BG unable to read my electricity smart meter

hansi
hansi Posts: 3,001 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
edited 15 July 2017 at 7:35AM in Energy
For the third month in succession, BG have been unable to read my electricity meter remotely because of a so-called hardware problem and I keep having to supply meter readings. They keep fobbing me off with excuses such as software updates etc, but it still doesn't work. I have made complaints but they keep telling me they are going to sort it. Ok but when? No problem with my gas meter readings. I have made an official complaint, but it seems to be going nowhere. I would add that my display thingy in my kitchen is displaying the meter reads correctly, but I have to submit them manually!

Comments

• House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    edited 15 July 2017 at 10:26AM
    If there is no problem with the gas meter reading ( smart ? ), why is there a problem with a manual reading of the smart electric meter. ?.Its a nice big display, You even have the IHD on the kitchen top working fine. You are obviously online to submit reads in a minute. I m baffled by your complaint and even more baffled by the fact that you say the gas meter is sending in readings ok. The gas meter only sends the reading a few metres to the electric meter which does the job of transmitting both readings to the server..very odd
    Tell BG to include you in normal metering work by their meter reading team. Smart meters are normally taken off system for a pedestrian visit except for the two/five yearly meter check.
    If you have one of the earlier smart meters it will have a simcard in it which may need changing and will need a visit to rectify that.
  • hansi
    Why are you baffled? Smart Meters are designed to be read remotely to produce bills. All I said was that although my gas meter was being read remotely, my electricity meter wasn't. The whole idea of smart meters was that you don't have to supply meter readings.British Gas are aware that there is a problem with it and they trying to fix it, it's just that they are taking forever! So please refrain from making sarcastic comments:mad:
  • littlerock
    littlerock Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    a small group of people here seem to enjoy scolding other posters, to prove their own superiority. Don't let it get to you. Most of us are friendly.:)
  • hansi
    Thanks little rock:beer:
  • House_Martin
    hansi wrote: »
    Why are you baffled? Smart Meters are designed to be read remotely to produce bills. All I said was that although my gas meter was being read remotely, my electricity meter wasn't. The whole idea of smart meters was that you don't have to supply meter readings.British Gas are aware that there is a problem with it and they trying to fix it, it's just that they are taking forever! So please refrain from making sarcastic comments:mad:
    Well heres some more "sarcastic " advice ..you are paying £15 a month to BG in standing charges for a dual fuel deal alone plus higher kwr tariffs than many others..Dump BG (if you dont have exit fees of course ) and switch gas to Daligas, and Electric to Robin Hood Energy and save approx £150/200 a year..BG are way down the list now and do not deserve customer loyalty.
  • hansi
    Well heres some more "sarcastic " advice ..you are paying £15 a month to BG in standing charges for a dual fuel deal alone plus higher kwr tariffs than many others..Dump BG (if you dont have exit fees of course ) and switch gas to Daligas, and Electric to Robin Hood Energy and save approx £150/200 a year..BG are way down the list now and do not deserve customer loyalty.

Thank you for that. For your information ( as you don't know my consumption) my gas and electricity bills are so low that it's not worth me bothering to change. For example. my gas bill last month was just over £13, and my total energy bill for the year is under £600 but thank you for your advice.
  • House_Martin
    edited 15 July 2017 at 4:23PM
    hansi wrote: »
    Thank you for that. For your information ( as you don't know my consumption) my gas and electricity bills are so low that it's not worth me bothering to change. For example. my gas bill last month was just over £13, and my total energy bill for the year is under £600 but thank you for your advice.
    A quick look on Cheap Energy Club and your gas last month at £13 would have been between £8 and £9 for the same period with Zog Energy mostly by much lower standing charges, 26p a day down to 10.5 p..I m a low user like you and personally I m tight enough to think a fiver a month is worth bothering with..Lower monthly electric probably not as high but still worth doing..I d guess at around £100 a year less at least by switching gas and electric to separate suppliers and watching for suppliers with cashback of £30 too but they will probably have exit fees.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure