PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Changing the locks....

Comments

• We did. The vendor did our viewing accompanied by his son (as he didn't drive). The son had been doing work around the garden etc and totally creeped us out. Clearly an alcoholic as in both viewings he had drunk driven, the sheds had enough empty Stella cans to fill a skip from 'a couple of pints whilst gaedening' and he made a couple of sexual innuendo remarks to us both. We were batsh*t scared the son was going to come round after we moved in. Also get the alarm code changed too.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    One of the selling points I guess of our house, were we ever to sell it, is a secure front bike shed - the house is close enough to commute into the city in 30 minutes on bike or ride to a train station 3/4 of a mile away. I can get a replacement key cut only with relevant security checks with the manufacturer and could easily, were I that way inclined, have a copy made, sell the house and then help myself in a week or so to whatever they stored.

Of course I'd change the locks, only takes one muppet losing a keyring with the address on it (lent to the pet sitter or whatever) and anyone can be in. Peace of mind in knowing only you have the keys is invaluable
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Never have, always say I definitely will.

One of those questions only you yourself can answer. Really can't see how it matters what anyone else does. I would advise changing them, but don't practice what I preach!
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I did it for mine.
  • SavvySaver24
    SavvySaver24 Posts: 196 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Appreciate you can buy cheap locks but in terms of getting a locksmith to fit them how much are we talking?
  • No big deal to pay the cost of having a locksmith in even to change the locks. My 3 (back door, front door, boiler room door) were being changed by a locksmith for me literally the day I moved in here.

Seem to recall it was less than £100 for the 3 of them and his labour.

I wouldnt dream of not changing the locks.

Out of interest someone else may recall/like to give a link to a recent thread on here where a family came back to find the boyfriend/husband of last owner in the house having a right rant at them etc - as he'd been away and she'd sold the house behind his back.

We've also heard about previous owners coming back to retrieve belongings they left in the house - ie the new owner knew they were now theirs - but the PO had come along/let themselves in/stolen them.

Who knows what may happen all round if locks havent been changed on a house - as others have said we all tend to give spare keys to various people at different points and any one of them could have had a spare key cut that we don't know about.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 13 July 2018 at 9:06AM
    Some of us live in places where doors are rarely locked. Sadly, I think that's probably changing.

There was one house burglary in our village last year; the first for many years, but it was opportunists from outside the area, which meant they were recognised as suspicious by locals. Lurk here, and you'll be noticed and quite probably spoken to. These guys cleared off after only one theft, but it was one too many.

A good pair of neighbour's eyes + a brain that cares enough is still a useful addition to whatever security devices people have.
  • kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    I advised my daughter and son-in-law to change the locks on their house when they bought it four years ago. Two days ago, a chap turned up wanting his belongings. He said that he was the previous owner (everything was dealt with via an agent, so my daughter and SiL didn't meet the previous owners). He had obviously been drinking, and another neighbour lower down had already contacted the police because of anti-social behaviour.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,985 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    We didn't bother, but we're renting the house out at the moment. When we get it back to move in ourselves, we'll do it then.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• nyermen
    nyermen Posts: 1,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Currently house hunting, and have seen my agent locking up with his set of keys, just as another agent arrives for a viewing with another set of keys. Who knows how many copies there are.

So first on my list of two mandatory things to do on completion, is change the locks!
    (second is change the toilet seats!! :))
    Peter

Debt free - finally finished paying off £20k + Interest.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure