy items (no car) and then I have a couple of bags for other items if I need it. My main shop online is either Morrisons who inform me the bag less option is currently not in place so they have to charge me per bag. With that however when I next get a shop in I can return said bags and get my 5p refunded for each bag. I now have the system in place of taking the bags upstairs, empty then return the bags down stairs to the door so they are ready for my next delivery.

Does anybody know as I've only seen supermarkets advertise this - will clothes/other non food shops be doing this?
    :money::rotfl::T
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You can keep your free bags if you can find a better way of reducing this.

plastic-bags-middle-east.png

I have the impression that the majority of the plastic in this picture is not shopping bags but bin liners and the tough plastic used to wrap clothing, household linens , mail order items etc..
  • Norman_Castle
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »
    I have the impression that the majority of the plastic in this picture is not shopping bags but bin liners and the tough plastic used to wrap clothing, household linens , mail order items etc..
    Its just a random picture!.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    When a customer has tried to buy 3 packs of paracetamol (the law states max. 2 packs of 16.....)

Off topic but that is not what the law says at all. The law says that where paracetamol is on general sale without a prescription, for example at a supermarket rather than a pharmacy, there is a maximum pack size of 16 and the supply must not exceed 100 tablets.

A supermarket could legally sell 6 packs if they chose to.

Law and Guidance are not the same thing!

The decision to sell only two packs is supermarket policy.
  • yvonne13_2
    yvonne13_2 Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So now I have to pay to advertise what shop I get my perishables from.......
    It's better to regret something I did do than to regret something that I didn’t. :EasterBun
  • acemo
    Options
    As we are now paying for these plastic bags, are they covered by EU shopping guarantees, repairs, replacement, refund laws ? and how long does the guarantees last ?, and does the shop u purchased them from have to comply with this.
  • Norman_Castle
    Options
    yvonne13 wrote: »
    So now I have to pay to advertise what shop I get my perishables from.......
    No you don't.. You can use your own bag.
  • balletshoes
    balletshoes Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    Options
    sounds wrote: »

Hi,

5p is not a large amount of money but I do believe we the British public are being conned. If its not a huge charge let the shops pay it! The charge is for plastic bags....well why not give us paper bags, Primark will they be charging?

I sort of see the logic of charging for bags for food after all its single use like the bags but I don't fancy bringing home my £50 jumper or white shirt from Marks & Sparks, in a bag that's had last weeks potatoes in with all the mud. The thing thats get me is I will have to buy a bag and I will be advertising the company all around town that I bought my garment from, I know that's the extreme end but I hope you get my point. Food yes clothes no! On the other side of things impulse buying will go out the window. 5p not a lot but its the principle of the matter for me.

Perhaps I will try on my proposed clothes purchase in the shop, order on line and have it delivered to store, it comes ready wrapped!!!

As for those who have their food delivered let the driver take longer to bring it in and take your time unloading it, means it will cost the store more as they will be doing fewer deliveries each day.

how does it take longer for a home delivery from the supermarket to be unpacked from the truck if its not packed in bags? I don't have mine packed in bags, there are generally 4 crates or more taken off the van, but only 2 at a time from the driver, so by the time he/she has gone to the van for the 2nd lot of crates and come back with them, i've unpacked my first lot and they're empty. How would that be any quicker if the items were packed in bags, in the crates?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure