Ifa fee

jmb1
jmb1 Posts: 205 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
Hi. I realise this varies depending on various factors, but just for an idea, any idea what fee I will be charged as a ball park for setting up a 30k secured loan? Im not in London. I've had about two or three cumulative hours advice discussing options so unsure if they'll charge for that within the fee? I'm just a bit worried I'm in for a shock when I get their quote.

Comments

• foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Last quote I saw, which was a few years ago, was for £5,000.

Hope that helps.
  • jmb1
    Holy smokes.
  • foxy-stoat
    jmb1 wrote: »
    Holy smokes.

Its all good, it gets added to the high interest rate loan that is secured on your property and is paid over 20+ years so without interest it will be £20 a month but interest gets added to it so it will be a bit more.....oh and if you read the small print you may find out that the interest rate maybe variable after 2 or 5 years and they can sell the debt on to whoever they like.
  • jmb1
    You're not too enamored by them then I take it?
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,600 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    who would be - you risk the roof over your head (assuming it is secured on your home) if you don't keep up the payments
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • foxy-stoat

Depends what you want the £30,000 for - if its to consolidate other debts then no, if its to buy property then probably ok, if its to put it all on red evens then upto you, home improvements then try unsecured and low interest credit card shuffling or remortgage, but I would look to save and sell stuff first.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite

Only take 1 out if your sure its right for you and your aware of the negatives.
  • jmb1
    edited 23 January 2020 at 5:17PM
    foxy-stoat wrote: »
    Depends what you want the £30,000 for - if its to consolidate other debts then no, if its to buy property then probably ok, if its to put it all on red evens then upto you, home improvements then try unsecured and low interest credit card shuffling or remortgage, but I would look to save and sell stuff first.

Yes, other debts. We're in a bit of financial debt trouble so have been dealing with an IFA firm and going through options. This was their recommendation in order to deal with 4 credit cards which I am unable to pay off and which soon finish their 0%, and two loans, one personal, one a car PCP. He advised to consolidate on a 4% 25 year loan secured against our house which works out about £150 per month and well affordable thus giving us more much needed cash flow (albeit costing a fair chunk of interest).

He said this was cheaper than having to pay the imminent 20ish%credit card interest with no current way of paying the debt off, even whilst it's still at 0%, or fee costs of transfers to new different credit cards. He did suggest we could remortgage to cover the loan amount to reduce the interest charge, in a years time.

Was this all bad advice? :( What other option would you suggest? Grateful for any advice.
  • foxy-stoat
    First you need to find out how you managed to rack up this amount of debt, apart from expensive car. You run the risk of clearing all the debts, and racking them back up again in a few years time and be in a double worse position than before.

Post up statement of affairs and see if theres anything that can be done. Maybe give the car back and buy a cheaper one, get more credit card BT deals and pay them down rather than the minimums. Are you still spending on the cards? What was the personal loan for and have you consolidated other debts before?
  • middleclassbutpoor
    middleclassbutpoor Posts: 774 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 23 January 2020 at 6:35PM
    Yes, other debts. We're in a bit of financial debt trouble so have been dealing with an IFA firm and going through options. This was their recommendation in order to deal with 4 credit cards which I am unable to pay off and which soon finish their 0%, and two loans, one personal, one a car PCP. He advised to consolidate on a 4% 25 year loan secured against our house which works out about £150 per month and well affordable thus giving us more much needed cash flow (albeit costing a fair chunk of interest).

He said this was cheaper than having to pay the imminent 20ish%credit card interest with no current way of paying the debt off, even whilst it's still at 0%, or fee costs of transfers to new different credit cards. He did suggest we could remortgage to cover the loan amount to reduce the interest charge, in a years time.

Was this all bad advice? :( What other option would you suggest? Grateful for any advice.

The advice is shocking imo.

Does that make them a bad adviser - no, not really but financial advisers sell products. If they have not agreed an hourly rate with you up front, this would suggest that they are going to receive remuneration through the provider somehow. I am not too familiar with the secured loan market from how Adviser work and the regulatory rules but there is a good article below which give a balanced view of the pro's and con's of what product you are being talked into.

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/secured-and-unsecured-borrowing-explained

So why do I find the advice shocking?

Because there is no consideration for your behaviour with money. You clearly have over stretched yourself. You have clearly got an issue with how you spend money.

You need to address the habit and the behaviour before you even consider securing a loan against your home. If you build up again because you can now 'afford' to take more loans out to buy things you can't afford, you are in a cycle which rarely has a good end to it.

My suggestion is that you go onto the debt free wannabe board and get help there. Very simply you need to see what you can do to clear the debt from your income and from selling things or increasing your income through reducing your outgoings and/or earning more money.

Fail to sort the root cause of your issues and you will end up like many other people we see on these boards who wish they had never done what they thought was the easy solution.

Sorry if this is harsh but Id rather say this than have you not consider the option that a financial adviser will rarely talk to you about -especially those who sell secured loans...

And just to add... If the Adviser really was advising you correctly - ask what the maximum payment you could pay on that loan - have they really determined £150 is reasonable or have they just asked what you think you can afford? The reality is that you would want to take the loan over the shortest period of time by paying the most you can before they change the rates on you. I therefore don't think the security of a lower payment gives you the security you think it will offer you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure