Advice needed on rent

We are mixed age couple. I have been told by the council and welfare rights again because I receive £64. and my partner £168 state pension we aren't entitled to help with the rent and that I would have to pay from the carers £79 per week rent payments and that we couldn't claim universal credit as they would also tell us we aren't entitled. I'm at my wits end as by the time we pay full rent and council tax along with bills and food we aren't going to manage. My partner is on pip and gets high rate for mobility and middle care.

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 18 October 2019 at 8:32PM
    You have not mentioned it in your income but what disability benefit is your husband getting and at what rate in order for you to get the Carer’s Allowance (I assume this is what you mean by ‘the carers’)?

The council are correct to say that, as a mixed age couple, you cannot claim Housing Benefit.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 18 October 2019 at 9:02PM
    From an earlier thread in May

"He gets the Daily Living component standard of pip £58.70 and Enhanced rate £61.20"

OP

For clarity

Is your income

Partners SP £168 pw
    PIP £120 pw
    Carers £66 pw

Total £354

And your rent is £79 pw?

Edited because of brain freeze!
  • calcotti
    Forumite
    If you claimed UC you would have a monthly entitlement of 659.09/month (standard element plus carer element) plus help with your rent. Your joint income of pension £168 and Carer’s Allowance of £66.15 is £1014.65/month. The PIP of £119.90/week is ignored. If your monthly help with rent entitlement is less than £355.56/month (£82/week) there will therefore be no UC entitlement.

However if your husband obtains a Fit Note from his GP and you both then claim UC anyway he can ask to have a Work Capability Assessment (even though neither of you will be expected to work or look for work). If as a result of the assessment he was found to have a Limited Capability for Work and Work Related Activity the UC entitlement would increase by £336.20/month from the fourth month.

If he was getting the enhanced rate of Daily Living PIP he would automatically be treated as having a LCWRA.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti wrote: »
    You have not mentioned it in your income but what disability benefit is your husband getting and at what rate in order for you to get the Carer’s Allowance (I assume this is what you mean by ‘the carers’)?

The council are correct to say that, as a mixed age couple, you cannot claim Housing Benefit.

Sorry, He gets pip £468 high mobility and middle care. I receive Carers Allowance and he has his state pension.
  • rosey-789
    rosey-789 Posts: 29 Forumite
    edited 18 October 2019 at 8:58PM
    calcotti wrote: »
    If you claimed UC you would have a monthly entitlement of 659.09/month (standard element plus carer element) plus help with your rent. Your joint income of pension £168 and Carer’s Allowance of £66.15 is £1014.65/month. The PIP of £119.90/week is ignored. If your monthly help with rent entitlement is less than £355.56/month (£82/week) there will therefore be no UC entitlement.

However if your husband obtains a Fit Note from his GP and you both then claim UC anyway he can ask to have a Work Capability Assessment (even though neither of you will be expected to work or look for work). If as a result of the assessment he was found to have a Limited Capability for Work and Work Related Activity the UC entitlement would increase by £336.20/month from the fourth month.

If he was getting the enhanced rate of Daily Living PIP he would automatically be treated as having a LCWRA.

No he receives middle rate care. Our rent is £79 and a few pennies a week so what you're saying is we won't be entitled to any rent help whatsoever and will have to pay our rent from my Carers £64 and my partners pension £168? My partner even asked if he has to his state pension and they said yes as he won't be entitled to any benefit.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,846
    Forumite
    rosey-789 wrote: »
    Sorry, He gets pip £468 high mobility and middle care.
    There's no middle rate care for PIP, it's Standard or Enhanced.
  • calcotti
    Forumite
    Sorry, He gets pip £468 high mobility and middle care. I receive Carers Allowance and he has his state pension.
    This is what I understood from the start of Neil’s post. See my post at #4.
  • calcotti
    Forumite
    edited 18 October 2019 at 9:08PM
    No he receives middle rate care. Our rent is £79 and a few pennies a week so what you're saying is we won't be entitled to any rent help whatsoever and will have to pay our rent from my Carers £64 and my partners pension £168?
    And the PIP of £119.90 (standard rate daily living and enhanced rate mobility).

However you also have the option, as explained in my earlier post, of getting a Fit Note, claiming UC, requesting a WCA and hoping your husband is found to have LCWRA which would then get you about £320/month.
  • calcotti wrote: »

Doctor won't give him a fit note as can hardly walk with his mobility problem and has recently had a heart attack and has stents fitted.
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,860
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    A fit note is the new name for sick note.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure