Budget Help

Hello all,

My partner and I have accrued just short of 22k of debt, which I can only blame on mental health (avoiding it all until it's just short of consuming me alive), living beyond means, rubbish wages and unfortunate, unavoidable circumstances!

I realised that we were in a spiral of borrowing to consolidate, then borrowing more - most of our income was spent paying off debts and in general we are not managing our money very well.

So I put a plan in to action of moving all our incomings and outgoings in to a joint account so everything was far more visible to both of us, rather transferring backwards and forwards to cover short falls.

I have a budget spreadsheets which lists all static outgoings but struggling to actively create a budget as we have a couple of outgoings that we cannot really estimate, for example, we have a payment meter for gas and cannot really estimate how much we will spend monthly on this, same with diesel for the car and food shopping. Can anyone suggest any ideas to help with this?

TIA!

Comments

• Indout96
    Indout96 Posts: 2,344 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    The only way you can estimate your monthly usage is by looking at previous bills and then using that as an estimate.
    But I am guessing you paid these in cash so not as easy to work out.
    All you can do is keep a record of the spending this month and then use that. The more months info you have the more accurate your figure will be as it will average out the rise and falls.
    For example if you fill up the car in week 1 and fuel lasts 3 weeks then you will fill up twice in month 1 & 2 but only once in month 3 so if it costs £80 each time them month 1 & 2 will be £160 but month 3 will be £80 so average £133
    Same with Gas / Electric - you will tend to use more in Winter than Summer so allow for that when counting what you use in the next few months or you will be short in Winter
    Totally Debt Free & Mortgage Free Semi retired and happy
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Look back on previous bank statements and start a spending diary or use a spending app tracker on your phone. Can you change from a meter to direct debit as meter paid energy is much more expensive. Easier to budget using monthly direct debits too.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi ellemarie

Some good tips and observations above. It can take time to build up a really accurate idea of your budget so getting started on a spending diary - whether through a suitable app or good old pen and paper, whatever works for you - is the key. Until then it's probably wise to add a few £ on top of any educated guesses you make for thins like energy, groceries etc. as a lot of us tend to let wishful thinking affect our estimates i.e. we like to think we spend less on XYZ than we do in reality.

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/factsheets/Pages/budgetingandsaving/budgetingadvice.aspx

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    With a prepayment meter you might think about setting yourselves up a savings account specifically for money to use for this. Then work out roughly what you spend per year (if you can - if not estimate by noting everything you put in for a month, and then bearing in mind the time of year at least double that for six months of the year, to cover the extra during winter) Average over 12 months (so for example £30 a month for April > September and £75 per month for October > March = £630 = £52.50 per month). Then set aside that monthly amount into your savings account each month, withdrawing ONLY what you need to feed the meter with - that way extra will accrue towards the winter months. Any excess you have in there at the end of next winter could be paid off debt or moved to more long-term savings.

Groceries, to give you an idea there are two of us in my household - we spend well under £200 per month on groceries - that includes meat mostly from farmers markets or direct from suppliers, free range eggs, and everything cooked from scratch. Also some oddments of toiletries and cleaning stuff included in that figure. We've probably got it a bit more nailed down that some, but again, it gives you a clue.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business