Motability 3 years Lease, After 3 years can you purchase the car? What price ?

Comments

• easy
    easy Posts: 2,516 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yes, if you are still eligible to receive DLA, then you can resume receiving your DLA payment.

OP, Your aunt was never removed from her DLA payment, it was simply that her payment was diverted to Motability, rather than being paid directly to her.

At the end of her agreement (I think 3 months before), she can ask for a price to purchase the vehicle. She can then buy it - either paying outright, or I believe she can ask about using her DLA payment to pay a motability hire-purchase agreement, or she could take out a loan from any other source to buy it. Another family member or friend could purchase the vehicle from Motability if they wanted it.

At the end of my last contract my husband purchased the car. The price we were quoted by Motability was very fair we felt. OK it wasn't rock bottom, but given that we had known the car from new, it had been main-dealer serviced from new, we knew that it had been well treated, and it came with a years MOT and a year's warranty, a price of just under £6k for a three year-old 1.6 auto estate with 17k on the clock seemed like a good deal.
    I started a new contract on another car, when we get to the end of this one we might do the same again.
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say. :)
  • easy wrote: »
    Yes, if you are still eligible to receive DLA, then you can resume receiving your DLA payment.

OP, Your aunt was never removed from her DLA payment, it was simply that her payment was diverted to Motability, rather than being paid directly to her.

At the end of her agreement (I think 3 months before), she can ask for a price to purchase the vehicle. She can then buy it - either paying outright, or I believe she can ask about using her DLA payment to pay a motability hire-purchase agreement, or she could take out a loan from any other source to buy it. Another family member or friend could purchase the vehicle from Motability if they wanted it.

At the end of my last contract my husband purchased the car. The price we were quoted by Motability was very fair we felt. OK it wasn't rock bottom, but given that we had known the car from new, it had been main-dealer serviced from new, we knew that it had been well treated, and it came with a years MOT and a year's warranty, a price of just under £6k for a three year-old 1.6 auto estate with 17k on the clock seemed like a good deal.
    I started a new contract on another car, when we get to the end of this one we might do the same again.

alternativly after the 3 years,

can she get that money after the 3 years, paid Back to her bank account, as she was getting it?

so she will get the Highter rate mobility back on track? for 1 more year

and then after that year, choose another vehical (after she sees how it goes )
  • easy
    easy Posts: 2,516 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    yes, that is what my first paragraph said
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say. :)
  • easy wrote: »
    yes, that is what my first paragraph said

oh yes, thanks :)
  • pstuart
    pstuart Posts: 668 Forumite
    Thanks Paul, this now sounds like a plan!
  • I got my car on hire purchase. They don't advertise it anymore but it can be done if you phone them up. The first girl told me they didn't do it anymore and then i phoned again and said that i was basically being forced into having a lease car that would never be mine and miraculously they put me through to the hire purchase department. The car has to be under 3 years old with less than £40,000 miles on it. The hire purchase can be over 3,4,or 5 years and my apr was 8.9% i think. They tried their best to get me to go for a lease but i was adamant as i knew what car i wanted and needed for my daughter. So yeah it can be done, you just need to get past the person on the phone who probably doesn't even know it exists :j
  • hi my daughter has been awarded full mobility iv gone through every chanel to find out if she can buy a used car useing her allowance rather than lease so it becomes her own iv been told this stoped last year .i see gracey 13above seems to have managed to do this can you tell me if this was resent and who i contact to find out if this is possible and is a credit check
  • I called them and asked this question as I wanted to take the HP option rather then the lease option and was told NO! That they stopped it, that was just a couple weeks ago so if anyone knows any different I would like info please.

Thanks
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    joseyjo25 wrote: »
    hi my daughter has been awarded full mobility iv gone through every chanel to find out if she can buy a used car useing her allowance rather than lease so it becomes her own iv been told this stoped last year .i see gracey 13above seems to have managed to do this can you tell me if this was resent and who i contact to find out if this is possible and is a credit check
    If you want a used car .... Why not buy a used car on HP / PCP from a dealer and use the DLA to pay the monthly premium?

Obvious disadvantages would be a second hand car may not be as reliable as a new motor and you are responsible for maintenance, insurance et al
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • ruds46
    ruds46 Posts: 29 Forumite
    Motability don't have a finance scheme, you have to finance it yourself if you don't have the cash up front. They take into account the mileage and condition of the vehicle and want top book price.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure