PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlord's mortgage company

Hi

Is it possible to find out the landlord's mortgage company?

Basically he is a nightmare landlord there is damp, he is refusing to fix it because I am unable to move his couch away from the wall to access the damp.

The under counter lights and fan have never worked they were supposed to be fixed before I moved in.

Every time I report an issue he doesn't do anything about it.

I'm paying higher than local rates rent and he is refusing to lower it despite all the faults with the flat.

I suspect he has a residential mortgage and not a BTL mortgage if I could find out the mortgage company I could use it a leverage to fix all the problems.

Comments

• Rejast
    Rejast Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I'm not an expert on tenancy rights etc but you could request a copy of the land registry documents and any mortgage charge will be on there.

If your landlord is on a residential mortgage and not a buy to let, have you considered that threatening to out them may result in you being asked/forced to vacate the property?

I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be along shortly.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Sure you could do that or you could follow Shelter's advice for dealing with landlords who won't carry out repairs instead.

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/repairs/what_to_do_if_your_landlord_wont_do_repairs

Why are you or the landlord unable to move the sofa way from the wall? I have some of these for moving large pieces of furniture when decorating.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002SAJRGS?psc=1
  • aneary
    aneary Posts: 921 Forumite
    I have a tenancy agreement and it ends in August at which point I will hopefully have brought a flat (mortgage application going through) or I will rent elsewhere.

So I think it's unlikely he will try and force me out at this point.
  • aneary
    I can't move the sofa as it's massive and I'm waiting on surgery for a slipped disc, the landlord has had a knee and whilst I have some sympathy the damp has been there since Christmas. The lights haven't been fixed and where supposed to be fixed prior to me moving in August last year.
  • aneary
    As for shelters advise I am trying to come to a resolution via the letting agency however there records are rubbish they are claiming I didn't report things through them as their notes are not up to date I have forwarded all emails etc.

I have asked for a reduction in rent but the agency said the landlord says no.
  • *~Zephyr~*
    *~Zephyr~* Posts: 612 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    What's causing the damp? It started appearing at Christmas you say? Well what changed then that could be causing the problem. Make sure that it's nothing you're doing that's causing it before you rattle the LL cage too hard as it might mean the loss of your deposit.

It is your responsibility to open the windows and air the property properly. Especially if you are drying clothes indoors in the wet weather, or if you're cooking a lot. This is the most common cause of damp problems in houses.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    *~Zephyr~* wrote: »
    What's causing the damp? It started appearing at Christmas you say? Well what changed then that could be causing the problem. Make sure that it's nothing you're doing that's causing it before you rattle the LL cage too hard as it might mean the loss of your deposit.

It is your responsibility to open the windows and air the property properly. Especially if you are drying clothes indoors in the wet weather, or if you're cooking a lot. This is the most common cause of damp problems in houses.
    And a lot of people 'wrap up' instead of using sufficient heating to save costs - trouble is they forget the house needs some heat too. Sounds like winter's had a big impact which does suggest it may not have been warm enough or perhaps clothes have been dried indoors with no/poor ventilation (as suggested). As Zephyr says, tread carefully re grassing him up as it may well be partly your fault.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,621 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    aneary wrote: »
    I suspect he has a residential mortgage and not a BTL mortgage if I could find out the mortgage company I could use it a leverage to fix all the problems.
    Why do you think the LL is on a residential mortgage? They could have Consent to Let in any case. Practically it won't make a difference to as any repossession action would take more than the 3 months you plan to be there.

So it's just to use as leverage? Again is it worth the aggro for 3 months?
    aneary wrote: »
    I have a tenancy agreement and it ends in August at which point I will hopefully have brought a flat (mortgage application going through) or I will rent elsewhere.
    That leaves you with ~3 months to resolve all queries/searches, get surveys done, agree on an exchange and completion date. Depending on the length of the chain, 3 months is possible but not swimming in time. If your purchase does take over 3 months, a LL onside could enable you to agree a mutual surrender when you need to move out without too much overlap. Otherwise you'd have to give notice in line with rental periods (so can be almost 2 months) or sign up to a new fixed term committing to 6-12 months.
  • aneary
    I suspect he is on a residential mortgage as he brought the place to live in but then all his work was in a different area so he rents it out and lives with his parents although last year he lived there for 8 months.

The damp is most likely caused by the terrace being higher than the floor and the damp membrane being damaged (it's a build under 10 years ago) it appears on external walls in the bedroom (two areas) and living room the windows are always open at least at a tilt so the flat is well aired. Also I don't do cold so I don't hesitate putting the heating on.

The flat which the offer is on doesn't have a chain but if there is a gap I can as a temp basis move to my parents it will mean an hour each way drive but short term it will be okay.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 17 May 2017 at 2:50PM
    You have absolutely no evidence he is breaching his mortgage terms. Even if he DID originally buy it on a residential mortgage to live in he may have

* switched to a BTL mortgage or
    * received CTL

Instead of trying to resort to blackmail, why not enforce your repairing rights properly? Read:

* Repairing Obligations: the law, common misconceptions, reporting/enforcing, retaliatory eviction & the new protection (2015)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure