cyclist deaths & the law

Comments

• Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 2 July 2012 at 10:13AM
    Cyclists do cause damage and they also cause personal injury to pedestrians. They should therefore be insured and registered so they can be held accountable for their actions.
    Cyclist don't need to be insured or registered to be held accountable for their actions. Motorists are required to have third party insurance due to the possible high cost of their liabilities.
    If motorists had to personally pay the full cost of accidents rather than relying on insurance to cover them I expect driving standards would improve.
  • Limey
    Limey Posts: 444 Forumite
    I wouldn't mind refresher courses in driving, but I also think that cycle training at school should be compulsory. I know it may not all sink in but maybe it will go some way to helping with their road awareness.

There are a lot of cyclists where I live so I always keep an eye out for them but there have been a few incidents where I could not have forseen the actions of the cyclist. In one case I would have needed x-ray vision to see through the truck they cycled out from behind (old biddy crossing the road), fortunately my car had good brakes and I was on the ball so stopped with inches to spare.
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    custardy wrote: »
    So that will cut down on cyclist deaths and injuries. which unlike all other oad users,appears to be on the rise (although needs validation on number of cyclists vs accidents)
    The taxi that caused my accident was registered,insured & licenced
    Didnt change anything for me. was he/she held accountable? or did they simply drive off and leave me for dead on the road?

Presumably as you know the taxi was registered & insured, the driver was located by police and prosecuted. Secondly as they were insured you were able to claim damages from their compulsory third-party insurance policy. :)

As you're dragging individual circumstances into the discussion, how do you explain the behaviour of a cyclist who, whilst riding on the pavement, knocked over a colleague of mine? She was on crutches for a while as a result and the cyclist was never traced and thus was not held accountable for their actions.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Crabman wrote: »
    Presumably as you know the taxi was registered & insured, the driver was located by police and prosecuted. Secondly as they were insured you were able to claim damages from their compulsory third-party insurance policy. :)

As you're dragging individual circumstances into the discussion, how do you explain the behaviour of a cyclist who, whilst riding on the pavement, knocked over a colleague of mine? She was on crutches for a while as a result and the cyclist was never traced and thus was not held accountable for their actions.

well given it was a black hack. i would hope it was registered and insured. The taxi was never traced, thus was not held accountable for their actions. thus was not held accountable for their actions.

the point is how would it have a positive affect on cyclist deaths to register them? or do they deserve what they get because they arent registered?
  • Sgt_Pepper_2
    Sgt_Pepper_2 Posts: 3,644 Forumite
    well given it was a black hack. i would hope it was registered and insured. The taxi was never traced, thus was not held accountable for their actions. thus was not held accountable for their actions.

the point is how would it have a positive affect on cyclist deaths to register them? or do they deserve what they get because they arent registered?

How many of your cyclist statistics show the cyclist at fault?
    1886 Posts: 499 Forumite
    I'm a cyclist, both on and off road. When I go on road I only go at certain times of the day and only go on country lanes, try to stick to quiet roads with less traffic.
    Most of the time I go on the road I experience at least one case of dangerous driving towards me. The other day I had a woman in an Audi A1 overtake me just as I was about to go through a chicane i.e where one vehicle has priority over the other. If I had pulled over any further to go through the chicane she would have hit me. I had a vehicle try and overtake me on a very narrow bridge one time too.
    I find the usual reason for this behaviour is impatience. Like when a car behind me overtakes me as a car is about to pass me coming towards me. Why not wait for it to pass?
    There was a woman cyclist killed near me last year who was taking part in a time trial. It must have been awful, other members of the club were riding along and coming across what had happened. The car driver got done for careless driving and something like a four year ban. It makes me sick, she had a husband and children.
    Cyclists are seen as a hazard and a nuisance, Alot of drivers hate us, that`s why they drive so close. They think we have no right to be on the road.
    I did the London to Brighton last year for the third time. 30,000 cylists took the streets back over from the cars and they had to like it.
  • custardy
    Sgt_Pepper wrote: »
    How many of your cyclist statistics show the cyclist at fault?

my statistics? unfortunatly ive yet to see accurate figures.(and in many cases blame is subjective or unlclear)
    again you seem to miss the point.
    I don't particularly care who is at fault in the end.
    more so that things improve to cut the chances of dying on the bike.
    The problem is for example.
    had I died on the road after the taxi drove off.
    I would no doubt have been put down as me falling off my bike.
    The irony being I went by road as the 'safer' option, as Edinburgh council refuse to grit even the main cycling routes. In my case our part of a 1000+ mile route NN1.
  • Sgt_Pepper_2
    my statistics? unfortunatly ive yet to see accurate figures.(and in many cases blame is subjective or unlclear)
    again you seem to miss the point.
    I don't particularly care who is at fault in the end.
    more so that things improve to cut the chances of dying on the bike.
    The problem is for example.
    had I died on the road after the taxi drove off.
    I would no doubt have been put down as me falling off my bike.
    The irony being I went by road as the 'safer' option, as Edinburgh council refuse to grit even the main cycling routes. In my case our part of a 1000+ mile route NN1.

I think you'll find that had you died a lot of effort would have been put into finding the driver.

Or in truth did you really just fall off?
  • custardy
    Sgt_Pepper wrote: »
    I think you'll find that had you died a lot of effort would have been put into finding the driver.

Or in truth did you really just fall off?

what driver? how would they know there was a driver?
  • Sgt_Pepper_2
    what driver? how would they know there was a driver?

So there were no witnesses to your collision and no impact marks on you or your bike?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure