Can I cancel and get a refund on my flight?

ah23
ah23 Posts: 49 Forumite
I purchased flights to Canada (Toronto) for £400 through a travel agents called TravelUp in mid July 2016. If it's worth anything, I purchased premium travel insurance around the same time. Now it looks like I can't make the trip for personal reasons. What are my rights, can I get my money back seen as it's so far ahead (travelling June 2017)? The airline is British Airways

Should I just ask the travel agents or make a claim through my insurance? Would I get my refund? If not, could I reschedule the flights to a few months later, say August?

Thank you

Comments

• What do the conditions of the ticket say?

Are your reasons for cancelling covered by your insurance?
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If the reason to cancel is not covered by your policy then you need to look at the fare rules of the ticket
    BA do sell fully refundable tickets but for London to Toronto in economy these cost £1,960.
    If you were cancelling a non-refundable ticket you would likely get the APD (£73) back less any fees your agent applies
    You will likely be able to change the dates but the lowest fares have a £150 per leg plus fare difference so, if you can find dates that suit with the same fare you would pay £300...again you would need to pay your agents fees on top
  • Why aren't you asking the people you booked through?
    travelover
  • Caz3121 wrote: »
    You will likely be able to change the dates but the lowest fares have a £150 per leg plus fare difference so, if you can find dates that suit with the same fare you would pay £300...again you would need to pay your agents fees on top

BA dont charge the change fee per fare component (sector/leg) its once per transaction, so £150.
  • You're not entitled to a refund for your ticket, unless it was a fully flexible ticket. For £400 it would have been about the cheapest ticket available.

If your reason for cancelling is covered by your insurance then get Travelup to cancel the flight, get a cancellation document and make a claim. If not all you can expect to get back is the government and/or airport taxes, less any fees that Travelup will charge you.

The change fee on the cheaper tickets is £150 per sector, and all sectors can be repriced.
  • The change fee on the cheaper tickets is £150 per sector, and all sectors can be repriced.

That is really not the case, BA recently made the cancellation fee per sector but the change fee is still per transaction on all the routes that I am aware of, cheapest published fare to YTO

CHARGE GBP 150.00 FOR REISSUE/REVALIDATION.
    NOTE -
    WITH THE EXCEPTION OF TICKETS CHANGED IN THE US
    ANY PENALTY FEE MUST BE COLLECTED VIA AN EMD.
    REFER TO SPEEDBIRDCLUB.COM OR BATRAVELTRADE.COM
    AND YOUR GDS FOR INSTRUCTIONS.
    CHARGE APPLIES PER TRANSACTION - PER PERSON FOR
    ALL PASSENGER TYPES.
    INFANTS WITHOUT A SEAT - NO CHARGE.

A CHANGE IS A DATE/FLIGHT/ROUTING/BOOKING CODE
    CHANGE. NEW RESERVATION AND REISSUE/REVALIDATION
    REISSUE MUST BE MADE THE SAME DAY AS CHANGE OF
    RESERVATION BUT NO LATER THAN SCHEDULED DEPARTURE
    TIME OF FLIGHT BEING CHANGED.
    OTHERWISE THE TICKET WILL ONLY BE VALID FOR
    REFUND IF APPLICABLE.
    WHEN MORE THAN ONE FARE COMPONENT IS CHANGED THE
    HIGHEST PENALTY OF ALL CHANGED FARE COMPONENTS
    WITHIN THE JOURNEY APPLIES.
  • Another Travel Up issue ? They are a nightmare, dont believe a word that they say. They will promise to fix things and then ignore you. I took them to the small claims court and won. See a solicitor for a free 30 minute session, establish your facts and be persistent. Good luck.
  • But you won't get a refund just for a change of mind!
    travelover
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Nothing to do with TravelUp . OP has booked a low cost non changeable ticket and now doesn't want to go. Telling her to waste time on a solicitor or money on them or on court fees is ridiculous.

TravelUp hasn't promised to fix anything she hasn't even contacted them (reading the thread before jumping to conclusions is usually a good idea ).

It might be non refundable or it be be changeable for a fee (plus fare difference as August is dearer than May) however OP needs to find this out from the agent and not just make assumptions.
    Another Travel Up issue ? They are a nightmare, dont believe a word that they say. They will promise to fix things and then ignore you. I took them to the small claims court and won. See a solicitor for a free 30 minute session, establish your facts and be persistent. Good luck.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family