Business start up loan & Debt clear help please.

2»

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Thank you all for the advice, It is very much appreciated. I have struggled with Anxiety and Depression issues in the past, had a breakdown and things started to snowball. Things are much better these days, and I found balance a while back, I wouldn't even consider starting up otherwise. I have found a gap in the market, which my business will fit into nicely, there are currently similar formats doing very well, simply selling through social media, but my idea is better and should attract far more attention. I have no intentions if jumping ship, but I was thinking of the potential risk attached to me in the banks eyes, I think trying to find a start up, and starting off small is probably my best option then. I can start off small, I was hoping for an easier option so I could really make waves from the off, I guess if it were easy though, everyone would be doing it.

Whats the money exactly for ?

Buy a domain and get a website built to sell.
  • Hate to say it but A, you need to put up 30-50% of any business funding from your savings or security on your home, and B you seem wildly over optimistic to the point of not being credible.
    The instructions on the box said 'Requires Windows 7 or better'. So I installed LINUX :D:D
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hey guys,

I'm looking to start a business that I think will become very successful in a short space of time. A lifestyle brand, connected to a foundation of goodness.

There are key phrases there that make me jumpy -

"very successful in a short space of time" - thats very unlikely. Unless you truly have discovered a goose that lays golden eggs. Are your expectations realistic?

"A lifestyle brand" - brands are generally expensive to establish. Lifestyle brands moreso.

Borrowing heavily to start a business saddles that business with debt. Not only that, no-one is going to lend a brand new unproven business money that is not secured by you personally, so if you borrow £50,000 for talk sake, the business fails a year down the line, then you personally would be liable for the repayment of the loan.

Also, starting and running your own business is VERY stressful, so you might want to consider the impact on your longstanding health issues too.
  • 27cool
    27cool Posts: 267 Forumite
    With respect. What the hell is "a foundation of goodness".
  • 27cool
    27cool Posts: 267 Forumite
    I'm still mystified as to what is a "foundation of goodness". Perhaps someone other than the OP knows..
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I can only assume it's similar to a "happy ending".
  • Clive_Woody
    Clive_Woody Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    27cool wrote: »
    I'm still mystified as to what is a "foundation of goodness". Perhaps someone other than the OP knows..

Is this some of building project where they hide bodies in the foundations (bodies of good people in this case it appears)?
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • Alderbank
    Alderbank Posts: 2,804 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    'Foundation of Goodness' http://www.unconditionalcompassion.org/indexc.php is a charity founded in Ceylon to help the education of poor children by donating them school uniforms, satchels, stationery, etc. It looks very worthwhile.

A lifestyle brand is a product range featuring the chosen charity and where a percentage of the purchase price is donated to the charity. Feelgood factor is key. There are lots of companies making lifestyle brands. 'Sevenly' https://www.sevenly.org/collections/humanitarian is one example.

I can see that a business selling lifestyle branded childrenswear and homework supplies for example might work; as the OP says it's not a novel idea; but the sheer effort and stress involved to get it off the ground for anyone, let alone someone who suffers from anxiety, would be substantial
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure