Ali Express etc and Xaiomi Advice please

D1.f
D1.f Posts: 6 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
Puddled now after 2 days of research and one false start!!
Any advice on what to buy and who from please?
Want a Xaiomi Redmi 4 or 4x, global version, sealed box, pre-installed Google Play, pink or gold.
Thanks
Di

Comments

• dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Personally I wouldn't buy high value items from AliExpress - even if you have a warranty using it is likely to be difficult and expensive. Likewise if you receive a faulty or damaged item you have no consumer rights which you can actually exercise, you'd likely need to pay the cost of returning it.

In general it's the same as eBay - choose a seller that has lots of good feedback and has shipped a lot of orders.

Don't forget to factor import duty, VAT and handling fees into the cost.
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    the difference with AliExpress over ebay is that the vendor doesn't receive funds (which are held by AE) until such time you get the goods and confirm they are acceptable, not damaged, DOA, etc. If they are you let AE know and if you read how it works, then you can be refunded (direct from AE) and often get to keep the faulty goods as well as the vendor doesn't always want them back...
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The issue is often not receiving the goods its x weeks or months down the line when the device fails and you effectively have no warranty.

How many sellers just close down and startup again?

Or you have to send it back to Chiina tracked which costs???
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 May 2017 at 11:13PM
    D1.f wrote: »
    Puddled now after 2 days of research and one false start!!
    Any advice on what to buy and who from please?
    Want a Xaiomi Redmi 4 or 4x, global version, sealed box, pre-installed Google Play, pink or gold.
    Thanks
    Di

You dont ask for much do you.

Not many places you can buy 1 from.

Why that particular phone ?

I also wouldnt buy high value items from a site like Ali Express, not that I dont trust them, its the whole warranty issue, makes it easier if you buy using a credit card.

Ali Express are the official store for Xiaomi phones.
  • D1.f
    edited 18 May 2017 at 11:28PM
    Don't ask you don't get ;).

Thanks for replies. Hit lucky and found the phone on ebay and Shipped from Dublin - accepting PayPal.

Chose the phone from reviews and spec (and blinginess) - based on having champagne taste and a brown ale budget plus liking for shiny things ........ Gambling on tech is the nearest i get to living dangerously. =D

Thanks again and fingers crossed x x
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    :spam:

I smell a whiff of luncheon meat. :)
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,306 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    DoaM wrote: »
    I smell a whiff of luncheon meat. :)
    So do I, so I've reported it.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    I just clicked the :spam: button. :)
  • D1.f
    Hi everyone
    Just wanted to reassure you all it wasn't spam!!

I just thought it would be good manners to give you some feedback as I had taken advice here and not ordered from China.

I'm a 50 something year old talking therapist and my only contact with spam was school dinners 1000 years ago.

Thought also it may help another Mum who's disposable income goes on her son's top of the range tech whilst she's been "embarrassing" him for the last five years with her 'fail phone'.

This site has saved me literally thousands so just wanting to say thank you x
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    D1.f wrote: »
    Hi everyone
    Just wanted to reassure you all it wasn't spam!!

I just thought it would be good manners to give you some feedback as I had taken advice here and not ordered from China.

I'm a 50 something year old talking therapist and my only contact with spam was school dinners 1000 years ago.

Thought also it may help another Mum who's disposable income goes on her son's top of the range tech whilst she's been "embarrassing" him for the last five years with her 'fail phone'.

This site has saved me literally thousands so just wanting to say thank you x

The spam wasn't directed at you, it was at the (now deleted) post by [random username] quoted in DoaM's post above :)
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure