Faulty Dyson - Argos

Options

Comments

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    bery_451 wrote: »
    I disagree any brick and mortar retail shop has to put customer service on top of agenda otherwise they will lose to online and become extinct.

Heard john lewis stores are having problems and its not by coincidence that their customer service has declined over the years.
    Yes it is. All High St stores are having difficulties, JL are no exception, it has nothing to do with whether their CS is any better or worse in recent times.
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Had you bought online they would have 'sodded you off' to Dyson as well.

Some manufacturers are easier to deal with directly, Dyson being one of them.
    If Argos hadn't 'Sodded you off' then the following would have happened.

They would have taken the machine and called Dyson. Being a store and not an individual they wouldn't be a priority. Dyson would eventually collect, fix, return to store. Argos would at some point call you and you would then need to go into town, park, collect the machine.

Or

You call Dyson, they send out courier immediately, collect machine, fix machine and return machine (within a week last time I had one repaired)
  • isabellac
    isabellac Posts: 33 Forumite
    edited 16 November 2018 at 8:38PM
    Options
    A lot of high street stores actually match online prices from reputable web retailers now anyway so that consumers who want to buy from a bricks and mortar shop aren't missing out.

OP - I appreciate your frustration, but as I understand it a lot of companies like Dyson operate a pretty good turnaround on repairs of products that develop a fault. Your vacuum has a guarantee on it for x amount of time so that they have the opportunity to fix it for you should it stop working properly. In some other countries no such option exists and if your product breaks down through no fault of your own you are just expected to suck it up and buy another one - thank goodness it's not like that in the UK!

It surprises me that you would even consider buying cheaper refurbished products online if you've found the in-store experience so awful as trying to get the same result on the web can be much more challenging, given that it's all faceless and usually conducted via email/phone and pushed from one person to another.

I suppose the best way to explain that Argos are not being unreasonable is for you to put yourself in their shoes. Let's say you ran your own shop (selling vacuum cleaners, for example) and a customer brought in a relatively new product that had developed a fault.

You know that the item can be sent away by yourself to the manufacturer to have it fixed in a relatively short period of time, or the customer can do the same thing themselves (and potentially achieve a faster result by cutting out the 'middle man' - you). There will be no cost to your customer by taking either of these options, except that they may be slightly inconvenienced by being without their vacuum for say, up to two weeks. The customer however, enraged at this perfectly reasonable answer to their issue, demands that you replace their extremely expensive vacuum cleaner immediately.

Would you go ahead and do that, knowing that:

a) the issue had nothing to do with you whatsoever and is a manufacturing defect
    b) you would be out the entire cost of the item, despite the above meaning that there is zero onus on you to replace it

c) the product could easily be fixed or replaced for the customer by the manufacturer in a very short period of time, thus solving everyone's issues?

I highly doubt you would opt to just hand over the new vacuum/cash and accept the duff one on the basis of good customer service - and if you did, you would soon find yourself being fleeced by all sorts of people taking advantage of your kindness.
  • zoob
    zoob Posts: 574 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    You have stated the machine is faulty, what is the nature of the fault?
    Also what model of Dyson is it you have?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    zoob wrote: »
    You have stated the machine is faulty, what is the nature of the fault?
    Also what model of Dyson is it you have?
    I think the Op is already doing without his vacuum this weekend and will be waiting on a Dyson repair arranged for next week.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think the Op is already doing without his vacuum this weekend and will be waiting on a Dyson repair arranged for next week.
    Not sure how they're going to cope, must be "terrible" for them ;)
  • bery_451
    bery_451 Posts: 1,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If i bought the same dyson at amazon or at costco for cheaper they would have replaced or refunded the item straight away without the need to contact manufacturer and waiting for the manufacturer to repair. If only i realised then. Thats what you call customer service.

So with instores now you only get 14 or 28 or 30 or 45 or whatever days returns now? After that they can legally sod you off?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    If i bought the same dyson at amazon or at costco for cheaper they would have replaced or refunded the item straight away without the need to contact manufacturer
    No they wouldn't.

This was already pointed out earlier in the thread.

Not sure why are you still posting about this issue?

Surely Dyson have fixed your vacuum by now?
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    If i bought the same dyson at amazon or at costco for cheaper they would have replaced or refunded the item straight away without the need to contact manufacturer and waiting for the manufacturer to repair. If only i realised then. Thats what you call customer service.

So with instores now you only get 14 or 28 or 30 or 45 or whatever days returns now? After that they can legally sod you off?

Again, to spell this out for you. Some manufacturers are better dealt with directly. Dyson is one, Apple another. Their system is in place to streamline repairs so the customer gets the quickest solution.

I don't know what is difficult for you to grasp in that. It doesn't matter where you bought it from the outcome would always be the same.
  • mattyprice4004
    Options
    I was going to post a long winded reply, but it’s onbvious you have no grasp of your consumer rights, how to actually answer a question asked of you and generally being able to accept you are wrong.

Anyone else would have also referred you back to Dyson.
    A repair is within your consumer rights, they don’t have to exchange.
    Being without a vacuum isn’t a ‘terrible inconvenience’, get a grip.

It’s a very minor issue
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport