Looking for help, is employer breaking the law?

Comments

• leslieknope
    leslieknope Posts: 334 Forumite
    if it's an error by the employee not handing in their timesheet on time, why would it be your problem? every work has a payroll cut off. if the employee knows this date and still misses it, they have to wait until next month. if i do overtime at work after the payroll cut off, i don't get this extra money until the month after.
    CCCC #33: £42/£240
    DFW: £4355/£4405
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,292 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    This comes close to a deduction from pay - there is legislation around this which might apply. Also how do they plan to manage tax, NI etc if this happens?

Do all staff have easy access to a computer? Perhaps you could get permission to introduce an electronic form as an alternative to paper?
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,608 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I think the time has come to replace your board of trustees, they are clearly non compos mentis.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,267 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Report them to the Charity Commission

From their website

"We register and regulate charities in England and Wales, to ensure that the public can support charities with confidence."
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Call a payroll processing company or your company accountants and ask what they can suggest for a fully automated timesheet/approval/payment solution. Cheques etc are expensive, you pay a fee for each one.

Managing payroll workflow electronically will let people complete their sheets online, let someone approve their hours online, allow you to make any adjustments you need to make online, go to the processing company who'll make all the PAYE deductions etc automatically, and similarly account for things like student loan deductions. The payroll company will give you an amount you need to transfer to them, then they'll make the payments and post out fully compliant wageslips.

If you're doing it weekly, you may look at going fortnightly or working towards monthly pay cycles - it reduces the administrative overhead and costs. You'll have to stage it probably and allow some "subs" until payday for a couple of months to tide people over...
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Another voice for the 'no, not no way, not no how, not never' campaign.
    if it's an error by the employee not handing in their timesheet on time, why would it be your problem? every work has a payroll cut off. if the employee knows this date and still misses it, they have to wait until next month. if i do overtime at work after the payroll cut off, i don't get this extra money until the month after.
    I agree with this, but ... I was talking to someone the other day who used to work with people who had to supply timesheets, and she was very popular because a week before she needed them, she used to send a reminder out! She said it saved her a lot of grief and meant she usually had every one in a day or two before she needed them.

And it's good that you've started a checking system: a colleague and I are responsible for inputting the monthly changes into an external system. We've got quite good at getting it right first time: we then get another chance to check it when the preview comes back. On our first pass this time I realised that we'd not calculated the pro-rata pay for someone who had changed their hours, and I noticed because 'the system' showed their hourly rate of pay had tripled ... So yes, mistakes happen!

How are the calculations of NI and PAYE and pensions made at the moment? And how is payment made to staff at the moment?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • TrickyDicky101
    TrickyDicky101 Posts: 3,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I think the time has come to replace your board of trustees, they are clearly non compos mentis.

I was wondering something similar - OP, are the trustees really old (as it's the kind of half-baked idea my elderly father might suggest)?
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Absolutely no way.

Firstly it would be a breach of the Data Protection Act for the employer to disclose to you the employee's bank details for you to make payments to them.

Then if you are making payments on behalf of a third party it may put you in a difficult situation with your own bank. Processing payments for a third party might lead to allegations of money laundering.

You are not personally liable to other employees for any mistakes you make in processing wages.

If the employer decides to stop issuing cheques for mispaid wages then the employer must sort out how they deal with claims for missing wages from other employees.

You don't have to negotiate with your employer over this. The answer is no.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    (But it is still a fact that the best way to sell the objection to your [STRIKE]morons[/STRIKE] trustees is that the auditors and Charity Commission wouldn't like it.) :D
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • Laugh in their faces and tell them that's the most ridiculous thing you have ever heard and you are not going to do it and if they don't like it, they can sack you, but they are going to have to put that reason in writing.

Then find a different job as soon as possible, regardless of their response.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure