Warranty rights for kitchen hob

Comments

• societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 14 November 2018 at 4:02PM
    I can only imagine they will only offer the value of the original hob towards a more expensive replacement, or possibly give the value as a store card
    As mentioned above, if a refund was offered, it's likely to be reduced to take into account, the use you've already had.

And the small pans used to work perfectly
    Induction pans need treating with care. For example, rinsing a hot pan in cold water/ under a cold tap can cause the base to deform. Once that's happened, the problem will continue to get worse. Many users then blame the hob when it's actually caused by damaged pans.
    Cheap pans can deform under normal use, causing the same problem. I'm just wondering what pans the engineer recommended?
  • Just a cheap set from Asda. He swore by them, and tbf the pans that do work are excellent, very responsive on the rings that they work with.
  • DoaM wrote: »
    Are small pans supposed to work on the larger front "rings"? I have a halogen hob not induction, but I always put the small pans on small rings, large pans on large rings. (Medium pans will go on either a medium or small ring). Obviously a small pan would work on a large ring, but it would be pointless and a waste of energy.

No, induction needs the pan to completely cover the 'ring'. If it doesn't it won't work.

Unlike your halogen hob, a small pan will not work on a big ring (unless it's an expensive hob and even then it's not advisable).
  • graeme2911 wrote: »
    Just a cheap set from Asda. He swore by them, and tbf the pans that do work are excellent, very responsive on the rings that they work with.

Unless I missed it, you haven't said what they are made of?

A cheap set from Asda is unlikely to be a fully stainless steel set (no colour added to the outside)....I'm guessing this is your issue.

If you have a friend with a set of stainless steel pans ask if you can borrow and test the hob properly.
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    edited 14 November 2018 at 9:34PM
    if i have to pay out £400 extra for a new induction hob.
    Woah, that's pricey. I bought from here a couple of years ago, just been checking, and a couple that I looked at, advise a minimum 16cm pan. Mine does work with a 13cm but needs to be placed fairly carefully in the centre of the zone(s).
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Same thing happened to my induction hob, rings intermittently working then finally stopping altogether when it was 4 years old

fortunately my hob was from Ikea and fully covered by their guarantee so not only did I get a brand new hob, they also paid the electricians bill :)
  • Zandoni
    Zandoni Posts: 3,427 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    No, induction needs the pan to completely cover the 'ring'. If it doesn't it won't work.

Small pans work fine on the large rings of my Bosch induction hob.
  • The small pans used to work on all the rings, including the large rings.
    The hob has 100% deteriorated. I'm not questioning behaviour or expected performance of induction hobs generally, or if something should work or not. It doesn't work as it did when I bought it, with 2 sets of pans of varying sizes.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite

Unlike your halogen hob, a small pan will not work on a big ring (unless it's an expensive hob and even then it's not advisable).
    Utter nonsense. I've been using induction hobs for years now and all my pans work regardless of whether they're smaller than the "ring" or not.
  • Those that have pans which work well will have a decent hob make and decent pans. Circuitry within induction hobs is expensive, cheaper brands make the distances further apart meaning small pans cannot operate the 'rings'.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure